Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Soon to be owner...got some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Soon to be owner...got some questions...

Hi everyone! I am proud to say that this week I put money down on an '07 Fit Sport in VBP for the dealership to hold it until this coming week...so I am quite thrilled to say that by this weekend I will be an official Fit owner!

We went to the dealership out of curiosity the other morning, and it turned out they had an AT Fit Sport in VBP on the lot. We test drove it, loved it, and decided to put the money down! I was considering a Yaris, but after some of the things I heard about it, I decided on the Fit. Fit also has a much cooler interior, and is a more solid car in my opinion. Plus it's a Honda, and you can't go wrong there! We got really lucky though, because the dealer said that it was the first Fit that has even been on their lot for sale...all the other Fits had sold before they were even delivered!

The only thing I'm concerned about on the Fits is the paint, because I have read about how it isn't the greatest. Is the peeling/chipping of the paint an extremely common problem? And is there anything I can do in order to prevent this from happening? I've also heard that the paint issues were just in the first batch of Fits, and that it's been resolved. Is this true?

Thanks guys!

-Katie =]

Old 05-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned
xCarmen09-

Congratulations on your soon-to-be new car. I have owned my BOM AT Sport since last September, and so far, have found absolutely no factory paint defects. I suggest that you buy a little bottle of touch-up paint from your dealer's parts department right away though. Rock chips happen to everyone,

Old 05-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I bought my Fit last month, and the paint is still very weak, so it's not just older Fits (mine rolled off the truck the morning I bought it). If you drive mainly in the city, you'll be fine. If you plan to take it on a road trip where you'll be on a highway for long stretches, prepare to have your heart sink as you're scrubbing bugs off the bumper -- which is how I found mine. I've got two chipped places now on my bumper, and a tiny dent in the paint on my passenger side mirror.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I have one of the first US fits (picked it up 4/15?/06, production number 1200), and don't have a single chip or peel.

I'm also pretty neurotic about the car, though... don't tailgate, stay away from trucks, park far in parking lots, etc... it *could* also be that the dealership applied the Simoniz System 5 teflon coat. At the time, I didn't want it but it was already on the car. In retrospect, it could be what is adding a layer of strength to the paint...

... or maybe I'm just neurotic ;p

Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by joe d
I have one of the first US fits (picked it up 4/15?/06, production number 1200), and don't have a single chip or peel.

I'm also pretty neurotic about the car, though... don't tailgate, stay away from trucks, park far in parking lots, etc... it *could* also be that the dealership applied the Simoniz System 5 teflon coat. At the time, I didn't want it but it was already on the car. In retrospect, it could be what is adding a layer of strength to the paint...

... or maybe I'm just neurotic ;p
Sorry, I forgot--
I also invested in a paint protective coating that I went back to the dealer for application. That may explain my good luck so far.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
paint protection 3m is the best

From your comments on the start of this thread I highly recomend you get 3m on your hood, lights and bumber. You can also have the mirrors done. Nothing works like the 3m cover....

Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Reg: paint 3 m protection

I am working the deal for my Milano Red Sport Fit A/T on Monday. Is this 3M protectant expensive? Should it be figured in at the time of purchase? Also best to do before you pick up the car at the dealership?

Thanks for the help.

Cat