Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

1 post! New owner, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:39 PM
1 post! New owner, have some questions

Hi, i just recently purchased a sport blue Fit, i still have to wait till next week to get it from the dealership. My sister wanting to get one as well but she is affraid of the snow weather. Is the Fit good enough to drive in snow condition? My sister always depend on her SUV so is it gonna be quite dangerous? We lives in Michigan
Anyway, thanks ahead for y'all input. I'm a modder myself too, i've mod numerous car in the past, i am very excite about next week when i get my Fit

Old 08-23-2006, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
You should just go through this winter with your Fit, and let her try it out. Everybody has a different level of comfort. Use winter tires for extra safety. Canadians have been using cars and not SUVs in the winter for like, forever.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Front-wheel drive cars are fairly decent in snow, so with some good tires you should be great

Old 08-23-2006, 03:58 PM
...so the stock tires will not suitable for the snow condition? ...i'm scared now lol

Old 08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
iwu
I thought people who lived with snow understood that winter required a different set of tires.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:04 PM
as long as you have snow tires you should be plenty fine.... just be careful in high wind driving.... like with any light weight car...

I used to have a VW GTI 1.8T and that was fine in the snow despite its abundance in torque and what not.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by iwu
I thought people who lived with snow understood that winter required a different set of tires.
well yeah i understand that, but i thought the stock tires that come with the car can handle the snow fine. I meant, i used to tires that handle in all weather i didn't realize that i would need to buy 4 tires to replace the one that come with my Fit

Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 PM
all season tires are fine, BUT Snow tires are the opposite of summer tires... they are like the performance tire of winter...

Old 08-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Snow? What is 'snow'?

Having to change tires/wheels for the 'winter' is a completely foreign concept to me down here. I drive the same car on the same tires all year. I love Texas!

Old 08-23-2006, 05:42 PM
there is a night and day difference with snow tires over the factory/all season tires.

you get better braking ability when coming to a stop sign for example. and better grip when your tires start to spin away over the ice.

I've been through 2 different snow tires, Blizzaks and the x-ice.

the previous generation blizzaks are noisy on the hiway but did they sure bite into snow/ice in the city. The new version of the blizzak is supposed to have reduced the road noise noticed from drivers.

the X-ice are great on the ice and are less noisy on the hiway then the blizzaks. overall a great tire and what is going on the fit when winter hits.

hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to wait and try out the stock Dunlop's b4 I opt for winter tires.
I drove my 82 Celebrity on all-season tires, but it was heavier.

Actually when it comes down to it our highways are dry in winter for 65%
of the time. It's those other times that you have to be careful. Driving on
snow is a hoot after awhile. Every car and driver are diff.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:48 PM
iwu
Originally Posted by yellowblanket
well yeah i understand that, but i thought the stock tires that come with the car can handle the snow fine. I meant, i used to tires that handle in all weather i didn't realize that i would need to buy 4 tires to replace the one that come with my Fit
You're the one that lives in the snow... so the question you have to ask is whether all-season tires are good enough or not... and since the Fit comes with all-season tires... well there's your answer.

But some people live in snow where all-season tires just don't cut it... you have to ask yourself... 'do i live there'

Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Hand break turns ftw! Only when it was -28C and we had black ice did i notice it was horrid driving..or maybe its because my civic's tires were old..anyways, im going to try these turanza's before i bought some winters from CTire.