Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Hello, my name is Ian and I have Fit Fever

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 02:15 AM
ipc
Red face Hello, my name is Ian and I have Fit Fever

Hi All,

I'm very long-winded so here's the short version:
Boy sees Fit. Boy likes Fit. Boy learns of [] to make Fit go faster. Boy buys Fit. Boy does [] to make Fit go faster. Go Fit, GO!.
Please help fill in the [].

Thanks!
-Ian

--
Long version:

I came across the Fit kind of randomly and after reading the Honda site info I felt a strange feeling... I wanted to own a car. I hate driving and have only owned a car when I had to do so. I'm a city-boy and like walking, public transportation, and my motorcycle. As you might imagine though, my choices in transportation and my desire to live in my hometown of Chicago are at odds with such things as grocery shopping, winter travel, and road-trips (my bike isn't made for touring). Then this little Fit comes into my field of vision and I'm like, "I could totally use that thing!" It looks like the perfect complement to my motorcycle. Except for a couple of things...

The Fit has TONS of room, is IMHO a really good deal for the money, and everyone likes it. So what's my problem? I, well... I don't believe in 'stock' parts. I want to play with it... tweak it... make it mine, you know? I just can't help myself. I'm the same with everything, building computers, furniture, my bike, writing software... I always perceive something 'missing' and have an overwhelming desire to FIX it. From what I've read, the only thing other people really feel is missing is power. Ok, good, cause that gives me room to work. I want a Fit but it's underpowered and if I can fix that I can be happy with my purchase

Let's assume I start with a 2007 Sport 5AT. I "know" from experience that a littel 109hp 4cyl and AT are at odds with each other. However, everything I've read suggests that the Fit and the 5AT suit each other just fine. I like the idea of the paddle shifters, too: "manual when I want it." I don't want a 100% manual transmission because it's too much of a PITA and I have no desire whatsover to be 'one with my car.' I'm not a "driver", in fact, I'm the "anti-driver". All I require from a car is that it keeps me and my stuff warm, dry, and comfortable from point "a" to point "b". Well, that and it be small, because I have a really hard time judging how big I am in anything bigger than a Jetta. Oh, and it needs a sound system that rivals a dance hall and maybe some ground effects and some pretty lights and... do you see why I don't have a car? Once I start I want it juuuuust so and since it's not a necessity it's so much easier to do without.

but back to the performance thing...

It looks like the North American market is shapping up for the Fit. There are some nice intake systems becoming available and enogh Mugen and Spoon parts around that it looks like getting some more horsepower out of our friend shouldn't be too hard. What would YOU do if you wanted to get, say, 10-25 more horsepower out of the Fit? Is that even realistic?

I'm thinking along the lines of:

- improving the intake/exhaust system
- this seems to be the easiest route
- that should be like 5-7hp right there and maybe I can just stop with that.
- performance air-filters.
- swapping/modding the engine
- I'm not sure why everyone jumps straight to the K-series from the stock L15A. Wouldn't an L18 (I think that was there L-series I saw a reference to) make more sense?
- I've seen the mugen supercharger prototype and I know there are aftermarket turbo/superchargers for other vehicles but I can't tell if this is a direction enough people are going to want to go for there to get a business interested in investing the time to make such a product for the Fit.
- tweaking the on-board electronics
- I love the idea of just dropping in a new 'mod-chip' for the car and getting better performance. I'm a bit of a nut about overclocking my computers so this is territory I'm very familiar with. I understand software a lot better than I do hardware.

I guess one of the things I like about the Fit is that I can certainly -buy- it stock and then try little things along the way until I'm satisified. Of course, if I had an option of just buying a "pre-modded" Fit I would totally go for that; I don't need to do the mods myself, so long as I know they've been done to my specifications by someone who knows and loves what they're doing. Are there companies that do that for Hondas and the Fit in particular? In my preliminary searches, I found a lot of parts but not a lot of mechanics

Please be gentle, I'm not really a car person, but I play one with some of my friends who are BMW track-racing geeks. In my crowd, cars come from many countries but all automobiles come from Germany. I don't know a single person who owns a Japanese vehicle so that's why I'm here. I'm a little irrational at times but I'm a quick study... I done learned myself everything I know about Honda and Fits today