Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Arc intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AdvonSpaanDC5
sorry for bringing this thread up, i know it's a old thread. but i was just curious doesn't anybody notice the difference between the usdm market vs the japanese market? if you look at the usdm market, most of them all they care about is "drag racing" or pretty much anything to do with all out power. while the japanese market cares more about driving pleasure and response.

look at the cars what they consider "sports" cars. a 300hp nissan fairlady z isn't a "real" sports car to them, while a 135hp miata is a real sports car.

so it comes to no surprise to me that when they build their products for the japanese market, they are more inclined towards quick throttle response vs all out power. and when they on are on the racing track, midrange power and torque (and throttle control) is more important than top end power.
Finally, someone hits the nail on the head. Here, when someone asks how fast a car is you invariably get a 1/4 mile time as an answer; in Japan you'll get lap times usually. Not saying they don't do drag, 'cause they do, but their emphasis is on circuit running, time attack, gymkhana, drift, touge, etc., so that's what they tune for.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
this thread was good to read as the differences of SR intakes, CAI, and chamber intakes...i have a drop in K&N filter and it does well better than stock, I will be considering an intake, but for now i really want to work suspension for now...i want my car to perform well at the track. I am intrigued how the japanese tune their cars. So overall which intake would be best for me...SR, CAI, or chamber intake for the route that i am going with my car

Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
I would say a chamber or SR since you'd be looking for throttle response.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dacalac
I would say a chamber or SR since you'd be looking for throttle response.
thanks man...by the time i am ready there should be a ton of choices for what intake i will getno CAI

Old 11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paulo107
thanks man...by the time i am ready there should be a ton of choices for what intake i will getno CAI
It's good that you are actually researching the parts you want to suit your needs. A lot of people just slap on parts that everyone else buys without thinking about how all the parts will work together.

Like a short ram / induction box + 4-2-1 header will give better throttle response and mid range power.

A cold air intake + 4-1 header will give lots of top end power.

Where would you want to have your power? Low/Mids or Upper RPM ranges?

Old 11-10-2006, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dacalac
It's good that you are actually researching the parts you want to suit your needs. A lot of people just slap on parts that everyone else buys without thinking about how all the parts will work together.

Like a short ram / induction box + 4-2-1 header will give better throttle response and mid range power.

A cold air intake + 4-1 header will give lots of top end power.

Where would you want to have your power? Low/Mids or Upper RPM ranges?
i research like crazy...i want everything to work right
So the SR/ chamber intakes will do best for me as to how i want to have the power of my car...so in all low/mid RPM range is what i want to do. I was looking at the H-FIT.com intake...looks real good so far...if you have info on these guys and the intake feel free to let me know more...once again D thanks for the help

Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by 805FitSport
from my experience, all ARC intakes suck when it comes to performance, i like to call them hot air intakes.
that is the truth, while it makes great sound and improves throttle response. The box itself holds heat and suffers from heatsoaking. i'm still curious to hear what it sounds like.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
OT:

I always thought the Japanese valued a great exhaust tone the most! I could be wrong. Hey, maybe I got that from Initial D who knows hahah.