Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

N/A vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:47 PM
N/A vs. Turbo

How would the gains compare if you did I/H/E to an engine with the T1R turbo kit? Would it be worth it to go with forced induction or N/A? Which would be better for daily driving? So many questions, just trying to figure out where to spend my money

Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
I am doing I/H/E and underdrive pulley. That's it until they come out with an A/T tranny upgrade and new internals.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
you cant put a header on a turbo car.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I know that.... i was just asking the difference in gains between a turbo engine and an engine with I/H/E

Old 11-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by southwilrise87
How would the gains compare if you did I/H/E to an engine with the T1R turbo kit? Would it be worth it to go with forced induction or N/A? Which would be better for daily driving? So many questions, just trying to figure out where to spend my money
N/A would be much better for daily driving because it does not add as much stress to the engine as turbo charging.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
u can?? wouldn't that just be upgrading the turb manifold?? i think u're talking about the super charger....

if u're going i/h/e then forget the turbo and go with the SC there for what ever you get now, such as i/h/e, can bolt directly onto your SC.... any forced induction will give you gains over the basic bolt ons but maintenance and tuning can be costly for either turbo or SC. until more internal parts come out for the 1.5L, i'm not sure if the gains are going to be as much fun as any force induction!!

scott

Old 11-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm pretty N/A usualy, but the jackson kit is pretty awesome.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
if you are not going into boost while daily driving its not going to be any harder on the motor than na is.

eg:
turbo starts building boost at 4500 rpm if you shift around 3-3500 you won't be seeing any boost. turbo is all in the tunning. i know of plenty turbo cars that are daily driven without any problems

Old 11-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Turbos wont build boost unless you make them. Half to full throttle will make them spool. You can rev all you want without pushing down the gas hard and not make boost. Is it good for the motor, no.

An NA Fit vs a turbo Fit isnt all that big of a difference besides one is turbo and one isnt. The Fit shouldnt drive any different after its been turbo. No matter what the motor is still going to perform the same as when it was NA just once the turbo spools you'll have way more power.

BUT, its all in the tune offered from AJRacing. If they have they tune throwing unnecessary fuel in before the turbo spools then yes the car will seem a bit sluggish.

For the people that buy their kit I highly suggest getting a retune for YOUR car. Although these cars are brand new with no miles they are all different. Not to mention the area you live it (Elevations, weather...)

Old 11-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
well, here's my thought. If we are doing i/h/e, are we just putting "old School technology" in to a hi-tech technology? I mean, with the sofistication of all the sensors in teh engine maping system, maf, map, knocks....with all the "bolt on" parts that we bolt on, will the ECM just "remap" all the perameters that that i goes back to it's "efficiency and reliable" mode? Dont' get me wrong, i will be putting an intake, headers and exhaust into my fit too, but will it give me the same performance upgrades as it would on a carburated vehicle?

Old 11-10-2006, 04:45 PM
there is power to be had in the L15 with bolt ons. With these newer engines its just a little harder to improve the stock designs without spending a ton. The place where you can do better then the factory is that you can set your budget higher for better parts, they have to keep production costs low.