Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Weirdness?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Retired Moderator
Weirdness?!?

Ok so im going to come out with a random maybe NooooB question.
So i was at my cousins house and he hasnt seen my Fit in a while so he was checking it out. I ended up revving the engine and i didnt notice i was in park but for some reason it want letting me rev past 5rpm till i put it in N(nuetral). Is this normal?? Did i hurt the car?

* I MUST ADD, IM NOT A RICER BOY WHO REV'S MY ENGINE ALL THE TIME, INFACT I VERY RARELY IF EVER REV MY CARS ENGINE!*

Tyler

Last edited by TOOL; 02-29-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
im not sure if its the same in the fit but in the S2k it wont let u rev past 6k if the motor is cold.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
im not sure if its the same in the fit but in the S2k it wont let u rev past 6k if the motor is cold.
Motor was not cold because i had just driven about ten miles.
Right when i put it into N for P it let me rev all they way..Did i hurt the car? I wasnt like leaving it at the red limiter for a long time just when it hit rev limiter at 5krpm i noticed i was in P and then went into N.

Tyler

Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
you aren't supposed to rev motorcycles. maybe it's the same for cars?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by solbrothers
you aren't supposed to rev motorcycles. maybe it's the same for cars?
What??? Yes you are supposed to rev motorcycles and yes you are supposed to rev cars..

Tyler

Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
i did the same, happened the same..i felt so ashamed

Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Automatic Gas saver mode? Maybe it knows you're not going anywhere on P and wants you to save gas. Who knows? Maybe it just becomes lazy when you set it to P and wakes up when you set it to N because you have to move through R to get to N. Maybe you should put on the E-brakes, apply the brakes and shift to N to see if it'll rev up to 6K. It might be a brake sensor. If not, maybe give it some coffee to wake up.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Is it a safety thing? Like a governor perhaps...just a thought

Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
What??? Yes you are supposed to rev motorcycles and yes you are supposed to rev cars..

Tyler
you are not supposed to sit and rev a motorcycle. especially up to redline.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Retired Moderator
you are not supposed to sit and rev a motorcycle. especially up to redline.
Are you joking???
YES you are??? You can rev motorcycles even better then cars..
Anyway we can keep this argument going via PM if you would like. We must stay on topic though.

Tyler

Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Honda-Tech.com: General Discussion and Debate: General Motorcycle Question

my final post in this thread. tyler, everyone else. don't rev your car in park. there is that "rev limiter" because your car knows it isn't supposed to REV without a load

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Retired Moderator
Honda-Tech.com: General Discussion and Debate: General Motorcycle Question

my final post in this thread. tyler, everyone else. don't rev your car in park. there is that "rev limiter" because your car knows it isn't supposed to REV without a load
Have you ever heard, "dont trust everything you read on the internet"? I rev the hell out my my motorcycle, it is a race bike but even if it wasnt i would rev it. All my friends rev theirs, and all their friends rev theirs and so on..So i guess we alre all wrong because of that HT thread?
Thanks for the Rev limiter response though, ill make sure not to do it agin.

Tyler

Old 02-29-2008, 03:31 AM
hmmm, just sounds like it was made to do that, for whatever reason Honda decided on. I highly doubt you broke anything.
I dont think there is a vehicle that I have not done that in

yeah its probably (cuz why would it be) not good and we can add it to the list of "not good" things that will probably never make a darn difference when used in either moderation or just rarely.
You can over do it, but when you have, you have surely earned it !

It has been my understanding that the limiters purpose is to keep from going far into redline and to keep your engine from being a really, really big and heavy paper weight. Cuz you can smack and slap a limiter "under load" all day long.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 AM
You should have bucked up and bought a MT in the first place Tyler. haha. Alright back to the point. That is really wierd that you cant rev all the way in P. I never was a rever in the first place so I would have never known that. I would have to go with the guess that there is a limiter as well. It makes the most sense.

On a side note. Did you ever do a new photo shoot with the new rims yet? Just curious.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Banned
I have 40+ years experience as a mechanic and Mechanical Engineer. I have to side with "solbrothers" on this (comes as a surprise to me!). Needlessly revving any engine with no load will cause you grief eventually.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by manxman
I have 40+ years experience as a mechanic and Mechanical Engineer. I have to side with "solbrothers" on this (comes as a surprise to me!). Needlessly revving any engine with no load will cause you grief eventually.
Ahhh! Its not like i rev all the time guys...Infact i dont really like doing it but he kept wanting to hear the exhaust so i gave in...
Plus im not so noob that i think i can rev my Fit all the time cause it sounds cool..My cousin wanted to hear it. Im sure everyone hear with exhaust has been in a similar sitiaution and gave in..

