Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Future Fit Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Future Fit Owner

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around these forums for the past week while considering my options for a new vehicle. I'm moving to Kansas City and currently drive a giant 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. I decided that I needed something more city friendly and fuel efficient. After weighing the alternatives in the price range, I've decided to go with the Fit, but I must say that these forums have been a strong influence in leaning toward the Fit.

I test drove a Fit MT today and enjoyed the hell out of it. I know that I want a MT with Sport Package. But the dealership doesn't have any MT Sports in Black or Storm Silver. The dealer said that they get new ones in quite often and they could get a model lined up for me, but it might cost a little more.

I plan on making the purchase next week. But my question(s) to you all is: Do you have AT or MT and why? Is there an advantage to MT other than gas mileage? I'm not extremely knowledgeable about cars, is there any maintenance issues I should be worried about with a MT?

Thanks for being an informative forum and I'm excited to be joining the ranks as a Fit Owner very soon.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Welcome to Fitfreak rutchpac!!!! To be honest with you it all depends on what you like when it comes to the transmission. Many on here will say that one is better then the other but it depends on you the driver. I love my MT but thats because i feel more in control then in an auto. I drove an auto sport but only for a couple of miles so i dont have any real seat time in one to say anything else truthfully. Thats my .02 cents.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks a lot for the welcome and the advice. I do like the control of the MT and think I would enjoy it a lot more than the AT.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 PM
I have an Auto.and though not as fast(or involving),day-to-day driving here in Florida traffic,I like having an auto(that's 1 reason I got rid of my 2007 Subaru STI).Also if your hurt(I myself have back problem's and ALOT old weightlifting injuries)Or during an emergency someone need's to drive your car,but can't drive stick,that could be a problem.If you do go with the stick though,you won't be sorry.Just some thing's to think about.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by rutchpac
Thanks a lot for the welcome and the advice. I do like the control of the MT and think I would enjoy it a lot more than the AT.
There are a bunch of AT guys on here as well that really enjoy theres but like i said before its all in what you feel cause your driving it and paying for it.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Ball
Or during an emergency someone need's to drive your car,but can't drive stick,that could be a problem.If you do go with the stick though,you won't be sorry.Just some thing's to think about.
That is something my girlfriend brought up. She can't drive a stick and questioned what we would do in an emergency situation. I suggested that she could learn how to drive a MT but I don't think a new car is good for her to learn on. It is a good point and something I definitely will have to consider. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
I'm having the same problem... I really want the stick, but no one else (wife, kids, etc) can drive a stick... and not sure I want them "learning" on the Fit

Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
welcome!!

i've got an AT, and i love it. i did come from a MT ('88 crx) right before i got my fit, and decided that while the mileage on an MT is substantially better, i don't always feel like driving a race car

good luck on whatever your decision ends up being!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Response in blueVVV
Originally Posted by rutchpac

... I've decided to go with the Fit, but I must say that these forums have been a strong influence in leaning toward the Fit.
Sweet! People all over the world are patting themselves on the back.
Welcome right back atcha.

I test drove a Fit MT today and enjoyed the hell out of it. I know that I want a MT with Sport Package.....
Well that sounds like a done deal...GET ONE!!! DOOOO it.. DOOOO it NOW!
if it was "heck" instead of "hell" I might question how much you liked it...but....it sounded pretty definitive to me

Do you have AT or MT and why? Is there an advantage to MT other than gas mileage? I'm not extremely knowledgeable about cars, is there any maintenance issues I should be worried about with a MT?
I have an MT, I just dont always care for when the AT's (especially lower powered hondas) decided to shift or stay in a particular gear. And throttle modulation can get old quick (atleast for me). I think the AT Fit is nice, and the sport trim gets you those fun paddles a good comprimise if a comprimise needs to be made.
why...do you have bad luck?

Thanks for being an informative forum and I'm excited to be joining the ranks as a Fit Owner very soon.
We are waiting.... haahaa
just hold out for more test drives and then get the one you want
its worth it!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM
MT all the way
They're somewhat more satisfying than an AT.
LOVE my Jazz to bits =)