Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Infinity Reference or Kappas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Infinity Reference or Kappas?

First off, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to car audio but I have done some reading.

I have chosen to go with an Infinity Basslink II for simplicity and space, but I'd like to upgrade the front speakers also. I'd like to go with either the Reference or Kappas simply because of the shallow mounting depth as they should be fairly easy to install.

Most of the reviews I've read about the Kappas people have noted that you need to amplify them to sound good. Will they really sound bad with just the headunit power? Should I just go with the References? The Kappas aren't much more than the Refs so I don't mind spending a little more money for better sound.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2007, 12:19 PM
need more info

Dude, please don't take this wrong. I'm not criticizing your plan, just trying to clarify it before I offer any opinion. With that in mind, I have questions:

1) Are you keeping the original head unit?
2) Are you looking for thump, or good clean sound?
3) Are you trying to avoid using outboard amplification?
4) Are you planning to use a passive high-pass filter for the front speakers?

In general, I'm skeptical that you'd hear much improvement at all if you upgrade the front speakers, but drive them full-range with head unit power.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I'm looking for some thump as I feel that's part of the bass experience, but I definately want clean, balanced sound.

As for the headunit, I've considered upgrading it but it seems like a lot of trouble the way it's designed. I've seen the dash replacements, but I'd like to avoid upgrading the headunit unless it's necessary.

I'm trying to avoid any unnecessary amplification to save space as I just want good, clean sound inside my car. I'm not sure if the front speakers require more power to achieve this or if it's simply just a matter of upgrading to better materials. What's your opinion on this?

I'm not too sure about the filter question...I'd plan on hooking up the crossover that comes with the speakers.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Ok, heres what I think. Cappas are more expensive, and are better. But I think you need to talk to someone with more knowledge than you or your buddies have. Go talk to a pro. BUT!!! do not buy from thows vultures. Heres my system(that Im about to get installed as soon as the Schoce face plate comes out. New head unit with dvd. infiity references component in fron and coaxial in back. Infinity basslink subwoofer. Infinity 444 watt 4 channel amp. (for the door speakers.) But keep in mind Im on a budget.(im a full time student.)
I think If you just switch out the door speakers you are going to be dissapointed with your results. Because you are still going to have the relatively crapy head unit up front, and low wattage(so youll have a crappy sound played through very nice speakers). :-\ Sorry to dissapoint. But yeah, cappas are more high end, but It may be true that they need more wattage to power them well.(they need a higher end system to release there potential).
Any who I just checked up on this stuff, and out of the two I recomend the kappas(i miss-spelled it earlier...), but to be real I think you would be happier with anything with a new and better head unit.
Ok, heres the plan. Get a dvd player for the front. A sweet infinity 6 channel amp. Get 3 pairs of 6 1/2" Infinity perfect speakers. Get the Inity basslink system(the one with a 10" and 2 passive radiators), get the bass installed on a flase floor in the trunk area. Get the inf prefs. installed in all 4 doors and a pair installed in the hatch, install the dvd in the dash, and the amp in a flase floor under the bass. Then proceed to have the coolest syst in an american fit in the world right now!(that I know of)