Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Acura CL Maplights w/Homelink install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 PM
japanparts.com or j-r racing

Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Sweet

Got mine installed ... still trying to get the homelink to work though ...

Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mr-cappy
japanparts.com or j-r racing
direct link to either one? couldn't find it if my life depended on it. thanks

Old 08-22-2007, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Some questions on the wiring …

I went out to the salvage yards today but didn’t find the maplink … but did find one with the maplight missing so I cut off the connector … so at least I got the connector …
NOTE: during my research the Acura CL only offered the maplight with homelink WITHOUGHT sunglass holder in 98 and 99 … there was no Acura CL in 2000 and the 2001 model has the sunglass holder

I understand the positive to light and negative to ground … but to help clarify …

Wyy183 mentioned the red wire with white strip which is the center wire in the tree-pin connector … does this serve your memory also?

Spider2k mentioned one is constant 12v, one is ground and negative is switched from the door circuit

eGadgetGeek mentioned … “I tested my light this evening with a battery to make sure everything worked. The switched lights come on with the two outside pins powered. When you take the center pin to ground it lights the lights as long as they aren't already turned on. So, this would mean they are negative switched from the door circuit. Haven't pulled the dome light yet to see how it is wired”

So to help clarify everything … as shown in the pic …

The top pin goes to ground?
The bottom pin goes to the dome light red/white stripe wire?
The middle pin goes to the dome light green/brown stripe wire (to turn on lights when door is open)?
I am about to install mine and just would like verify that the green/brown striped wire does go to the center of three pins. Thanks.

Last edited by smeister; 08-22-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
I got mine installed. The open and close door switch also worked when I first tested it, but I guess I ended up shorting something out and now it doesnt work anymore. Oh well, here's a pic.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eGadgetGeek
Anybody have time to drive to Ohio and install mine for me? I was so excited to get the thing but can't find a half an hour of unitterrupted time to get it installed. Got a template for the cut out and everything.
Well, not quite a year later but close. Finally got my maplink installed and working. Made the mistake of showing my 5 year old the Homelink button for the garage door. Now every time we pull into the driveway she wants to open the garage door.

I wasn't able to get the center pin to work when the door opens. It worked fine with the battery outside the car but the way it is wired in the car must be screwy. That will be another day of troubleshooting to figure it out.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Replaced Map light in 2009 Sport

The 2009 Sport comes with a map light. Has anybody tried replacing the plain old map light with the homelink one? If so, can you share which vehicle did you get it out of (or a part # or location that you purchaced it)?

I won't have my SSM MT NAV until the end of the month, and I'd HATE to have to find my old garage door opener and clip it to the visor!!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
nice install man... good idea too.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Has anybody tried swapping this out on a 2009 Fit Sport (with map light)? Is it a size match? Any cutting required?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
I WANT THIS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! But I ain't willing to pay 200 buckaroonies to just get the piece! ALL the ones I could find on eBay have the sunglasses thingy, and y'all already said it won't fit right. I looked all over japanparts. com and they don't have Acura parts. Could find j-r racing, except Dale Jr sites. Please, can anyone tell me where to get one for a reasonable price?!?!?!?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Got mine installed ... still trying to get the homelink to work though ...
your install looks great but isn't the roof console a little too far back? its almost touching the dome light haha

sucks that the version with the sunglass holder doesn't work because there are a ton of those on ebay

Old 02-08-2009, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
Bringing this back from the dead I suppose, but it's just because I'm about to install mine as well. Anyways, to all those that want this part I would recommend searching for "acura homelink" on eBay...you can find it listed at $19.99 (grey) and $15 (tan) Buy It Now! There's another at $39.99 but that's for the desperate.

And if anyone's successful with their install in SoCal, hit me up! I'd rather have someone with experience to help me with my own install!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by usmc0341
There's another at $39.99 but that's for the desperate.
That's the one I just bought and have been watching for awhile! I never saw any with homelink at $15 in ANY color! Tell you what, mine showed up with the bracket, and a pigtail to wire to, so I'm okay with the price. I know of people paid more. Was going to put it in this weekend, but ended up working (like, right now) and a ton of snow is falling I'll have to clear tomorrow. Oh,well, I'll get to it. Hey, the previous pics are correct for the color connections, yes?

