Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

anyone else's fog lamps useless

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
anyone else's fog lamps useless

because you cant even tell the difference between fog lamps on or off, just the 08 factory sport ones. The beam is aimed so close to the front of the car, doesn't need pointing up, just seems like a bad reflector design

Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
because you cant even tell the difference between fog lamps on or off, just the 08 factory sport ones. The beam is aimed so close to the front of the car, doesn't need pointing up, just seems like a bad reflector design
ya those damn metal reflectors/shields inside the lense need to go bye bye!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have a feeling Honda didn't just put them on there for looks. I don't think they'd put stuff that doesn't work on their cars.....

Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
i don't even think ditching the restrictors will help, although I have done a few that were stupid bright. The whole housing is just a bad design.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
true i mean mine help a lot but i still think that little shield needs to go, i want hid fogs anyway

Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Uhh that's what fog lights are for! They illuminate the lines and road immediately in front of you.

If they were aimed like lowbeams for distance they'd be useless when you need them because they'd be causing all sorts of reflection. Lowbeams are sometimes inadequate when the fog blocks the light before the beam reaches the ground and that's why the foglights seem to be pointed straight down.

Mine are so bright I can't see the most of my lowbeams when they're on. It's as if the highbeams were pointed straight at the ground. You sure they're working?

yes it's an 08 sport btw

Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Retired Moderator
I have a foglight out, so i have just been turning them off untill i have the chance to fix them.
I actualy do notice the diffrence, they add width.
Also im lowered so i like to almost stop before going over speed bumps, i always peak at the bump to see how close i am before going over, and with out the fogs the bump isnt lighted so its just darkness out the window. I miss my fogs!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah I notice my vision is a little more wider with my fogs on

Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 AM
I just put a set of Xenith Xenon's in my foglights and MAN what a difference! It is like having sharks with frickin lazer beams!!!

Pulling out the shrouds is an idiotic idea, sort of defeats the purpose of fog lights! Fog lights are good for cutting under the fog, not highlighting the fog so you could project movies onto it! The fogs also increase the side lighting tremendously, and that helps up here in deer country! They have save me more than once from the deer that wants to play chicken!

Go with a set of HID's for both headlamps and fogs and you will never say you do not have enough light!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I live 30 miles from the coast and have fog every day. They really don't do anything in fog either. The output just sucks. All my other vehicles have 6000K HIDs, but even stock lighting on vehicles have always had better fogs. They barely light up anything. When I get more mod money its gonna be HIDs all around, but that won't be for a while. I actually intend to do fogs before headlamps on the fit, the stock headlights produce good output.

And you say Honda only puts good parts on their cars, not everything is perfect. The fog lights are like the carpet in the 08 fit, they leave a LOT to be desired. I have never seen a whole car carpeted in trunk carpet material. Or in 98-99 accord 4 cyls, they used plastic proportioning valves for the clutch that crack and lose hydraulic pressure and your pedal drops to the floor, but in my 2000 they use cast iron because they know the plastic ones break and suck? There's always something to be improved in vehicles, and the fog lights are just one of those things.

Obviously you guys have never driven vehicles with good fog lamps to compare it to if you think they work well. I'm not sayin they dont turn on, just that they don't ILLUMINATE much or even help in fog. Its hella foggy out right now and I can honestly see better with just the low beams. I am an all honda guy, but seriously, these are some weak ass foglights. And I have been in the auto biz my whole life, driven more cars than you can imagine. If you wanna get offended because you think the fit was 100% perfect stock, then go cry about it. But chances are you are on the site to find the shorcommings of the car and modify them to be better, and take the good parts of the car and accentuate them. The fog lamps suck, period, and are something that will definitely need to get modded.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:44 AM
HID Addict
i don't even think ditching the restrictors will help, although I have done a few that were stupid bright. The whole housing is just a bad design.
is that the little plastic thing inside the housing? any benifits if i take it off? consequences? i really want it out

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
That is effectively the cutoff for the light output. That means light patterns can travel any direction and it is unrestricted. On some vehicles you can sand them down and it helps, on others it makes so much glare you are gonna get all bad attention and it makes hot spots and they are stupid bright blinding. I have modified a few projectors and it worked really well, but in reflector housings the light is less intensely focused.

Chances are on the fit they just will put out a lil more light but be highly annoying to oncoming drivers. Its just the nature of the style of reflector they put in there. Another member on the board used hella 550's and they look the same as OEM housings, but put out substantially better light.

