Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

KWSC Highboost Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
KWSC Highboost Emissions

Hi everybody, I have been looking at the Highboost kit and I'm quite impressed with it, I know a couple of my fellow fit-freaks have this kit. I know that it shouldn't be driven on pollution controlled vehicles, however I know that's not always the case. My question is: does anyone know if the kit would actually pass an emissions test? I'm not expecting it to pass a California test since it doesn't have the CARB sticker, but does that kit make that much more emissions or is not street legal due to the fact that it removes the governor? Thanks for the help.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Emissions on CO2 and other gasses is what makes it not pass. It will not pass due to the bigger injectors and tune. It will be over "acceptable levels"

Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
If you don't live in a county that is highly populated all that is necessary to pass the state inspection is having the catalytic converter on the car....

Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. If anyone else wants to throw in their 2 cents I am all ears.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by jjboyes06
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. If anyone else wants to throw in their 2 cents I am all ears.
From what I can find online, Yuma specifically does not have emissions requirements for passenger vehicles. Have you had to submit your Fit or any other vehicle for testing?

And as long as the car is at spec. operating temperature, there are no CELs/DTCs, electrical problems, vacuum leaks, and a good, sealed gas cap with a functioning stock diameter catalytic converter you should be good to go in most places.

FWIW, My OBD2 Talon passed emissions here in Cook County, back in the early 2000s when I was tuning through a crude S-AFC II with 680cc/min injectors, a 3" turbo back exhaust and a Greddy 18G turbo (44lbs/min)

So unless you or the kraftwerks kit has done drastic changes to the load cells under 100kPa/2500rpm you should be just fine.

CARB would still fail you of course. Now if you still cannot pass, add a bottle of rubbing alcohol to the tank before testing.. I have done this on friends with heavily modified cars. Helps to have a half tank or less, do it before pulling into the queue, and leave the car running while in line.

Were it an option on our Fits, I would tell you to dump in a couple gallons of E85, but this would go horribly wrong on even the 310cc/min injectors and stock pump because of the difference in volume required to meet specific lambda targets in the ECU..

Of course you could always find a city or county, like Bullhead, AZ, with no emissions requirements and register the car there with a city sticker.

Kankakee in Illinois has a similar set of policies, and I have used that to my advantage in the past.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-24-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge DiamondStarMonsters, after looking through the internet I have found multiple people saying the same thing that you have found. The test in Yuma is no more than a visual inspection. I went through it and thought it was the only test done because my car was a newer model. With this knowledge I think I will be a little more grateful to the little town and not complain so much about the hot summers : )

Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Emissions on CO2 and other gasses is what makes it not pass. It will not pass due to the bigger injectors and tune. It will be over "acceptable levels"
Just trying to clarify here. Does this mean that both the 5 PSI basic and the 10 PSI high-boost kits will fail the CO2/gas portion of the emissions test or just the kits with the larger injectors? Or will having the provided tune (both Supercard and Hondata) alone cause it to fail?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Just trying to clarify here. Does this mean that both the 5 PSI basic and the 10 PSI high-boost kits will fail the CO2/gas portion of the emissions test or just the kits with the larger injectors? Or will having the provided tune (both Supercard and Hondata) alone cause it to fail?
It is in the tune, not the injectors

Injectors are just that, they inject fuel on command, and only as much as you tell them.

Otherwise how would people pass with 1000cc+ injectors... it is just easier to pass with smaller injectors because of deadtime adjustments and the sheer physical size difference and the distances need to be covered by the ball/pintle or other designs.

Going from an EPA compliant setup with 185cc/min injectors to only 310cc/min is not that bad.. it is a global correction of -59.7% though, which is significant but still do able.

The FIC1450s I have in my car at the moment, for instance, came out of an OBD2 Evo 8 that passed emissions for the year he had them. He just had to use individual dead time adjustments.. they averaged out to 615 uSec from what I remember.. I currently have them (averaged among the 4) at ~645uSec because my 18 year old injector harness has a higher resistance apparently.

For reference, my global ajdustment is nearly -70% because my car had 450cc/min injectors stock, and the Evo has 560s stock, which made his global adjustment -61.4%

Yes this is a fair apples to apples comparison because the Evo8 560s have the same dead time, arguably faster, than my 1G DSM's original 450s. Honda's 310s and 185s appear to be comparable in that regard as well.

With all that said, it is certainly do-able but the tune doesn't seem to allow it, to be fair to KW my tunes are for individual cars and unique components, KW had to put out a tune that would work around the country, on many setups.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-24-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Meant to post these earlier to kind of clarify what I was talking about:

injbatadj [ECMTuning - wiki]

baseinjectordata [ECMTuning - wiki]

fuelsettingshelp [ECMTuning - wiki]

e85fuel [ECMTuning - wiki]

These are dealing with the basic tools you are given for setting up your base injector information in any form of serious engine management: Hondata, AEM, Haltech, MegaSquirt, RacePack, etc.

Several are more sophisticated, some less. It is not fair to say anything can pass emissions, but a surprising array of configurations can if you try.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
so i should be able to pass in vegas since they just hook up to the ecu to do a smog check right?they dont do the wand in the tailpipe like in cali.they also check to see if cel is on...thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
what part of yuma you at? i used to live on pacific and 24th