Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Dash Light Dimmer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Dash Light Dimmer?

Hi there, new member today.

Is there any model of Jazz or Fit which has some kind of dimmer on the dash lights? They seem to be distractingly bright for night driving.

Thanks.

Stan

Old 03-29-2007, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
your NA fit's have a dash dimmer. with the headlights turned on, you got to turn the trip odometer button (that button by the gauges) and it shows a buncha squares that dims it almost off.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
yeah it's the reset button

Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone that have tried to build a automatic adjustment of the dash light dimmer? I have had many cars that had that function: when in bright light outside the dash light dimmed up and become brighter. In the evening or when it was dark the dash light dimmed down.

I have not opened the dash (yet) so I don't know how that dash dimmer works today in the Jazz/Fit. But I presume its only a potensiometer that you turn on. In that case I think we only need to put in a resistor that could change depending on the light (LDR or what its called?) in series with the excisting potensiometer.Or maybe change the excisting potensiometer to a lower value also....

Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks KoolKev,
You have led me to discover the trip meter & fuel economy thingy, but nothing happens to dash light when I spin the knob. Probably not fitted to this 2003 Fit imported to NZ from Japan.

Stan

Old 03-29-2007, 09:28 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by F0NIX
I have not opened the dash (yet) so I don't know how that dash dimmer works today in the Jazz/Fit. But I presume its only a potensiometer that you turn on.
It isn't; you'll notice you can turn it 'forever', and anything you do to it while the lights are off has no effect. It's a pair of switches connected to the dash controller. The dimmer output from the controller is PWM to ground, I believe (haven't bothered to drag a 'scope out).

Originally Posted by stanjnz
You have led me to discover the trip meter & fuel economy thingy, but nothing happens to dash light when I spin the knob.
In case you tried it during the day, on American Fits the dimmer only operates when the lights are on.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
That's one nagging little annoyance about that car, the location of the dimmer control. It's inconvenient to have to reach through or around the steering wheel to get to something that you have to adjust often. If you turn on the lights during the day, you have to turn it up, but when it gets dark, it's too bright, so you have to turn it down...

I also find that it's easy to forget to turn the headlights on sometimes, since the guages are always lit.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Dimmer

Hi All,

I noticed the other night when I wanted to keep the car running for heat, that the dash lights were incredibly bright.

Is there anyway of dimming the interior dash lights when the headlights are off?

There are times when dark is good.

covrc

Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
no there is no way of dimming the lights when the headlights are one b/c they are lit up very bright to be visible during the day.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi and Thanks for the reply.

But did you mean that there is no way to dim the interior lights with the headlights off?

Thanks.

covrc