Tyler

Last edited by TOOL; 02-29-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned
Tyler-

If you go to ANY drag strip, race track, even motorcycle racing events-- walk around before the race. If you are lucky enough to have a pit pass at any of these events-------- LISTEN HARD. NO ONE is revving anything at or even near red line. There is absolutely no advantage to the racer to just make noise, and only excessive wear and accidental breakage will be the result. When it is YOUR signature on the car payment check out of your own checking account, that your job generates the deposits to make those payments, you will have a better appreciation of the value of proper operation of machinery. Sooner or later, acting like a "big shot" to impress your friends is going to cost you some serious money. But that's okay- it happens to everybody.

If you ever get professional training in any form of machinery repair or design, you will be horrified at your own behavior and-- guess what?-- ignorance.

At the age of 16, I owned a '55 Chevy wagon with a '64 Buick Roadmaster V-8 and 3 speed trans. A schoolmate that I didn't even like asked if I could burn rubber with it, and I said "sure- watch!". Then I watched as my drive shaft went rolling down the street when the trans. output yoke and differential U-joint sheared right off when I popped the clutch. I never showed off like that again.

Last edited by manxman; 02-29-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Retired Moderator
Tyler-

If you go to ANY drag strip, race track, even motorcycle racing events-- walk around before the race. If you are lucky enough to have a pit pass at any of these events-------- LISTEN HARD. NO ONE is revving anything at or even near red line. There is absolutely no advantage to the racer to just make noise, and only excessive wear and accidental breakage will be the result. When it is YOUR signature on the car payment check out of your own checking account, that your job generates the deposits to make those payments, you will have a better appreciation of the value of proper operation of machinery. Sooner or later, acting like a "big shot" to impress your friends is going to cost you some serious money. But that's okay- it happens to everybody.

If you ever get professional training in any form of machinery repair or design, you will be horrified at your own behavior and-- guess what?-- ignorance.

At the age of 16, I owned a '55 Chevy wagon with a '68 Buick Roadmaster V-8 and 3 speed trans. A schoolmate that I didn't even like asked if I could burn rubber with it, and I said "sure- watch!". Then I watched as my drive shaft went rolling down the street when the trans. output yoke and differential U-joint sheared right off when I popped the clutch. I never showed off like that again.
He kept telling me rev so i wanted to shut him up..
I wont do it again though...
I appreciate the info Dave.
But i highly diagree with the motorcycle no rev thing. Ive been riding for years, everytime i go out there all i hear is bikes revving..Every SINGLE person out there revs to warm their bike up. And revs just to rev. Im mean if you dont rev a 2stroke it will die so they require constent revving at idle.

Tyler

Last edited by TOOL; 02-29-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TOOL
He kept telling me rev so i wanted to shut him up..
I wont do it again though...
I appreciate the info Dave.
But i highly diagree with the motorcycle no rev thing. Ive been riding for years, everytime i go out there all i hear is bikes revving..Every SINGLE person out there revs to warm their bike up. And revs just to rev. Im mean if you dont rev a 2stroke it will die so they require constent revving at idle.

Tyler
And I disagree with your blanket statement. Get some training from a motorcycle engine mechanics class at a trade school, or, more simply, ask a motorcycle mechanic. Honest mechanics will explain how to get the best and longest performance, and dishonest ones will tell you what you want to hear so that you will spend a lot of money with them to fix your engine problems. There are limits to what is beneficial to the engine- anything more than that is harmful.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Retired Moderator
And I disagree with your blanket statement. Get some training from a motorcycle engine mechanics class at a trade school, or, more simply, ask a motorcycle mechanic. Honest mechanics will explain how to get the best and longest performance, and dishonest ones will tell you what you want to hear so that you will spend a lot of money with them to fix your engine problems. There are limits to what is beneficial to the engine- anything more than that is harmful.
We are being too general here. What kind of motorcylces do you have in mind?? Harley type bikes??? Thats not what i have in mind, i have dirt bikes in mind and sport bikes in mind. Im not sure about Harelys.
But you dont have to agree with me, and maybe your right. But if your right about a billion people are wrong every weekend at dirt bike places all over the country.

Tyler

Quick Reply: Weirdness?!?