EDIT: Sure, I go check eBay now and there is one just listed at $9.50 ending in 6 days. Gonna watch that one!!

Last edited by vinnimac; 02-21-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:56 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
can someone give us the measurements of this home-link/map light
set up.
need width and length
and if you can inside and outside dimensions

just trying to see if this will work for the GE's

Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
I bought one already, and am 1/2 way thru getting it in, and found another one on eBay for $9.50 and $5.50 shipping! with a harness (I'm thinking they mean the plug and a pigtail on it) It's item number 160317255562, and ends in about 4 days. Somebody bid on it already so I don't end up buying another one I don't need!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
can someone give us the measurements of this home-link/map light
set up.
need width and length
and if you can inside and outside dimensions

just trying to see if this will work for the GE's
did you read thru the thread? I thought someone did just that already. might be wrong

Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinnimac
did you read thru the thread? I thought someone did just that already. might be wrong

someone gave measurements to a block whatever that is.

so can someone post measurements to this device.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Alright, I took some measurements before I stuffed it into the headliner. The piece itslfe is approx. 7 1/2 inches wide 3 inches from frt to bk and 1 1/4 deep (past the headliner). If you use the bracket they were originally mounted in you need 1 3/4 inches past the headliner and about 8 1/4 inches side to side room inside the headliner. Just put mine in during lunch at work out in the parking lot. Cut the hole a little snug, on purpose, which made getting the bracket up there a little tricky. It's a squeak thru the hole and around the moulded portions of the headliner. I don't think you need to worry about the 3M tape to secure it, though. I put the piece I cut out behind the bracket to take up the bit of room that was there, and it's a real nice fit. Once the light gets screwed onto it, squeezing the headliner between the two, it's solid the way I have it. My map lights didn't come on when I opened the door, with a ground wire in place on the mirror screw, but everything else works, and i think I am okay with that. It's plenty light in the car with the dome light alone, and as long as the maps come on when I hit the switch, it's all good!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinnimac
Alright, I took some measurements before I stuffed it into the headliner. The piece itslfe is approx. 7 1/2 inches wide 3 inches from frt to bk and 1 1/4 deep (past the headliner). If you use the bracket they were originally mounted in you need 1 3/4 inches past the headliner and about 8 1/4 inches side to side room inside the headliner. Just put mine in during lunch at work out in the parking lot. Cut the hole a little snug, on purpose, which made getting the bracket up there a little tricky. It's a squeak thru the hole and around the moulded portions of the headliner. I don't think you need to worry about the 3M tape to secure it, though. I put the piece I cut out behind the bracket to take up the bit of room that was there, and it's a real nice fit. Once the light gets screwed onto it, squeezing the headliner between the two, it's solid the way I have it. My map lights didn't come on when I opened the door, with a ground wire in place on the mirror screw, but everything else works, and i think I am okay with that. It's plenty light in the car with the dome light alone, and as long as the maps come on when I hit the switch, it's all good!

hey that sounds great. you put it in fast. sounds really easy.
now i have to measure my map lights and see if this is doable.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
I couldn't get one without the sunglasses compartment here in Canada, so I thought I'll give this bulky one a try... and it worked! Hope this helps for whoever is interested

Bought this one off ebay, it's taken from a Honda Pilot. I soldered a connector.
ps. it's a b!tch to solder wires in that tiny space, get a connector if you can.

Got it cut like this. Mine didn't come with a bracket, so I use wood

So here's the trick to make it fit: I use two foam blocks to push the headliner out a bit, on mine it's pushed out by roughly 5mm. Just enough so that there's no gap between the unit and the headliner.

I didn't want to mess with the dome light wires, so I made myself some wire connectors, these are very common molex 4pin connectors found in computers.

I hooked the wires up like this, wire is clipped with the light bulb. If you do it this way, by switching the dome light to ON it will also turn on your map light! If you don't like that behaviour then just tap into the dome light wires.
Red - 12V
Black - Gnd
Yellow - Door switched Gnd
the black plastic behind is the molex connector

Now put everything back together... Done!

Last edited by charlie_su1986; 03-20-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Acura CL Maplights w/Homelink install