Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

tiny the windows myself??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
tint the windows myself??

i've watched a couple of youtube videos and it seems not that too hard to tint myself. I'm only looking to do the rear windows (hatch included) with 35% as a simple deterrent of would be thieves. i was wondering if anyone that has done DIY tint, is it hard? what should i be looking for? tx also would the hatch window bubble b/c of the heating strips embedded in the glass?

Last edited by ghostagent; 03-20-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I just ordered a kit for the Fit from Snaptint, should be here sometime next week. It has a lifetime guarantee to not turn purple, peel, or bubble (i guess as long as you install it correctly.) If you can wait a few weeks I will put a few pictures of mine when I am done so you can see the quality of their stuff.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
they look to be a bit cheaper via ebay. please let me know how it turns out.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned
Its a lot harder than it sounds, and works best with the glass out of the car, its a lot easier to get the bubbles out and line it up with it out, but since you're not planning on doing removable glass that makes it trickier

Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
i tried to put some clear vinyl protector on my bumper(the cheap stuff), it applies in a similar fashion as window tint. it was hard, in fact i wasnt able to do it. however, with some work i was able to install a piece on a flatter surface though.

i think window tint would be easier though. especially since the windows are basically a flat surface, the curvature of the window should not be bad. dont be afraid to use plenty of your water/soap solution, keeping it nice and wet. its nice to have a spray bottle, razor, hard card, and a heat gun, but if you have been watching videos you probably already know that.

i thought about doing my own tint too, but i was worried about the back window and its defogger. there are some tricks for that but i just really didnt want to mess it up.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marekv
I just ordered a kit for the Fit from Snaptint, should be here sometime next week. It has a lifetime guarantee to not turn purple, peel, or bubble (i guess as long as you install it correctly.) If you can wait a few weeks I will put a few pictures of mine when I am done so you can see the quality of their stuff.
found some video here for you. hope it helps How to Apply Car Window Tint | ExpertVillage Videos

Old 03-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Thumbs down

Snaptint kit was horrible. everything that came was good but several of the pieces were not cut properly and when removing film from backing the adhesive seperated, I did not realize it on one part and now my window looks like shit. Hopefully I can return it for a full refund. The pieces that worked fine were a pain in the ass though and I do not recommend doing it yourself. I will be getting mine professionally done, as I should have in the first place.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:34 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
If its your first time start up front.
The hatch and small trunk windows are tricky
Start early and dont rush.
I did my own- get a good knife and soft squeegie (spelling?)