Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

FIT IPOD questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Ipod Options

Spider2K

The pioneer unit you suggested seems like a great (but pricey) head unit. If it works like the demo video, it would seem to have one of the best Ipod interfaces. Besides the price, I noticed 2 things that were slight negatives.
1) You have to load the data DVD every time you want to initialize the nav system to a new destination. Since I drive locally most of the time and don't plan on watching movies while parked, it's not a major impact - just a poor design in my opinion. You'd think they could put enough flash memory in there to hold a DVD's worth of data.
2) Apparently there' no HD radio addon accessory. Not a big deal either, but if HD radio catches on, I might want it in the future. I tend to keep a car for 12 years or so. It would be nice to futureproof it a little bit. Although in 12 years, we may all have chip implants in the brain. Who knows.

Of course without the long awaited dash kit, I don't have any real option other than the stock unit right now.

For those interested in the minimalist approach, the monster charger cable that I use right now connects to the dock interface on the ipod and includes a line level audio out, so the connection to the aux input on the Honda unit sounds much better and you don't have to turn the Ipod vlume up real high to get a decent volume level in the car.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Mounting ipod solutions

Has anyone tried the proclip approach to mounting their ipod in their FIT?
Is there a less expensive way that is as good? Proclip mounts on the left side which means you have to run the cord across to the other side of the steering wheel. Any suggestions?

Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
The proclip is great.

Picasa Web Albums - Benjamin - iPod Fit

I have the DICE Link and I ran the cable under trim panel behind the stearing wheel and to the back of the stereo. The cable tucks nicely into the door gasket and then behind the dash. Although not listed specifically for the Fit, the The DICE i-Honda-R4 works fine with the Fit Sport radio. Although there is no text display on the screen. With this you can use the radio controls to switch the track, FF, etc and the controls on the iPod still function as well. It really is the most ideal solution. If you have the video iPod there is also a video out to a screen if you would like.

DICE ELECTRONICS- Digital in Car Entertainment

->Ben

Last edited by bschurma; 02-26-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 AM
I had a Dension Icelink in my 2005 Accord - and it fits and works perfectly in my 07 USDM Fit base model. 14pin plug goes into the cd changer port on back of the radio.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
i have it and it works great!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 PM
iPod and Sport -again (?) (!)

So, my white 5spd sport, ordered in December to PA-USA, promised by the end of Feb07, comes in next week, -March 23. At least I got the VIN... So, has anyone had a good experience with Honda Music Link. I have only read bad-bad. No one has said anything good. I don't want any rants. Did they pull it from the market? Is there a better solution? I have heard lots of these, but... Thanks

Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
the 1st gen were extremely bad. Honda since re-did them however i have not had experience nor have I recommended it to customers based off the 1st one. You can look into the Dension Ice>Link which I have had good experience with in the past.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Banned
I have one and it's decent. I got it because it was really plug and play and only took a few minutes to put in. But it isn't as cool as my old Pioneer setup. I can't shuffle individual folders. If I can, then I don't know how.

Other than that, at least I get to hear my ipod.

Good luck.

Kris

Old 03-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Unless you can get it free, I wouldn't recommend it.

The Aux jack and a $5 cable will get you the same sound and an extension controller for about $20 will get you about the same controll.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:15 AM
thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
the 1st gen were extremely bad. Honda since re-did them however i have not had experience nor have I recommended it to customers based off the 1st one. You can look into the Dension Ice>Link which I have had good experience with in the past.
thanks, I appreciate reading your opinions in any forums. Could you please briefly comment on the pros and cons of each? Text display on either? Dension does not list the 'Fit' as a compatible model. Which one to order? thanks again.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by WhatFreshHell

The Aux jack and a $5 cable will get you the same sound and an extension controller for about $20 will get you about the same controll.
Unless you have a base Fit and no AUX

Old 03-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl
you can add the aux for cheaper than the music link

Old 03-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl

Right, but we are talking about sport in this thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Question Please direct me!

Originally Posted by WhatFreshHell

WhatFreshHell,
could you please direct me to where I can get the $5 cable for my sport, so that I may plug my shuffle in to aux jack...or did I misunderstand you? If there is such a thing...what's it look like and where in gods name would I find it???

Old 03-18-2007, 07:23 PM
What you are going to be looking for is 1/8" to 1/8" Male to male Audio cable such as this:
RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: A/V cables: Insert cables: 6-Ft. Shielded Cable, 1/8" Plug to 1/8" Plug

It plugs into your headphone jack on your Ipod and straight into the Aux jack on your fit.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Thanks, I'll be off looking for one of these today

Old 03-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Ipod Cable

If you are willing to spend a few more dollars, Monster cable makes a harness that plugs into the bottom port of the Ipod and allows "smart" charging from the 12v accessory outlet. More importantly, it has an 1/8" audio out jack with line level output from the Ipod. This will give you better sound than plugging in to the top earphone jack and you won't have to crank the volume of the Ipod real high to hear it through the Fit stereo. You'll still need the $5 cable with a 1/8" stereo mini plug at each end.

I got mine at CompUSA, but they are now closed in the Houston area.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Review of the Pro-clip ipod mount

Let's start with the good.
Proclip has a very easy to use web site that allows you to find the exact match for what you want to mount and the vehicle it will go in.
Once ordered communication was very good and delivery quick.
All of the rave review for this mounting system are well deserved. Installation instructions are very clear and mounting is very easy. (I ordered the tiltable ipod mount with the adjustment for different thickness of ipod cases etc).
I had it installed in about 5 minutes.

Initial impression was VERY good and I was very happy.

Now the not so good:

It is very expensive in it's two part form.

The only mount this company has come up with for the Fit is to mount it on the left side just above the air vent on the dash by the window. Don't get me wrong it looks great, I just didn't realize how much more difficult it is to use the iPod controls with my left hand. (I am severely right handed).

You have to run power and sound across the steering wheel or under the steering wheel - you will have to deal with how to route those things.

The only other negative happened when it was raining one day and I had to roll down the window for a moment at a drive-up window. Water proceeded to splash along the edge of the door/window and up onto the top of my iPod. This also happened with snow on another day. I AM a little concerned about the weather effects so I am now in the habit of removing my ipod from the mount before I roll down the window in inclement weather. This is a real PITA.

Although I am seriously considering purchasing a proclip mount for my Honda element (center dash placement) I would NOT recommend this mount unless you are left handed and willing to deal with the other listed problems. Great product - just not such a good design for the Honda Fit.

I hope the company comes to their senses and comes up with another solution.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Ipod mounting in glovebox

In anticipation of the Scosche dashkit release and my planned purchase of the Pioneer AVIC-D3 headunit, I'm researching a mounting kit for my Ipod so that I can keep it out of sight in the glovebox.

There are a variety of holders available, but I wondered if anyone had found one that accomodated the full size (hard drive based) Ipod in the glovebox with the interface cable attached to the base.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
For my 4Runner, i made a custom one out of foam and CF. Unfortunately, i don't have any pics. I got rid of the car jsut after i finished it so that i couuld by teh Fit

Quick Reply: FIT IPOD questions