Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Newbie question - Why lower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by macbuddy
I told her it was kinda like her wearing heels. It looks nice, the front is lower than the back, it is less comfortable, and more difficult to get around in.
will use this.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think you have much rougher railroad crossings then.
Still won't stop me from lowering her once I actually have the money to do so.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
huh, that's odd. the swifts on my '12 is so smooth... even over railroad crossings i dont even slow down. it's borderline too soft for me. but as my dd, it's fine.
Right. You better check. I suspect you still have the stock springs in.

Originally Posted by GinoLicious
Still won't stop me from lowering her once I actually have the money to do so.
I agree while the ride suffers it looks good. I was parked behind a stock one last night and could not believe how much lower we are. And they add another 6-7 HP

Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Right. You better check. I suspect you still have the stock springs in.
hahaha.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
I've had my GD3 lowered for about 6 years now, and still can't give Mrs. Mac a "practical" reason why I did it I couldn't tell her I spent all that money to make it go "faster," because I inevitably have to drive "slower" to negotiate the unforgiving bumps, tracks, and steep driveways of daily driving.
So, I confessed that I basically did it to make the front end lower than the rear end, and that I did so because I couldn't stand the front gap being larger than the rear. She didn't get it. Believe me, it was impossible to justify spending $2,000+ just to make the front 2" lower, make the ride less comfortable, and make the car less friendly to drive.
I told her it was kinda like her wearing heels. It looks nice, the front is lower than the back, it is less comfortable, and more difficult to get around in.
This is exactly my predicament with the Mrs. I can't really come up with a good explanation to her that the car would perform better as I can't really speed down the road with her in it. I love the look but also can't justify the cost. Maybe another solution is to get bigger tires (bigger sidewall tires) so that the wheel well is filled more and it will looked lowered but not really be lowered. Just a thought. Though I have to say the analogy of wearing heels etc is a fantastic argument

Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
you guys are modding the car wrong for street if you have to slow down.

they do sell those JDM decals 'not drunk, avoiding pot holes' for guys just like you. hahaha.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM
For a relatively tall car like the Fit, lowering the center of gravity helps more than most people think. Depending on the brand, some springs that lowers a car more than recommended can have negative effects, as they might be too short to compliment the dampening force of the shocks. (Shocks are also an integral component for performance, of course)

Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my GD3 lowered for about 6 years now, and still can't give Mrs. Mac a "practical" reason why I did it I couldn't tell her I spent all that money to make it go "faster," because I inevitably have to drive "slower" to negotiate the unforgiving bumps, tracks, and steep driveways of daily driving.
So, I confessed that I basically did it to make the front end lower than the rear end, and that I did so because I couldn't stand the front gap being larger than the rear. She didn't get it. Believe me, it was impossible to justify spending $2,000+ just to make the front 2" lower, make the ride less comfortable, and make the car less friendly to drive.
You nailed it! Unless you track or have a "show" car, the "practical" sense of doing this is out the window. Just my take. I admire lowered cars when they're static and they're not mine... They're definitely cool to look at... when standing still.

you guys are modding the car wrong for street if you have to slow down.

they do sell those JDM decals 'not drunk, avoiding pot holes' for guys just like you. hahaha.
That's what the Brembo and rear disc upgrades are for...

Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie

That's what the Brembo and rear disc upgrades are for...
i see!