Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Headlight Lens Damage Due To HIDS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 AM
msg
Headlight Lens Damage Due To HIDS

hi msg here. just a newbie and starting to modify my fit. im in the philippines and HIDS here are popular and very affordable.

i wanted to buy one but i read on our local fit club forum that those people who used hids had micro cracks on their headlight lenses. i thought that hids are cooler than halogens.

did anyone here experience this kind of trouble with hids? i hope this is the correct thread. thanks!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
i have my hid in my fit and dont have problems

Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
those tiny cracks are probably a combination of small rocks hitting the lense and UV rays and not having wax or some sort of coating on the lenses

Old 07-31-2006, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
this is also the reason i'm thinking twice on installing HID on my Jazz...so is this true?

Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 PM
msg
not sure bout rocks but the cracks are tiny they look like fiber or something. if you know what a plastic glass looks like when it cracks but not break, thats how it looks like.

it pretty weird though because halogens have higher temp than hid bulbs. we just cant figure it out why it happened to several fit owners and the fact that they used different brands of hids.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
msg..u have sample pic of the damage?......i think this should be addressed...

Old 08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
i've had my HID's in since i bought the car on 4/20 of this year, adn i have not yet seen or notice any cracks.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:53 AM
msg
Originally Posted by jazz_honda
msg..u have sample pic of the damage?......i think this should be addressed...

ill try to get some pics. ive seen them personaly and they look like little micro roots hehehe. a friend of mine bought a new set of headlights and until now no visible damage yet.

we are still trying to figure out what causes this damage to the headlights. thats why i need to wait for the results before i can buy a set of hids.

btw the hids they installed were taiwan made or korean made hids. is there a difference between u.s. or german made hids?

Old 08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
msg or Ajinomoto? J/K...

From what you mentioned sounds like the microcracks may be heat related. Reason being is that the condition you describe is exactly what happens when acrylic is heated up in a microwave.

Are all the guys that have HID in the PI having the same problem. Are they all the same brand of HID's?

Old 08-03-2006, 10:16 AM
msg
Originally Posted by ViViDbLeU
msg or Ajinomoto? J/K...

From what you mentioned sounds like the microcracks may be heat related. Reason being is that the condition you describe is exactly what happens when acrylic is heated up in a microwave.

Are all the guys that have HID in the PI having the same problem. Are they all the same brand of HID's?
hahaha you knw ajinamoto? i like that stuff its crazy hahaha

well these people who experienced this have different kinds of brands. thats why we are eliminating the theory that a certain brand is causing this.

another reason we cant understand is that hids should be cooler than halogen bulbs. this doesnt make sense heheh. but with the evident damage shows its due to heat hehehe.

i think we need discovery channel people to resolve this problem. thats why i cannot install hids on my fit becoz i am afraid that they would do the same to my Hedlyts. hedlyts here are expensive and there are very few hedlyts available as aftermarket parts.

i hope some scientist could help us here in the P.i. hahaha

Old 08-03-2006, 01:51 PM
HIDs on startup put a lot of current through, but the high voltage and temp shouldnt last too long. What could happen though is with continued use, when they heat up at start, they may be softening the surrounding plastic and causing it to sag. This is more common with crappy eBay brand headlights though, that use inferior products. I don't think that HID is responsible for the damage. Pics would be interesting though.

Retrofit>*

if you want to have a great setup, check hidplanet.com's forums and see what can be done :-)

When I get the fit the first thing i'm doing is retroing in some Porsche or TL bixenons...

Old 08-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by Tomh
i've had my HID's in since i bought the car on 4/20 of this year, adn i have not yet seen or notice any cracks.
Does the lens is still clear? or maybe it isn't clear like a new car?

Old 08-19-2006, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
HID will not damage your headlight lens.

It is most likely a result of rocks.