Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Considering a New Fit (Miata Owner Help Encouraged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Considering a New Fit (Miata Owner Help Encouraged)

This seemed like the best place to ask some newbie Fit questions, so here I go. I currently own an 03 Mazda Miata. It's pretty awesome, I love driving it, but it's my DD and I'm about to be driving a bit further and encountering more traffic at a new job, so I'm looking to trade it for a slightly more fuel efficient hatch back. Original choice was a Yaris, but The Fit comes with more goodies and costs close to the same price. I've also owned Hondas before, so I'm well aware of their reliability and general ease to work on (unless you change a waterpump -_-).

Keep in mind I plan on getting a 5 speed. Not a big fan of going back to an automatic ever/any time soon.

So, lots of questions have been answered through searching, but I need some opinionated advice before I move forward.

If anyone has owned or driven a Miata then a Fit, or owns both, what is it like comparably? I'm expecting it to be a whole different ball game, being a FWD 5 door obviously, bit I'm curious if the Fit is semi nimble; does it tend to oversteer in excess; stuff like that.

How comfortable is it? My car isn't the most comfortable. I'm 6'2", about 215 lbs, so it's a pretty tight squeeze, but it's comfortable enough to not exhaust me after driving long distances. Sitting in traffic is terrible though.

I've read the Fit does not have independent rear suspension. How does that effect it's handling and ride quality?

Should I go for the Fit Sport? From what I could tell, it comes with different aero gear alloys, and some leather wrapped stuff. I like all that, but I'm content with the stock body and plan to change the wheels either way, so it's not a biggie. I'm mostly concerned if they both have similar features and safety equipment, and if the Sport has a difference in suspension/engine/transmission, or if both models have the same equipment for the most part?

Do all US 2013 models come with the L15A7 as standard? It seemed like the engine to have.

How intrusive are the stability management and traction control systems, and can they be disabled? Can you disable the passenger airbag as well?

I've heard the A/C does not work too well on hot summer days in traffic. Is this true? (If so I'm assuming it's because of the large windows+large interior space make it hard to cool, but always good to hear opinions on this)

Any serious trouble concerns I should be aware of?

Last one that my not be easy to answer, how much should I expect to pay for a new 2013 Fit? (I live in south eastern VA if region/state makes a difference)

Sorry this is a lot of information, but getting rid of my Miata and picking up something that's almost the complete opposite is sort of a big deal for me, but in the end it's for the greater good since I could use something bigger with better mileage. I really appreciate any responses and hope to hear back from forum members soon. I'll still be snooping around and collecting info though.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 AM
I've never driven a Miata (would love to, but...), so I can't compare there. I think most any car is going to be a let down in terms of handling in comparison to a Miata, from what I've read. In everyday driving the Fit is plenty nimble enough for me, and handles the curvy roads faster than I can see around the curves.

Comfort is acceptable, though not exceptional. The headrest is rather farther forward than I would really prefer, something that seems to be common with many new vehicles. At 6'0" and rather lanky, I have adequate leg room, but there's not much excess. Headroom is no problem at all. The bottom line is that I can drive all day without being in pain afterwards. The interior generally is pretty budget-oriented and utilitarian; many other smallish cars have plusher interior appointments.

The normal Fit has a torsion beam rear end. The EV version has independent rear suspension. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in practice.

The differences between the sport and the base model are modest besides the cosmetic "aero" stuff. The wheels, fog lights, an anti-sway bar, and minor interior changes are the main functional differences. The engine and transmissions are mechanically identical. (I believe it's the L15A7 engine, but it's kind of a moot point since there's no choice in the matter.)

Traction control can be disabled, though some modest stability management is always present. It doesn't seem particularly intrusive to me, and actually does a reasonably good job of getting up slippery hills during wintertime. The passenger airbag can't be disabled easily, though it does have the usual weight sensors to automatically turn it off for children or boxes from Amazon. (Of course, young children ought to ride in the back seat where there aren't any front airbags.) I think the manual disabling of the passenger airbag for new cars is only permitted by federal regulations where there's no back seat, though I may be mistaken.

The A/C has been adequate for me, but bear in mind that Vermont summers aren't the toughest test of an A/C. The A/C certainly isn't the most powerful I've ever encountered. You might want to avoid a black colored Fit, and get the windows tinted.

Reliability should be just fine, naturally dependent on what sort of care you give the car. There have been some problems with coil packs, I think mainly on the older models, and there was a batch of bad heater blower motors (that apparently aren't a problem with the new models), and the battery is pretty small and doesn't always last all that well. I'd classify those as relatively minor problems.

I'd expect to pay approximately list price or slightly less, plus the usual fees (destination, title/tax/registration, dealer paperwork fee), at least around here. Expecting to get a couple thousand off is unrealistic for the Fit.

(Compared to a Miata, the Fit is a minivan inside.)

Old 06-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
I've never driven a Miata (would love to, but...), so I can't compare there. I think most any car is going to be a let down in terms of handling in comparison to a Miata, from what I've read. In everyday driving the Fit is plenty nimble enough for me, and handles the curvy roads faster than I can see around the curves.

