Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, so I did one layer of eDead on the front floors and wheel wells and neoprened them with two layers. I didn't hear much of a difference in sound, which is strange, but I'll report back in a few days when I get more highway driving in. I could have used 4 more sqft of the eDead to finish up the front area better. I may get some damplifier for the hood, but right now I doubt it.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Since I've been driving it a while now I can truly say the sound deadening is a great mod to the Fit. The doors feel more solid. For example, if you knock on the door it doesn't make a pinging noise but instead of more of a thud noise. The sound seems to stay in the car instead of fade away or get droned out. The bass sounds more responsive. I can talk to people with my normal voice level instead of raising it...especially with people in the back. Pretty much everyone who has ridden in my ride has noticed that it is quieter. I am a happy sound deadener!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
Updated with pictures with descriptions on the first page.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Nice write up. Sound deadening is always a great modification, even if you don't plan on having a big system. I love having a quiet car. I've put on 2 layers of B-Quiet Extreme on my door skins, 1 layer on the door frames, and 1 layer on the door panels, and a layer on my trunk lid. It's made a huge difference in road noise. I'm planning on pulling out the interior of my car and doing the floor and the roof this summer.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
I want to see pics of this! I am still contemplating about doing the firewall and hood. There's a lot of noise coming from that 1.5L motor.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Put in a bigger stereo system. That'll take care of that.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by radareclipse
Put in a bigger stereo system. That'll take care of that.
Then your stereo would have to be louder than the road noise to compensate. Dynamat is cheaper than stereo equipment.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
im looking to get the dynamat xtreme bulk pack...is it worth it?, and second question is, should i get the dynaliner as well?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
You want to use a lot of Xtreme. You can do without the Dynaliner. I used some on the rear floor over the Xtreme and it just made it almost impossible to reinstall the rear seat catch brackets because Honda doesn't allow for all that added thickness.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm not trying to crap all over Dynamat, but it is pretty over priced. The B-Quiet Extreme that I used is a lot cheaper and works just as well. B-Quiet actually has an eBay store/seller where you can find B-Quiet stuff. Do a little research before you plop down too much money for a name when there's plenty of other products that are just as good and half the price.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Old 09-07-2007, 04:41 PM
That's a very good read. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm impressed with what I've read so far.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Just keep in mind the material is a little dated.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't reccomend B-quiet. it's too thin and requires alot of layers to very effective. Edead and Raammat60 are good alternatives to Dynamat Extreme. I'll be using 4 dynamat extreme bulkpacks on my fit. But I manage a car stereo shop so I get some pretty hge discounts. Otherwise I'd be going with RAAM60 for sure.

Good write up!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 AM
"We both think its coming from the front wheels so I'll try to sound deaden the that area next and see if we were right or not. Sound deadening continues..."

I just used 3.5 cans of spray undercoat on my fit and have done everything but the rear wheelwells (that's tomorrow's job)(first was 2.5 cans on the underside while I had access to a lift, then 1 can on the front wheelwells the other night).

I now think the road noise is coming from the *back* of the car - so it may be a simpler fix than you think to reduce some of the noise from the front wheelwells.

After I finish the back wheelwells, I'll post again and let you know if the noise shifts front again to any noticable degree.

One immediate thing I noticed - the undercoat really makes a difference when you drive over any loose gravel. There's no more of that tinny pinging when the gravel hits the underside of the car!

BTW, thanks for posting the pics - that will come in handy since I will be taking on deadening the inside of the car next.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Keep me posted. I was thinking about using that rubberized spray for the wheelwells.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 PM
OK, I used one full can on the rear wheelwells, which unlike the front wells turned out looked to have been fairly well undercoated from the factory (they just sprayed body color paint over the undercoat). They're now really well undercoated.

Unfortunately I didn't notice much of a difference noise-wise. I'm actually wondering if the noise might be coming through the rear air exit vent, since it's back behind the rear wheelwells (facing the back of the car behind the bumper, I think on the passenger side). Not too much to do about that, I guess.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
LOL...i read this post last nite...on my way to work i started to listen to my car and have noticed the road noise and what nots...my parents own a mercedes and a lexus and I do recall not hearing much when in their cars...makes me want to do this mod >.< but that requires $$$ which i don't really have lol...i read most of that article last nite too and it put me some insight about this stuff...

Old 09-20-2007, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
I know most of the noise comes from the rear wheel wells and trunk because once I finished the rear, while the front was untouched, the noise really went down. The front doors also made a difference. Too bad spraying the rear fenders didn't help too much. I think I will sound deaden the firewall on the engine bay side and also the hood when I get a chance.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Amageus
LOL...i read this post last nite...on my way to work i started to listen to my car and have noticed the road noise and what nots...my parents own a mercedes and a lexus and I do recall not hearing much when in their cars...makes me want to do this mod >.< but that requires $$$ which i don't really have lol...i read most of that article last nite too and it put me some insight about this stuff...
It costs me about $130 for the materials and just a lot of time. It is very time consuming. If you are planning to do it, I suggest starting with the back or just doing the rear area. It makes a huge difference.

Quick Reply: DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping