Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

DIY Front Liscence Plate Relocator

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
I stopped by the Home Depot after work and could not find the truss clip you referenced. I checked by name and model number, must not use them here on the east coast. In the end, I flipped the holder over and secured it with some deck screws.

Last edited by binaryh4x; 03-04-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
sorry man i did my best in getting all the info i got from the home depot salesman and the little sticker that came along with it.

but yours came out great.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm either gonna do it upside down from the stock area w/ own bracket or to the driverside jdm style but my question is (to all of you with jdm style side) were your foglight beams affected in anyway cause of its location???

Old 03-14-2008, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
no. if you put it in the right place....it wont even bother with the foglights.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Talking

Yeah I'm gonna try to use the stock bracket or home depot style

Old 03-15-2008, 01:29 AM
it looks good

Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by binaryh4x

See... i like the ideas u guys are doing w/ the relocators it looks good... HOWEVER everybody is moving it WAYYY too far over to the side. Look at ur foglight housings, u are going 2 see two open sections (vents) for the intake to suck up air. By placing the relocator all the way near the foglight housings, u are GREATLY reducing the air travel to the intake (or CAI if u have one) and creating turbulance. Just leave liek 2-3 inches in between the foglight housing and the license plate for the air to travel properly to the inner bumper area. If u check out the pix of my writeup, u'll understand what i'm talking about.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
See... i like the ideas u guys are doing w/ the relocators it looks good... HOWEVER everybody is moving it WAYYY too far over to the side. Look at ur foglight housings, u are going 2 see two open sections (vents) for the intake to suck up air. By placing the relocator all the way near the foglight housings, u are GREATLY reducing the air travel to the intake (or CAI if u have one) and creating turbulance. Just leave liek 2-3 inches in between the foglight housing and the license plate for the air to travel properly to the inner bumper area. If u check out the pix of my writeup, u'll understand what i'm talking about.
I have a Short Ram so it doesn't affect my setup. I just flipped the stock plate holder upside down and drilled two holes in the bumper and secured it with zip ties. Works great. I used to have it without drilled holes but when I had my bumper off I just made it simpler with the holes.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
uh it doesnt effect my cai, i just dont have the fender lining anymore haha. it fell off a couple months ago, but other then that, wouldnt it suck up air thats traveling from the bottom. since we have to cut out that rubber section ?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Just did mine today !! i think you would have to be crazy to buy the relocator kit i just flipped my stock bracket upside down trimmed it and screwed one end into the stock location far right and self tapped the other end in piece of cake, i think i got your $1.33 beat mine cost me $0.05 for the screw

Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM
i might do this one during the summer

Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
you know what you can do aswell. just go get the brackets, but instead of using self taping screws into your bumper...just use some 3m double sided tape.

i mean that shit is strong! i doubt anything will fly off.

you could be unique and have a swivel plate. use a door hinge and mount it to those, that way you can have that angled down look i suppose. just an idea i just thought about

Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
okay i know this is a really old thread, but i might bring it back to life for those that haven't done this yet.

I got you all beat. I relocated my licence plate using all the advice you guys provided but without even buying a single screw and big thanks to xonexlifex for finding this thread when i asked him what relocator he used.

I was able to use the clip and bolt on the right (driver) side and just moved the left clip over to where i needed it and made a hole for the oem bolt to go through and it worked like a charm. secured and perfect. needed to do the trimming that original poster suggested.
heres some pics
the original driver side clip and bolt
Name:  diyLP.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  8.9 KB
in the background you can see i moved the passenger clip over near the drivers side fog
Name:  DIYLP3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  2.2 KB
and the final product ( i left the plate off so i wouldn't have to hide my plate number
Name:  DIYLp2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  2.6 KB

thanks again for everyone who contributed to this and now that there is a free way to have this "JDM" look lets spread the wealth and bring this thread back to life. please let me know if you end up doing my method and i'm new on here kinda and dont know how rep power works but go ahead and gimme some if you want haha lol

Last edited by ryanroland; 07-07-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
What's the deal with putting them off-center?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Occam
What's the deal with putting them off-center?
DITTO on that.

I would just as soon rip the sucker off, looks a whole lot cleaner.
Could never understand the need for a front plate.
Should be a law against them_

Old 07-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
DITTO on that.

I would just as soon rip the sucker off, looks a whole lot cleaner.
Could never understand the need for a front plate.
Should be a law against them_
well no matter how clean it looks its illegal in CA and I would rather have a different "legal" look rather than a different "illegal" look. Plus im in the application process for CHP and can't afford to get any uneccassary tickets.

As far as the off center look it is something that is common in Japan, hence the JDM look. it also brings the attention of the car lower possibly appearing lower which is a look a lot of people want.

I need springs if anyone wants to gift them to me.....