Comfort is acceptable, though not exceptional. The headrest is rather farther forward than I would really prefer, something that seems to be common with many new vehicles. At 6'0" and rather lanky, I have adequate leg room, but there's not much excess. Headroom is no problem at all. The bottom line is that I can drive all day without being in pain afterwards. The interior generally is pretty budget-oriented and utilitarian; many other smallish cars have plusher interior appointments.

The normal Fit has a torsion beam rear end. The EV version has independent rear suspension. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in practice.

The differences between the sport and the base model are modest besides the cosmetic "aero" stuff. The wheels, fog lights, an anti-sway bar, and minor interior changes are the main functional differences. The engine and transmissions are mechanically identical. (I believe it's the L15A7 engine, but it's kind of a moot point since there's no choice in the matter.)

Traction control can be disabled, though some modest stability management is always present. It doesn't seem particularly intrusive to me, and actually does a reasonably good job of getting up slippery hills during wintertime. The passenger airbag can't be disabled easily, though it does have the usual weight sensors to automatically turn it off for children or boxes from Amazon. (Of course, young children ought to ride in the back seat where there aren't any front airbags.) I think the manual disabling of the passenger airbag for new cars is only permitted by federal regulations where there's no back seat, though I may be mistaken.

The A/C has been adequate for me, but bear in mind that Vermont summers aren't the toughest test of an A/C. The A/C certainly isn't the most powerful I've ever encountered. You might want to avoid a black colored Fit, and get the windows tinted.

Reliability should be just fine, naturally dependent on what sort of care you give the car. There have been some problems with coil packs, I think mainly on the older models, and there was a batch of bad heater blower motors (that apparently aren't a problem with the new models), and the battery is pretty small and doesn't always last all that well. I'd classify those as relatively minor problems.

I'd expect to pay approximately list price or slightly less, plus the usual fees (destination, title/tax/registration, dealer paperwork fee), at least around here. Expecting to get a couple thousand off is unrealistic for the Fit.

(Compared to a Miata, the Fit is a minivan inside.)
Really appreciate the input. It seems all the cars in the subcompact range have some sort of short coming, but the Fit keeps sticking out. I plan on going up for a test drive in one tomorrow afternoon, so I'm glad to get a bit of input back quickly.

As long as I can have fun in it, while driving fairly comfortable I'll be happy. I'm trying my best to pick up something cheap and nice so I can build a track car on the side. A lot of other cars that I could probably afford, like a Civic, or a BRZ (which I'd probably buy site unseen sadly), but I really want something with lots of storage and room for passengers and what not.

Quick little side question: Anyone have the optional armrest/center console? It's something I'd probably want, but not sure about the price.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Being a 2 Fit family, it's hard to look elsewhere. Very versatile, and works just fine when used as a sports car.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Ive owned a mid 90s miata before, but Im more honda, nearly owning every year between 88-00 at some point in time.

The Fit is very fun once you have a bit of aftermarket thrown at it. Springs, DIY intake for some noise, and a small stereo makes the car easy to deal with.

Not very much aftermarket at all, especially where it counts. Just some extrememly overpriced intakes and axle back mufflers that dont add any power.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
Ive owned a mid 90s miata before, but Im more honda, nearly owning every year between 88-00 at some point in time.

The Fit is very fun once you have a bit of aftermarket thrown at it. Springs, DIY intake for some noise, and a small stereo makes the car easy to deal with.

Not very much aftermarket at all, especially where it counts. Just some extrememly overpriced intakes and axle back mufflers that dont add any power.
lol I was noticing that, but I ran into the same problems with the Miata. Could throw some bolt ons on, but only way to make power was to go forced induction or build an engine. I'm more than happy with some comfortable suspension mods and low horse power. I just like being able to throw a car into a corner and come out ok at the other end, and the Fit seems to be able to accomplish that.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 PM
if you use a 1.8 in the older miatas and get some coilpacks to help the ignition, boltons and a cam can net you over 30whp quite easily.

There was a late 90s miata at the last drags I went to that claimed stock block/rotating assembly, but had cams and boltons with his tune, and he ran much faster then my buddy's 07 civic si with boltons

Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
So, went to the dealership and left the owner of a 2013 Fit base 5 speed. Waiting for it to be delivered in the next few days.

I think I paid a bit to much with the upsell on warranties and what not, but I'm still pretty excited to have a new car. Plan to try and drop some big payments on it and hopefully pay it off early.

Thanks for the help from anyone who replied

Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 PM
When you get it, be aware of the 500 mile granny driving breakin.

Once you find out for yourself how the clutch and shifting feel is, go ahead and buy a hotglue gun and a bunch of glue, and fill your rear mount and tranny mount.

If you only fill the rear dogbone, you will get more idle vibration and annoying takeoff vibration. fillling the tranny top mount removes this.

If you are like me and drive spirited quite often, this is the best DIY mod Ive done so far, next to my intake

Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
When you get it, be aware of the 500 mile granny driving breakin.

Once you find out for yourself how the clutch and shifting feel is, go ahead and buy a hotglue gun and a bunch of glue, and fill your rear mount and tranny mount.

If you only fill the rear dogbone, you will get more idle vibration and annoying takeoff vibration. fillling the tranny top mount removes this.

If you are like me and drive spirited quite often, this is the best DIY mod Ive done so far, next to my intake
Thanks for the advice. I was definitely planning on giving a goos break in pwriod before really going at it. I like corning quickly, so i'll have to take a peak at that mod. Thanks for the advice.