Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

KWSC - was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
KWSC - was it worth it?

so, i'm considering a base kit for the wife's AT equipped fit. but the things i'm considering include
1. price to power, as in 2900 for the kit alone before the other costs of installing. so that's less than 30whp for a good bit of money.
2. looking through some of the issues, seems like the MAP sensor and the CELs it causes is an open and unresolved issue.

i'd like to hear what the real cost of the kit is. things like CELs, downtime for example. i know that there is an individual that uninstalled the kwsc, to ultimately sell the kit at some point at a loss.

so, was it worth it?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 PM
im thinking of getting the kit also and i dont know if the people @ kraftwerks know about it but on corsportusa.com they have the kit for $2795 free shipping which is cheaper than on they're site...just giving u a heads up.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 PM
If the stock MAP is failing, maybe we can replace it with a 2 bar Sensor? There are just 3 millions of them in junk yards on Turbo Dodges! (Shadow, Spirit R\T, SRT4, etc)

Maybe something to check out?

Marko!!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
If the stock MAP is failing, maybe we can replace it with a 2 bar Sensor? There are just 3 millions of them in junk yards on Turbo Dodges! (Shadow, Spirit R\T, SRT4, etc)

Maybe something to check out?

Marko!!
problem is with the supercard. since it isn't programmable for the end user, there would be no way to adjust the scaling for another sensor.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:19 PM
In that case, in AEM FIC we trust!!

MArko!!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
so, i'm considering a base kit for the wife's AT equipped fit. but the things i'm considering include
1. price to power, as in 2900 for the kit alone before the other costs of installing. so that's less than 30whp for a good bit of money.
2. looking through some of the issues, seems like the MAP sensor and the CELs it causes is an open and unresolved issue.

i'd like to hear what the real cost of the kit is. things like CELs, downtime for example. i know that there is an individual that uninstalled the kwsc, to ultimately sell the kit at some point at a loss.

so, was it worth it?
CORRECT installation on the kit shouldnt cause a CEL. The individual who removed the kit, removed it due to running something over and busting the rotrex oil filter spilling the oil and seizing the rotrex.. Ive been running the KW kit for 3 years.... 0 problems. I have been through all the stages from base to mid to highboost. I have also driven the AT base kit car... Is this going to give you a jaw dropping power increase? no... but is it worth it to make the car that much more fun? YES. DEFINITELY. BTW support KW and buy from their site or a authorized dealer. Remember purchase from a un-authorized dealer results in NO WARRANTY.

Have fun and join the boost crew!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
CORRECT installation on the kit shouldnt cause a CEL. The individual who removed the kit, removed it due to running something over and busting the rotrex oil filter spilling the oil and seizing the rotrex.. Ive been running the KW kit for 3 years.... 0 problems. I have been through all the stages from base to mid to highboost. I have also driven the AT base kit car... Is this going to give you a jaw dropping power increase? no... but is it worth it to make the car that much more fun? YES. DEFINITELY. BTW support KW and buy from their site or a authorized dealer. Remember purchase from a un-authorized dealer results in NO WARRANTY.

Have fun and join the boost crew!
Holy crap chris thanks for the heads up i would've never known that i guess paying the extra $200 would be worth it in the long run.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
I don't think the kit has a problem with the MAP sensor. Mine crapped out in general all of a sudden after 30,000+ total miles on the car, 10k miles with the KWSC on the car. After I replaced it I have not had any more issues regarding the MAP so far. My only concern at the time was using boost when my MAP was failing, not that the KWSC caused the failure.

Just to put my 2 cents in, I've had the kit for almost a full year now and haven't had a single real problem with the kit itself yet. There are issues that come and go with the car that might conflict with the kit, but nothing has gone wrong with the kit itself so far. It's a pleasure to drive every day and for the most part very simple to maintain. I'm planning to keep my car till it falls apart and hopefully the kit lasts until then.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Man that's quite expensive. But I think it's worth it.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
hey chris, the point i'm bringing up with the guy selling his kit is that he's selling his kit. so after spending the money for the kit plus install, plus the time and money to uninstall, the final decision is that it wasn't worth putting back on. that certainly says something, doesn't it?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
The kit makes the car feel like it should be. Doesn't make it an Evo killer or anything, but hey you won't be crawling up a hill anymore.

btw...my kit's up for sale!
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale...-base-kit.html

Buying mine won't have the warranty I suppose, but I'm selling mine for oh so much cheaper!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by usmc0341
The kit makes the car feel like it should be. Doesn't make it an Evo killer or anything, but hey you won't be crawling up a hill anymore.

