Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Review: JDM goodies (console, badges, antenna)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned
Review: JDM goodies (console, badges, antenna)

Another one of my long boring posts about parts I get...So leave now if you don't want the straight dope and some insight!

I ordered the following parts from www.jdmland.com:

JDM front Honda emblem
JDM rear Honda emblem
JDM console with adjustable arm rest
Spoon Sports antenna

First, JDMLand was pretty good about shipping. FedEx is NOT! It says all over the box "FRAGILE" in huge letters but the box was, as always squished. I pulled everything out and saw NO ADJUSTABLE ARM REST...Guess it helps to read the invoice. They wrote on there that the item was backordered and would be about 5-7 days and would ship as soon as it comes in. Good to let me know, and I wish I would have known prior to ordering but I guess ordering online doesn't give me that chance. So we will go down the list.

JDM Honda Emblem--
This will encompass both emblems since they are the same. At first look I thought they were cool. Although I did notice they were plastic I was thinking that for the price they would be metal for a couple of reasons. 1. just the price should have made them metal. 2. Over time, plastic will fade and crack. I am not thrilled about that but Honda has good reliability so we will see what happens. The rear was first and I just lifted the hatch and popped the two posts off and the emblem fell off. Cleaned with alcohol and slapped it on. Looks good but I have a red Fit so it isn't as dramatic. The front, well, I tried to nudge a small screwdriver under the stock grille and pop it off. Easy enough but the grille slid a little bit and there is a scratch no kidding the size of a hair. Not noticable by anymeans not even squatting and looking close but I know it is there and I am anal. Cleaned the grille with alcohol and yes, this one is more dramatic. There is a raised portion there where the stock posts go into that you SHOULD trim down with a razor if you want the thing to fit well.

JDM console--
Aside from no armrest cover, which SHOULD be here soon, this is a GREAT piece. The install was easy with only 4 mounting points. 2 screws in the rear of the console and two tabs in the front. The rest snaps in. Be careful with the two front tabs they may/will break so have a couple handy just in case. I have an auto and you didn't have to take the shifter off or the selector cover. A+ for that! The Aux port and the power plug were simple enough to remove and replace. The plastic piece UNDER the e-brake, be careful. Take that off once the stock console is out. There are tabs you have to literally push in or this will break. I noticed stress before hand so I didn't pull it off then. Console is great and I like the fact you can change the cupholder configuration up front.

Spoon Sports antenna--
This is basic unscrew and screw on type of stuff. The box is tiny and didn't realize the antenna was that small. I dig it, except....Yes, there is an EXCEPT...The stock one is flared at the base. I really like that as it flows with the rest of the mounting base. The Spoon one is NOT flared so it looks a little silly. Wide base and then BOOM a short skinny stick with no flow. I haven't checked the reception as I usually listen to my i-Pod.

Overall--
I dig the parts I got for form and function. The badges set it off a little bit from the rest of the Fit's on the road. The console, come on...my afternoon commute is an hour or so long so the place to put my arm, even without padding right now is welcomed. The antenna, well, this could use some work. I like the look of it and when I get the Spoon spoiler, this is what to have I suppose, but I am just weird about the looks. I don't like it too much.

I will have pictures on my site within a couple of days. Forgive me but I have my kids going nuts right now and will have something soon. Good luck if you get these parts and I hope that the review helps out.

Kris

Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Look forward to the pics with everything installed. Arm Rest is something that will be a must have mod once I get my Fit.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit4kris
Spoon Sports antenna--
This is basic unscrew and screw on type of stuff. The box is tiny and didn't realize the antenna was that small. I dig it, except....Yes, there is an EXCEPT...The stock one is flared at the base. I really like that as it flows with the rest of the mounting base. The Spoon one is NOT flared so it looks a little silly. Wide base and then BOOM a short skinny stick with no flow. I haven't checked the reception as I usually listen to my i-Pod.
The reception is pretty awful. I would go back to the stock one, but I can't stand the way it looks compared to the Spoon antenna.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by osborne
The reception is pretty awful. I would go back to the stock one, but I can't stand the way it looks compared to the Spoon antenna.

Uh oh....Not liking that comment. I will find out tomorrow morning. I like the local morning show so that will be the test. If no go, then I will figure out something to do with the stocker in terms shortening it.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit4kris
Uh oh....Not liking that comment. I will find out tomorrow morning. I like the local morning show so that will be the test. If no go, then I will figure out something to do with the stocker in terms shortening it.
If the station has a strong signal and you are close then are you good, but if it has a weak signal or you are a little ways out from one of the towers then you are going to have static. I used to get a show from Orlando (90 minutes from me) with the stock antenna, but I don't get squat with the shortie.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
All honda emblems are plastic, I've never seen one made of metal.
I've gone thru many too.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Spoon-Fit
All honda emblems are plastic, I've never seen one made of metal.
I've gone thru many too.
Yeah not the end of the world. I just thought it would be metal. Maybe because I saw knockoffs that were metal. The kind that light up with Neon and stuff. So it isn't a big deal. Just thought "Hmmm...plastic"

Kris