Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

hp gains: Aftermarket exhaust v. no muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:11 AM
hp gains: Aftermarket exhaust v. no muffler

What is it that makes an aftermarket exhaust create more power on the dyno v. the stock exhaust? If the reason relates to the aftermarket exhaust having less restriction, then whouldn't just removing the stock muffler yield the highest power gains???

I have been running my manual GD3 without a muffler for over a month and have noticed an increase in throttle responce and also better gas mileage. I have not run a dyno and can't say for sure that the gains I am "feeling" are not just a plesebo affect.

If Someone can validate what I am "Feeling" I'll keep the muffler off, add a CAI, and call it a day.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Old 07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Someone that Posts too much
it's probably all noise and no gains.. and dirty undercarriage

-joe

Old 07-27-2006, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
No gains? I disagree... Even if everyone has its theory, I think that:

"The best mufflers are no mufflers at all"

Have a look at these...
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

What about your noise or sound, instead?

Old 07-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by avosfit
What is it that makes an aftermarket exhaust create more power on the dyno v. the stock exhaust? If the reason relates to the aftermarket exhaust having less restriction, then whouldn't just removing the stock muffler yield the highest power gains???

I have been running my manual GD3 without a muffler for over a month and have noticed an increase in throttle responce and also better gas mileage. I have not run a dyno and can't say for sure that the gains I am "feeling" are not just a plesebo affect.

If Someone can validate what I am "Feeling" I'll keep the muffler off, add a CAI, and call it a day.

Thanks in advance for your help...
Doesn't anything get burned underneath your car?

Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
I have definitively felt a responce with no muff. I was going to put a picture here ( it is in the other tread) but somebody in my office put a restriction to image shack so no picture. I have a custom pipe made, so no smoked area under the car, instead I have a nice looking tip at the end.

Anyway it should be nice to somebody proove us wrong with a dyno sheet. ( we could be wrong, we are not perfect...almost!)

Anyway, my point is that I spend $90 in my custom pipe, and not 300-plus on a axle back. And I am shure that is less restrictive, and ligthweight...

please advise

Old 07-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
I have definitively felt a responce with no muff. I was going to put a picture here ( it is in the other tread) but somebody in my office put a restriction to image shack so no picture. I have a custom pipe made, so no smoked area under the car, instead I have a nice looking tip at the end.

Anyway it should be nice to somebody proove us wrong with a dyno sheet. ( we could be wrong, we are not perfect...almost!)

Anyway, my point is that I spend $90 in my custom pipe, and not 300-plus on a axle back. And I am shure that is less restrictive, and ligthweight...

please advise
Pics please! I would love to see pics of yours coz I might be doing the same to mine

Old 07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
damn youre crazy. hope u dont get pulled over...

Old 07-28-2006, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackgd3
Pics please! I would love to see pics of yours coz I might be doing the same to mine
I am not able to put more pics, because of the corporate internet nanny, but I have the pictures here anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler?? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

look for them and please give me feedback...

And phillypino...damn youre crazy. hope u dont get pulled over... The turbo neon came with no muff from factory.... the law restrict you about the db level, and belive me it is not that loud. I can even pass emission test since I have my cat and even stock ressonator

Last edited by carlosalicea; 07-28-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
I am not able to put more pics, because of the corporate internet nanny, but I have the pictures here anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler?? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

look for them and please give me feedback...

And phillypino...damn youre crazy. hope u dont get pulled over... The turbo neon came with no muff from factory.... the law restrict you about the db level, and belive me it is not that loud. I can even pass emission test since I have my cat and even stock ressonator
It looks clean I was hoping for pictures that are far back from the rear so we could get an idea of how it really looks like

Old 07-28-2006, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
It looks clean I was hoping for pictures that are far back from the rear so we could get an idea of how it really looks like
Thanks

It looks almost factory placed there......i.e. like the one in the scion Xa....not overdone, just like you said...clean

ahhhh if you know other site to post pics than image shak please let me know ( I can't use it anymore here at work)

Last edited by carlosalicea; 07-28-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 AM
you could try www.photobucket.com

Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
you could try www.photobucket.com
THANKS I'LL TRY IT

Old 07-29-2006, 01:56 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i used to make fun of the "rice guys", but i drive a honda now and i used to say i will never go to honda...F-it i will try this myself...the way motors are coming out now that sound problem will not be the same as in a D16 with no muffler...i heard the vid and it does not sound bad at all...as for us to rep that 109HP well we still got XBs, XAs, out there to race with their 106HP we are just having fun here guys and if anyone comes up with something bizarre well give them props...keep doing your thing man...

Old 07-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Someone that Posts too much
backpressure sometimes it's good, if it's designed properly.. to help salvage gases from the exhaust stroke.. read up on it

-joe

Old 07-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Doesn't anything get burned underneath your car?
I haven't had any problems with heat, fumes, cops... I couldn't be happier

Old 07-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
You are on the right path here you want less back pressure not more. Just look at any style racing do they put mufflers on to increase back pressure of course not. If you like the sound there is no reason to put on a muffler.
Thanks Claymore!!! Keep up the good work

Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
You are on the right path here you want less back pressure not more. Just look at any style racing do they put mufflers on to increase back pressure of course not. If you like the sound there is no reason to put on a muffler.
Yea thanks. Now I just want to go solo-1 on the fit. I got a good price for the Helium Konigs and toyos , and already start to search the limits of the fit. And already have a scarry spin, but Here I am alone so parts will have to come really slow.Anyway will go to the autocross (solo-1) in stock form and as I am not luky to live , in cali or so (where the parts are been tested/developed/created) will go the hard way, and have fun like the poor man I am.

sorry for going of topic......NO MUFFLER AT ALL. PERIOD!!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone found any nice looking exhaust TIPS to use? I want to do as carlosalicea did any have a shop run piping from the axel to the rear bumper but I can't find any decent tips. I want a nice oval/dual circular tip setup.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by GoFits
Anyone found any nice looking exhaust TIPS to use? I want to do as carlosalicea did any have a shop run piping from the axel to the rear bumper but I can't find any decent tips. I want a nice oval/dual circular tip setup.
Mine is a Magnaflow oval ( not very big ) and it looks pretty clean. only it turn a little yellowish, but now it looks like if were kind of gold from the factory, wish looks coll on my Taffeta white......aaaa I live in Puerto Rico, so don,t know if the $55 I pay for the tip is much or not ( $55 was part of the total $90 I pay for the job )

Hope you find one that goes with your style!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 12:31 PM
anyone got their car w/o muffler got a dyno on it?i wonder are there any hp increase on it and since some1 metioned the best muffler is w/o a muffler?do you think the hp gains will be more than a straight muffler like the N1 series.some muffler can give the car a 5hp gain and since youre runnig w/o one would the gain in hp be more.thinking of trying it myself too

Quick Reply: hp gains: Aftermarket exhaust v. no muffler