Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Greddy Evo 2 Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 AM
^More gains. But a cat back should also be louder.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocklee_110
what are the main advantages of getting a cat back exhaust as opposed to an axle back exhuast?
For background-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_system

Cat back and axle back refer to where the upgraded exhaust starts from and then continues to the tip of the tail pipe.

Designs can vary alot. Cat back is from the catalytic converter on back so there can be more parts compared to the axle back (from the rear axle).
Both designs can be stainless steel or not which can affect the exhaust noise and also durability against rust and warranty time. Some stainless steel systems offer lifetime warranty (Borla).

Power and torque gains vary widely and sometimes depends on your other upgrades to the engine (intake, headers, etc).

Cat back can cost more than axle back or they can be similar in price. Many systems are bolt on but not all, some you have to cut the pipe and weld the muffler on or cut the stock pipe and clamp on the upgrade. All systems will use existing hangers but some model year cars have different hangers and require slightly different exhausts.

Noise doesn't equal more performance, you have to check with a dyno or with actual performance times (1/4 mile times). Headers upgraded and no cat can lead to more noise and might not be legal in your local area- some upgrades can be sold as for off road use (track) only.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
OOOOH,,, I love GReddy. Had one on my DC and EF. the tone and the fact that those were 50 state legal helped my decisions on those cars. and will most likely make my decision on the Fit's exh

Old 01-13-2007, 03:02 PM
I had this cat back on my 2000 Si and loved the sound. I don't remember it being too loud ,but it definately didn't sound like alot of the "fart cans" I've heard before.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I will be getting this exhaust in just a few days, whenever it ships to my door. My boyfriend has the CB EVO2 on his Evo and it works great. I chose to do an axel-back version because the catback cuts out the noise filter, and I don't want a stereotypical ricer Honda.

I'll let you all know how it goes, and what I think when it's there. Hopefully someone will be there to take pics of the install so I can prove I did it myself, and if so I will post some up for you.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Got it installed - check out the other thread about the Evo2 exhaust for pics.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Catback: Mandrel bent pipings
Stock: Crush bent

You do get more flow from catback but don't go overboard with the piping size or else you'll lose quite a bit of torque.