Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

hows the handling on a fit!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:44 AM
hows the handling on a fit!?

uhm i'm very interesting in getting the fit not just cause of BOMB MPG but style as well =)
hows the handling on these fits!?
and does anyone know good offsets or rim fitment guides?
thanks!

Old 01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
IMO the word awesome just doesn't describe it enough. after i took first corner test driving friend's (before got my own) Fit i went all "WEEE!!!" there prolly better handling vehicles out there but my guess they would be nowhere near the fit pricewise. you really need to test drive one.
as far as MPG while it is still very good it is not what it says on a sticker. just so you wont be dissapointed. there is a dedicated thread about MPG.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
the handling is very good stock, but its incredible with minor suspension upgrades. i lowered my fit with eibach springs and it feels glued to the road and looks cool too!!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
wow sounds good! really the fit doesn't have the same amount of mpg as what it says on the sticker? whats the average people are getting then?

Old 01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
MT Fits seem to be getting better mpg than auto Fits. MT can range from 27-40's depending on how you drive and where you drive. Auto's are getting mid 20's to low 30's I belleive.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Don't know if your heard but Road and Track or Car and Driver (one of those mags) did a review of the FIT and said that it out handled a Z06 Corvette.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 PM
dang! lol i'm really considering on the fit! =) need a decent sized cargo space and MPG =)

Old 02-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Old 02-03-2007, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
Like a dream

Ok, so anyone thats read any of my posts knows I am not a schooled car guy. Coming from my '96 Ford Contour, this car is the best thing on wheels I have ever driven. Outside of that, this is my experience.

It may not have allot of getup'n'go off the line, but once you get going, nothing stops you! Driving down I-90 to Chicago is GREAT!!!! Taking tight corners is smoooooth. Last night I was in Chicago at a show, driving home there was a little curve, nothing to tight, and a Honda Pilot was in the other lane trying to stay in it. I was on cruse (AT), and road the turn easily at 65 mph. The Pilot had to swerve back into its own lane.

End story, the handling is great, even in snow with stock everything.

-C-

Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lanakano
Don't know if your heard but Road and Track or Car and Driver (one of those mags) did a review of the FIT and said that it out handled a Z06 Corvette.
Yea, in the "lane change test" only. Whatever that is. I highly doubt the Fit outhandled a Z06 in any other handleing category. What were the skid pad numbers and how was the slalom course in the Fit?

Not that I don't like my Fit but it should be noted that it was one test and what the hell is a "lane change test" anyway.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I understand your "big" picture argument and I (as well as the majority of people) agree with you.

Are you able to reasonably deduce my "small" picture arguement - that it IS significant when a car beats a Z06 in any category because there are not many cars, let alone a B segment car, that can do this?

Wether you do or not - the author and editor of C&D did because they left that FACT in the article.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lanakano
I understand your "big" picture argument and I (as well as the majority of people) agree with you.

Are you able to reasonably deduce my "small" picture arguement - that it IS significant when a car beats a Z06 in any category because there are not many cars, let alone a B segment car, that can do this?

Wether you do or not - the author and editor of C&D did because they left that FACT in the article.
Oh, I certainly agree that the it IS significant that the Fit did beat a Z06. My intention wasn't to disregard that so please forgive me if that was how it came across.

I just wanted to say that overall it doesn't handle better then a Z06 that's all.

->Ben

Last edited by bschurma; 02-05-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by bschurma
Yea, in the "lane change test" only. Whatever that is. I highly doubt the Fit outhandled a Z06 in any other handleing category. What were the skid pad numbers and how was the slalom course in the Fit?

Not that I don't like my Fit but it should be noted that it was one test and what the hell is a "lane change test" anyway.
Lane change is just a car running at freeway speed in a straight line, then a set of traffic lights are lined up in front of the car approaching

As soon as the car reaches a certain point, the lights turn one green one on and the other red to signify which lane the driver should turn into to represent an obstacle in the road.

The only thing im not sure of is the speed. Im not sure if it is the speed at what it can handle a change at before it loses control or the the lack of speed lost in a change when it hits the lights.

The test shows the car's ability of handling response and weight transfer characteristics against speed, which holds highly in overall handling.

Just because it beat the Z06 corvette(and from what I read in another mag-a ferrari 550? i think) in a lane change doesn't mean its king of handling but shows it has more nimble characteristics than most sports cars three + times its cost. If someone can enlighten us on the specifics of this test, it would help the validity of the test

Old 02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jits14
Lane change is just a car running at freeway speed in a straight line, then a set of traffic lights are lined up in front of the car approaching

As soon as the car reaches a certain point, the lights turn one green one on and the other red to signify which lane the driver should turn into to represent an obstacle in the road.

The only thing im not sure of is the speed. Im not sure if it is the speed at what it can handle a change at before it loses control or the the lack of speed lost in a change when it hits the lights.

The test shows the car's ability of handling response and weight transfer characteristics against speed, which holds highly in overall handling.

Just because it beat the Z06 corvette(and from what I read in another mag-a ferrari 550? i think) in a lane change doesn't mean its king of handling but shows it has more nimble characteristics than most sports cars three + times its cost. If someone can enlighten us on the specifics of this test, it would help the validity of the test
I am also very curious as to the full details on this test but if what you wrote is the test... then I tried it out myself not to long ago.

Trying to get home quick (being a slight dumbass, it happens), SUV beside me did NOT want me in its lane, used the paddles and put the car into the fast lane (in front of suv, bordering on the cutting them off edge)... Have done this in other vehicles (including a pair of 80s sports cars, read sig) and have felt alot of roll. The Fit had none. I'm guessing speed was close to 70mph, if not over (full acceleration, eyes on road) and it didnt roll or flex at all. That surprised the hell out of me and a good reaction time didn't cause me to correct the roll that i was expecting.

Ok, found this via the Google (God?) German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA)

From the Article itself (the meat and potatoes):
The width of the run-up section is calculated as a function of the vehicle width, by the following formula: 1.1 times the vehicle width plus 25 centimetres. This change considerably reduces driver influence and is therefore an essential precondition for the demanded reproducibility of the test
The width of the swerve section is also calculated as a function of the vehicle width, by the following formula: vehicle width plus 1 metre.
The distance between the last cones of the swerve section and the first cones of the exit section - the width of the exit section remains unchanged at 3 metres - has been shortened from 13.5 to 12.5 metres in order to retain the dynamics of the test.
The cone sections must be handled in overrun conditions, i.e. the accelerator pedal must be released on entering the section. The car must be in top gear at this moment (or position "D" for vehicles with automatic transmission) and must have an engine speed of at least 2000 rpm. This condition also significantly reduces the possibility of driver influence.
The entrance speed of the vehicle is measured.
The test is considered to be passed if no cones are knocked over.

I took out the non-English since it was translated.

Last edited by scorpmatt; 02-05-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Lane Change Analyzed?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
When Car & Driver tested it, it beat both the Vette' and a Ferrari(I forget which one) in the slalom test. It isn't a skidpad king, but it is very nimble, and responds well to minor mods(The Rear Progress Bar comes to mind).