Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Tree sap on upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Tree sap on upholstery

We bought a record-breaking size Christmas tree that nearly touches the ceiling and we fit it in the Fit, along with 3 adults! We used refresh mode, put the tree in trunk first, and kept one back seat in place that allowed us to use the center and end seat belt. Only problem: tree sap. My upholstery cleaner got the sticky part off, but there's still a white residue on the black plush upholstery. A search turned up WD-40 and Goo Gone, but I'm not sure if that may replace one stain with another one. Any suggestions?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Could the residue be from the upholstery cleaner? If so, you could try repeatedly dabbing a damp sponge on the area, alternating with dabbing wih a dry, lint-free cloth. I say "dab" because you want to lift the residue out of the fabric rather than work it down into the fabric.

The recommended treatment for tree sap (I used to work at a County Extension Office) is to apply an ice cube to the sap and then gently scrape the area with a butter knife (a non-serated knife). I've never heard of a whilte residue remaining after that. Sap is considered an oily stain, so you could try an aerosal laudry pre-treatment/stain spray, let it sit a minute or so and then use the damp sponge/lint-free cloth dabbing motion. (Fulsol by Fuller Brush is great for oily botanical stains but I think you might only be able to buy it from a dealer.) Before I'd use ANY product, I'd test it on an inconspicuos area to make sure it doesn't bleach out or otherwise change the color or damage the nap of your upholstery.

I've always been so obsessive about my cars' interiors that I'm feeling your pain.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kgustaf
Could the residue be from the upholstery cleaner? If so, you could try repeatedly dabbing a damp sponge on the area, alternating with dabbing wih a dry, lint-free cloth. I say "dab" because you want to lift the residue out of the fabric rather than work it down into the fabric.

The recommended treatment for tree sap (I used to work at a County Extension Office) is to apply an ice cube to the sap and then gently scrape the area with a butter knife (a non-serated knife). I've never heard of a whilte residue remaining after that. Sap is considered an oily stain, so you could try an aerosal laudry pre-treatment/stain spray, let it sit a minute or so and then use the damp sponge/lint-free cloth dabbing motion. (Fulsol by Fuller Brush is great for oily botanical stains but I think you might only be able to buy it from a dealer.) Before I'd use ANY product, I'd test it on an inconspicuos area to make sure it doesn't bleach out or otherwise change the color or damage the nap of your upholstery.

I've always been so obsessive about my cars' interiors that I'm feeling your pain.
Thanks for the tips. The residue was still a little hard and sticky. I found "Blue Magic" at Target, which worked great. The label said it removed difficult stains, including tar. I was able to use a soft cloth. Two different fabric cleaners failed. I posted a photo of the tree in the Fit after we got it home. Next time I'll wrap the tree in a sheet!