Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
I may just do the back area for now. I'll probably schedule one weekend for doing this mod if im not too lazy. How long did it take you for you to do your back area?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
It actually didnt take me as long as the doors and such since it a big area and once you remove the plastic its pretty easy to lay everything down. I'd say about 5 hours or less including removing everything and putting everything back. I did the rear in one night.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Has anyone tried to sound deaden the engine-firewall (engine side)? With the random crap that is mounted to the firewall I'm nervous about attempting this with know someone that has done this successfully... Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
You should be fine installing it there. Just cover up the wall only. If I ever get around to doing it, I'll post it.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
Wow..I just found this thread. Smeister, you are the most patient person on Fitfreak!!!! I did this once in 2002 with my Tacoma truck. It was a lot of work to pull all seats and carpet out. I had two friends helping me and they were overwhelmed by the amount of work. The hard part was to poke holes for the seat rail studs / console..etc. There were also a few wires running along the door sills area also. Do you find the same for the Fit?

I am thinking of doing this but the time consuming part is keep me away. It wasn't a a good experience staying in the cold garage at night doing this I recall. I plan to run some power / audio cables under the carpet while I am doing this (in case I do stereo upgrade later). Have you thought about this (e.g., amp / sub in the truck area)?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
I think this person is MORE patient then me.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ound+deadening

I did not take out the seats, but the doors were a lot of work. If you lay down the sound deadening on top of holes, just cover them and cut them out later. I found that is the easiest and best way to do it. If there were any wires I just covered underneath it.

I have all the audio and power wiring done for my car to support up to 3 amplifiers. Right now I have components powered by a small amp and a selfpowered subwoofer that I am planning to replace with a 10" subwoofer and new amp sometime down the road.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have pics of where they sound deadened the firewall? I'm not sure where to start on this. Can anything be done from the engine compartment or is it better to stay inside?

Old 12-16-2007, 02:44 PM
You'd probably be better off starting in the cabin of the car. When I looked at my gf's Fit, the engine bay looks so cramped that you'd probably have a very hard time getting any sound deadening material on the firewall without putting it up on a lift or jack stands. I don't think that the 1.5l L15A makes enough noise (even with an I/H/E set up) to justify going through the trouble. If you haven't done anything yet, I'd start by removing the interior and using sound deadening material on the floorboard, headliner, door skins, hatch/trunk area.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
smeister, great write up! I was wondering if you ever installed batting matterial in your rear wheel wells? Did it help with the noise reduction siginifcantly?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
It should definitely help. The more sound deadening in that area the better. I think the rear wheel wells and where the spare is are the major areas producing noise. The sound deadening that already comes with the Fit is actually stuck on the big plastic pieces that are covered the rear wheel wells AND the rear wheel well and spare tire has some sound deadening material on it already (kinda like eDead but no aluminum foil on top of it).

Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone think it would be worth layering neoprene over Edead for the floor/ floorboard? I put just Edead under the rear seats and it really seems to help quiet things down. I'm trying to get the guts to try to remove the front seats.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
If I had enough neoprene, I would have. The eDead V1.2 that I used only really absorbs the metal vibration noise and SOME sound, but the close cell neoprene really absorbs sound compared to the eDead.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Do you think regular 1/4" closed cell neoprene would be as effective as the Edead Teklite neoprene?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
I think it would. I think the edead Teklite is the same thing, but it has an adhesive side for an easier installation and cost more than just neoprene alone.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry for more questions. Does the neoprene have to be glued down? I would think in the case of the floor the neoprene would stay down fine under the carpet. Will the sound absorption be better if there is some form of adhesive?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
rear cargo light stays on

Just curious. When I'm installing deadening in the rear cargo area with the hatch open...the cargo light is on the whole time. Do you disconnect the battery while working with the rear hatch open?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I used some 3M spray adhesive and glued it to the eDead, but you could just lay it down there. When you lay it down you want a big solid piece instead of a bunch of small pieces with gaps inbetween.

It's just a tiny bulb, don't worry about it. I kept mine on the whole time. It gets warm, but nothing to be concerned about unless you are worried about the bulbs life of course.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeister
It's just a tiny bulb, don't worry about it. I kept mine on the whole time. It gets warm, but nothing to be concerned about unless you are worried about the bulbs life of course.
Thanks. was more wondering about battery drain. Sorry...I'm a car mod newbie. Saw all the sound deadening threads and tried stuffing batting material in the rear wheel wells and spare tire area...was suprised by noise reduction. Looking @ using RAAMmat BXT and Ensolite. Tried ordering eDead but shipping was almost as much as the eDead itself.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Buy eDead on ebay.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raton
Thanks. was more wondering about battery drain. Sorry...I'm a car mod newbie. Saw all the sound deadening threads and tried stuffing batting material in the rear wheel wells and spare tire area...was suprised by noise reduction. Looking @ using RAAMmat BXT and Ensolite. Tried ordering eDead but shipping was almost as much as the eDead itself.
The eDead I bought on eBay from Elemental Designs, but you can get it cheaper from the actual website Elemental Designs and use the 20% off coupon that is floating around in their forums. It was about $65 shipped after the 20% off coupon for 60 sqft and I paid $70 for 60 sqft but also got a roller. You don't really need the roller, but it is nice to have.

The neoprene and adhesive spray I purchased from The Foam Factory. Here's a directly link Neoprene Sheets, Rubber, Poker Table Foam, Neoprene Pads. I got two rolls of the 72"x42" Neoprene High Quality 1/4" Thick. I paid $51 shipped for a total of 48 sqft of neoprene and one can of adhesive spray.

Quick Reply: DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping