Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Why does the fit S knob have to be so nice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Why does the fit S knob have to be so nice?

It's making it very hard to find a knob worth replacing!!! I want that mugen civic si knob, which is a titanium sphere with numbers engraved on it. But I don't know if they'll sell it individually, or it can only come w/ the car.

Lots of knobs I find aren't even equal to the Fit S knob.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Just ordered a VooDoo spun aluminum with the 5 sp shift pattern engraved on it.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Where did you get it? I can't find it on froogle or anywhere.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gordio
Where did you get it? I can't find it on froogle or anywhere.
Had to special order with the 5 speed shift pattern from Rick's s2k.
http://www.ricks2k.com/home.php

Old 11-30-2006, 12:06 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
I got the skunk2 anniversary knob. I LOVE it.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by FitSam
Had to special order with the 5 speed shift pattern from Rick's s2k.
http://www.ricks2k.com/home.php
So you just asked him to use the 6 speed one, but modify it?

I like the font on the skunk one. Do you think it's too much work? The worst case, I can just use a scanner and scan an image of my brother's aluminum 6 speed s2000 knob (which has a font) and photoshop it and then email it.

But you think these guys are artists enough they can do this for me? (or the easiest way to do this is tell me the font those knobs use, unless it's a custom font)

this is what I'm going for (from mugen edition of civic sedan si) or this http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/06/civictyper07_int.jpg

Last edited by Gordio; 11-30-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 PM
edit: grr why won't I just scan/photo, delete parts of the image to keep the fit S's numbers. That would be even better than all those I mentioned on the post above. I'll post a pic later of the jpeg and tell me what you think.

http://www.ricks2k.com/products/shiftknob.php
I might want the colors red, cuz my fit is red. (based on the "pimp" pic, i assuming the custom one allows color?)

Last edited by Gordio; 11-30-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Right, they are gonna modify the 6 speed to a 5 speed for me. The one I have on my S2000 is pearl white and I spray painted the shift pattern black!
The VooDoo shift knob is counter sunk and sits much lower on the shift lever making for a shorter throw.
The picture you showed looks like the OEM shift knob off an 01 S2000, or the optional titanium one.

Last edited by FitSam; 11-30-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Okay here's waht I did. Instead of using a photo of the fit's numbers, I decided to find out what font they use, and draw the 5speed pattern from scratch, b/c photos would be blurry.

I found the font for the Fit's numbers. I'm at work, but I toyed with the fonts before I slept. It is a font (forgot it's name. I'm at work, and i definitely know this computer lacks that font) but even when you use it, you have to shrink it vertically, and skew it (give it "italics"). I'll show you the result tonight as a jpeg and tell me what you think. I might submit it to the website as a custom decal. I am thinking if I should put a tiny "Fit" icon near the 12345R numbers

Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Too bad you can't just get the 5 sp pattern without paying the xtra bucks for the custom engraving.

I really like the look but I don't want to have to shell out $100 for a knob with the 5 speed shift pattern on it, and I'd feel uncomfortable with just the plain one - I have some friends who will probably drive it from time to time, and some of them have VW's (which have R in a different location) It would be nice to still have the shift pattern on the knob for that reason...

Anybody with the skunk2 or typeR shifters: Does they end up raising or lowering the shift position any, i.e. changing the throw at all? I like the looks of a typeR knob a bit better, but the last thing I want to do is lenghten the throw. I see some on Ebay for pretty cheap that seem ok.....

Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by RedAndy
Too bad you can't just get the 5 sp pattern without paying the xtra bucks for the custom engraving.

I really like the look but I don't want to have to shell out $100 for a knob with the 5 speed shift pattern on it, and I'd feel uncomfortable with just the plain one - I have some friends who will probably drive it from time to time, and some of them have VW's (which have R in a different location) It would be nice to still have the shift pattern on the knob for that reason...

Anybody with the skunk2 or typeR shifters: Does they end up raising or lowering the shift position any, i.e. changing the throw at all? I like the looks of a typeR knob a bit better, but the last thing I want to do is lenghten the throw. I see some on Ebay for pretty cheap that seem ok.....
After ordering the VooDoo I started to wonder if I could have ordered it plain and then get it engraved here locally. Not sure if it would be any cheaper that way or not, as you are right about costing a bit much .

Old 12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RedAndy

the throw length is the same with my skunk2 but the extra weight on the knob makes the shift alot smoother.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:21 PM

What do you think? I think i'll make the number fatter and fix the spacing between the "grid" and the numbers. I might make the fit logo bigger relative to the entire thing.

side by side comparison. The only major flaw is the "R" is wrong font but oh well. I actually think honda messed up, cuz the R is differnt font than the numbers. it's "slant" of the italicized is even a larger tilt

Last edited by Gordio; 12-02-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Looks great!

Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Check here for pic's of the VooDoo installed!http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=446318

Old 12-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Looks sweet!
Do you notice the throw difference much?
How does the weight of the knob compare w/the stock one?
Which finish did you get? The one you got looks like it matches nicely with the silver trim around the bottom of the boot. Is this the spun aluminum or the pearl??

Old 12-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes, the throw feels shorter right away. As far as weight my guess is not much, if any difference. It does match well, and it's spun aluminum.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Thats nice. I hope it's not too short; i'm 5'4 and have short arms. i practically use the entire length of my arm to shift to fifth!

Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Cool - thanks for the info

Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 AM
I got mine. Im glad, but the font for the numbers is NOT the one I chose..which kinda sucks cuz I actually spent more time on that than the "Fit" part. 2 hours. I think they mistook it for a genreic font than a font i desired. Oh well no use complaining

I'm painting it now. kinda hard cuz its nightime, and this is hte first time i'm spraypainting and it isn't as easy as i thought it would be. it isn't even..hopefully i can fix it w/o making the paint too thick..which might be a possibility :\

Quick Reply: Why does the fit S knob have to be so nice?