Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Just some quick questions about paddle shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Just some quick questions about paddle shift

I hope to soon be trading in my car for a 2007 fit. I'll be trading in my 2002 wrx (looking for something more practical) hopefully by next month and ordering a new 2007 Storm metallic if I can find one. Coming from an aggressive car like the wrx I still want to have a little fun on the open road. For those who have an automatic with paddle shift, would you say it is still fun to drive like the manual. Basically I really want the comfort of an auto but still would like to have something to do with my hands other than steer while driving Any advice will help. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by omygata
I hope to soon be trading in my car for a 2007 fit. I'll be trading in my 2002 wrx (looking for something more practical) hopefully by next month and ordering a new 2007 Storm metallic if I can find one. Coming from an aggressive car like the wrx I still want to have a little fun on the open road. For those who have an automatic with paddle shift, would you say it is still fun to drive like the manual. Basically I really want the comfort of an auto but still would like to have something to do with my hands other than steer while driving Any advice will help. Thanks in advance!
This was one of the reasons why I bought mine with the paddle-shift. It is fun, and gives you much more control than just dropping it in "D" and going.

I typically use D in town, and put it in S (Sport or Sequential, depending on who you ask...) for interstate or back-road driving, when I want it in the gear that I want!!

It does take a bit to get used to it, so that you know which mode you're in, and not doing a "DUH" when you forget to shift and hit the rev limiter in 1st!! Also, you can start off in 2nd, and almost immediately shift it to 3rd gear.

You can up and down shift at a greater range than D-mode will permit.

Have fun with it!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
I've driven other cars before with the paddle shift feature, like the Mazda3 which is truely an awesome car, but the Fit seems to "fit" my needs (no pun intended!). Hopefully everything works out and I'll driving my Fit around town and California in no time!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Great Welcome to the club.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:11 AM
the paddle shift is fun, definitely one of the better ones out there. the only trouble i've had is you have to be careful dropping from 2nd -> 1st, is EXTREMELY jerky.

however, i've tried a M/T Fit and the gearchange was so smooth. if you're going to be doing heavy city traffic, try and get a M/T (slightly shorter gear ratios, more suited for urban driving,stop-and-go traffic). if you are in less congested traffic/highway driving, get the A/T (taller ratios, more suited for no-interruption motoring)

you can't lose with either one though.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Just to be on the safe side I'm going to test drive MT and AT. I've driven manuals all my life, so I'm not sure if I can break the habit now