I will most likely leave the limiter in mine and get HIDs, or replace them altogether. They are not solid in the vehicle, theres only one screw holding the whole housing to the car.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
HID Addict
That is effectively the cutoff for the light output. That means light patterns can travel any direction and it is unrestricted. On some vehicles you can sand them down and it helps, on others it makes so much glare you are gonna get all bad attention and it makes hot spots and they are stupid bright blinding. I have modified a few projectors and it worked really well, but in reflector housings the light is less intensely focused.

Chances are on the fit they just will put out a lil more light but be highly annoying to oncoming drivers. Its just the nature of the style of reflector they put in there. Another member on the board used hella 550's and they look the same as OEM housings, but put out substantially better light.

I will most likely leave the limiter in mine and get HIDs, or replace them altogether. They are not solid in the vehicle, theres only one screw holding the whole housing to the car.
can it be put back in if wanted? i think i want to try sanding it first and compare the directional lighting on the wall. then without the plastic. any other comments?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
I live 30 miles from the coast and have fog every day. They really don't do anything in fog either. The output just sucks. All my other vehicles have 6000K HIDs, but even stock lighting on vehicles have always had better fogs. They barely light up anything. When I get more mod money its gonna be HIDs all around, but that won't be for a while. I actually intend to do fogs before headlamps on the fit, the stock headlights produce good output.

And you say Honda only puts good parts on their cars, not everything is perfect. The fog lights are like the carpet in the 08 fit, they leave a LOT to be desired. I have never seen a whole car carpeted in trunk carpet material. Or in 98-99 accord 4 cyls, they used plastic proportioning valves for the clutch that crack and lose hydraulic pressure and your pedal drops to the floor, but in my 2000 they use cast iron because they know the plastic ones break and suck? There's always something to be improved in vehicles, and the fog lights are just one of those things.

Obviously you guys have never driven vehicles with good fog lamps to compare it to if you think they work well. I'm not sayin they dont turn on, just that they don't ILLUMINATE much or even help in fog. Its hella foggy out right now and I can honestly see better with just the low beams. I am an all honda guy, but seriously, these are some weak ass foglights. And I have been in the auto biz my whole life, driven more cars than you can imagine. If you wanna get offended because you think the fit was 100% perfect stock, then go cry about it. But chances are you are on the site to find the shorcommings of the car and modify them to be better, and take the good parts of the car and accentuate them. The fog lamps suck, period, and are something that will definitely need to get modded.

Why ask for opinions when nobody but you is going to be right? Never used good fog lights? LMAO!

The fog lights DO work well, WITHOUT REMOVING THE SHIELD AND BLINDING THE SHIT OUT OF PEOPLE! They have a good cut off so you don't get the glare in fog and they also help light up the side of the road for deer and other obstacles they may come up.

Want driving lights instead of fog lights? Install a set of pencil beam driving lights in your car. Don't ask fog lights to do what they were not designed to do.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Don't ask fog lights to work in fog? That IS what they were designed to do. I'm guessing you don't get fog every day. NorCal coastal fog in the SF bay area is a daily thing, and its thick pea soup fog. Even ford focus fogs have better output that helps, or the EG or Ek fogs. And you didn't read that I wasn't going to modify the light restrictor.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
its a glare guard.

i angled mine up more since i have HID's and they reflect off everything anyways.

i had the lamix but it burned up and to me kinda reduced light output so i took it off and got HID's for my fogs and it made a huge difference over the lamin x and with it being angled up and reflects off the higher street signs making it easier to see

Old 11-20-2008, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
The fog lights seem to work for me. Especially during rainy/foggy conditions.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
yep if you want better fog than just get hid fogs, way more light and looks cool too, right now i could turn my headlights off and just use my foglights to drive, i only have nokya hyper yellows tho, im thinking about getting some hids for the fogs but i really dont want to lose the yellow, i want more out put but even with lamin-x it doesnt look no where as near yellow as the nokyas

Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the nokya bulbs are actually pretty good units, and almost all HID kits offer the 3000k yellow bulbs, seems like the best way to go

Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xonexlifex
yep if you want better fog than just get hid fogs, way more light and looks cool too, right now i could turn my headlights off and just use my foglights to drive, i only have nokya hyper yellows tho, im thinking about getting some hids for the fogs but i really dont want to lose the yellow, i want more out put but even with lamin-x it doesnt look no where as near yellow as the nokyas
3k hid fogs are yellow

Quick Reply: anyone else's fog lamps useless