Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Starks' Dream Car Acquired

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Starks' Dream Car Acquired

Hello,
I figured I might as well make a forum newbie thread for a formal introduction into these forums.

I recently, 4/21/11, purchased a used 2010 Blackberry Pearl Sport A/T with 14,000 miles. My previous car, 2000 Civic LX, and I were ready to part ways. So many wonderful memories in the Civic, from meeting my partner, to taking me places I had never been, to just making me feel more independent and free. The car's quirks were usually just laughed off as an expression of the car's attitude but creaks became rattles became rumbles became big bills. I knew I had less than a year to find a car before maintaining the Civic would become an even greater bill. My research along with my admiration for Fits I had seen on the road and in the showroom had zeroed me in on making one my next car. The Civic's A/C was gone and the water pump/timing belt were showing signs of severe wear. The previous plan of running the Civic into the ground was replaced with trading in the Civic while it still had some value.

After six months of searching and test driving I happened upon a gem. A trade-in at a Nissan dealership where surprisingly no one felt a need to research a car they had on their used car lot. Vehicle history showed that it just arrived on the lot, nothing suspicious. I also did not feel uncomfortable with the Nissan salesman not being able to tell me much about the car when the week before I had driven four other Fits at HONDA dealerships where I was actually teaching the HONDA salesperson about the features and specifications of the car.

Well, this gem really was a gem. Blackberry Pearl, my favorite Fit color! The Nissan salesperson was convinced it was blue and argued with me about it. I test drove it once on a rainy day and another time on an overcast day. He was convinced it was blue. Come delivery day, bright and sunshiny day, there it was in its purple glory. He then proceeded to show off the paint job to his coworkers who all seemed to appreciate it. On a funny side note, the two keys they handed to me each had a dealer tag on them describing the car. One key had the car listed as blue, the other as purple.

Another thing that made this car stand out from all of the other test drives was that the previous owner had a sunroof installed. I always wanted a sunroof, awesome! Well, the salesman tried to use the sunroof as a selling point of the car when it came time for price negotiation. I had just read a book on how to beat the dealer and I certainly was not going to lose the price negotiation game, this car was going to be mine and I was going to keep my poker face on to hide my excitement. "Sunroofs come standard on all Fits of this year and trim," I said. I could see him deflate. He had no idea I was lying, this was the same guy who stood there in awe of the magic seat.

I got it! It's mine! It has been a month now and I've logged everything since. I am keeping track of fuel fill-ups (date, mileage, trip miles, trip gallons, computer mpg, calculated mpg, $/gal, $/fill, specific gas station, whether or not A/C was used, and any other notes I see relevant,) maintenance, and modification. I'm not sure why I'm being so obsessive about it but I can tell you when I last waxed the car, installed floor mats, installed interior LEDs, washed the inside of my windows, when I got my windows tinted and when I first rolled the windows down after the tint job.

I am waiting for the weather to improve here because I'm dying for a photo shoot. After posting just four times here, I have received a number of PMs asking for photos of my sunroof in particular. I will be getting those hopefully within the next week or two along with as many great shots of the car as I can get.

Looking forward to being a part of this community.

Stay tuned... features listed in sig.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome Mr. Starks (I hope your first name is Tony! haah would be closely epic Mr. Ironman)

Glad you got the car you wanted! Lot of good info here. Looking forward to some pics and you plans with it! Welcome again!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to FF.Enjoy the forum and make new friends over the world....

Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
i remember when i first brought him home and i was so infatuated with mine. then came the mods...

i love the fit so much more now since its taking on a little bit of my own personality and taste.

welcome to the forum and please post pics of your sunroof as soon as conditions allow.

on a side note, there is someone in my neighborhood that drives around a SSM GE completely stock but has a sunroof. looks nice.