Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

New Fit Sport owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:24 AM
New Fit Sport owner

Coming from a '06 Element 4WD.

The Element was a cool vehicle, and I drove it for over three years... however, I was tired of driving such bulky vehicle... I look back and kept thinking I never should've sold the 01 Civic coupe I had 8 years ago, and wanted to get back into a compact vehicle. Unfortunately, having owned a pickup and the Element in the interim, I wasn't going to easily return to a little cubby-hole notchback trunk.

So far, (had it almost two weeks), the Fit has more than met my expectations. It's more fun to drive than any budget-priced auto should be. It's got about 80% of the cargo space of the Element, is easier for my small kids to get into and out of, and has a more comfortable drivers position (except for the joke of an armrest - probably the one and only mod I'll do). And, most important, will reliably beat 20 mpg, something the Element wasn't quite doing.

The power is better than I expected - even with an automatic (something I'd always sworn I'd never buy in a compact 4-banger), it feels reasonably peppy. I'm not looking for breakneck acceleration - I could spend a LOT of money in a car and, with a sport-bike in the garage for my fast fun, it would always feel slow by comparison. Even a kinda low-end sportbike like mine is ZOMG fast compared to a car: <4 sec to 60, ~12 sec 1/4 mile...

Anyway, I looked at the Fit a few years back after a trip to England, where Honda Jazzes are EVERYWHERE. They are, of course, a geezer car over there, usually piloted by a pair of knuckles and a puff of white hair, but they looked dang near sporty compared to the typical US car. When the 07's arrived, I'd just bought the Element... I test-drove one, but the driving position wasn't comfortable for me. Fast forward a few years, and on a whim, I drove out to a dealer and took one for a test drive. At the time I didn't think I'd buy one, just wanted to get the test-drive out of my system: lo and behold, the telescopic steering wheel and footrest made it feel awesome.

I compared a Cube and an xB on two other test drives, just to see how I liked them. The Cube was a close second... if Honda didn't make the Fit, I'd have easily picked up a Cube (I had an Element... I'm a sucker for goofy little boxes). The xB was awful. It was uncomfortable, numb, sluggish, and felt like it was made out of rejected Kia parts.

Anyway, three days later, I traded in the Element and picked up my new Silver Fit Sport automatic.

That's my story. Looking forward to a cool little car that gives me a TON of flexibility and puts me in a better position to ride out the storm if (when) gas prices go haywire again.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Welcome!

Yah, 20mpg on a 4banger is just not acceptable these days.