Buying mine won't have the warranty I suppose, but I'm selling mine for oh so much cheaper!

what would you compare the speed/acceleration to?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly? Like a 2002 Honda Accord V6.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
I don't think the kit has a problem with the MAP sensor. Mine crapped out in general all of a sudden after 30,000+ total miles on the car, 10k miles with the KWSC on the car.

There are issues that come and go with the car that might conflict with the kit, but nothing has gone wrong with the kit itself so far.
one question is how many non KWSC cars have MAP sensor failures at 30k. for stock cars, i can't think of any. so there seems to be a relationship there.

what were the other issues that come and go that might conflict with the kit? i'm curious about everything, even if you think it's minor.

for context, the fit is my wife's car and the family car. other than the horrible gas mileage, the car works. i'm not interested in spending lots of time troubleshooting anymore now that i have a kid. so that's why i'm trying to get a good grasp on what the real costs of the kit are, not just the advertised price.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by usmc0341

why are you selling, if i may ask?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
what were the other issues that come and go that might conflict with the kit? i'm curious about everything, even if you think it's minor.
I have no problems whatsoever, except for my car sipping premium unleaded with crappy gas mileage (24-27 mpg in street traffic).

so that's why i'm trying to get a good grasp on what the real costs of the kit are, not just the advertised price.
Well anywhere else you would buy this kit, include tax, shipping and install. Installing this at a reputable shop will probably cost you $800.

Sooo...$3000 (kit) + $270 (avg tax) + $800 (install) = $4070.

And of course to toot my own horn, if you buy my kit (about 10k miles on it)...$2500 (obo!) + $0 (tax) + $800 (install, get it done right!) = $3300.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
why are you selling, if i may ask?
Honestly? I should've been out of the tuner scene a long, long time ago. I had a Ridgeline and got scared when the gas prices rose.

So I got a Fit, realized it needed some creature comforts (JDM console, passenger mirror, etc) and oomph!

Bah! This Fit pulled me back in! (think Godfather)

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
one question is how many non KWSC cars have MAP sensor failures at 30k. for stock cars, i can't think of any. so there seems to be a relationship there.

for context, the fit is my wife's car and the family car. other than the horrible gas mileage, the car works. i'm not interested in spending lots of time troubleshooting anymore now that i have a kid. so that's why i'm trying to get a good grasp on what the real costs of the kit are, not just the advertised price.
Well my car's had vacuum problems for a long time that took a while figuring out & fixing. Finally got the leak fixed for good at like 30,000 miles - it kept coming back over and over killing my engine whenever it did. I'm sure that contributed to the MAP sensor crapping out. Did the KWSC contribute to it? Maybe, maybe not, but I haven't heard of anyone else having issues.

What I meant by other problems was that just in general, you're probably going to have some issues come up with the car at some point that will make things a bit more complicated now that there's the supercharger on the car. Ex. if your map sensor starts popping codes and might be giving the wrong readings, you probably don't want to enter boost since the supercard & map stabilizer are directly spliced into the map sensor's harness. So until you have that fixed, you better have a boost gauge and a light foot. Just a little bit more you have to keep an eye on obviously if you're going to go into something like FI. Also if you're like me and not too experienced with cars going into this headfirst, every problem that comes up will have the added burden of wondering if it will affect the supercharger or if the supercharger was problem. I'll definitely suggest what someone else has said, that you should get the kit only if you can install it yourself. That way you know what you're getting into and can deal with most problems and issues that might come up if ever.

For price, a few things to think about on top of what usmc0341 listed: 91 oct gas + more frequent oil & transmission fluid changes + more frequent belt changes + $100 rotrex oil / $37.50 filter every 2 years + gauges (at the very least one for boost and a scangauge to watch IAT & water temp, unless you don't care if you're boosting or not at any given time)

I also have the same issue with the Fit gulping gas like usmc0341 - I get average 22-23 mpg doing city & highway, not being stingy with boost. This is in socal by the way. My car didn't get very good mileage before boosting, but now that it's boosted it's gone down a good bit (why buy a supercharger if you don't use it right?). If I don't use boost at all, I can do 26-28 mpg - so basically I've seen a drop of 4-5 mpg after getting the kit based on my driving habits.

If you're fine with spending thousands to bump up the Fit's drivability from "not bad!" to "good fun!", it's good deal. The question is whether or not that would be worth it if it's going to be for your wife's Fit (which is the family car as you said). Although using boost is killing my MPG, there is no better way to justify the money I spent on the kit so far than to go for a 0-75 mph takeoff at full boost. Good fun times.

Last edited by Koi; 02-23-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well lets see I have been getting a P0404 CEL. I have already had to replace the belt for the SC then a week later the auto tensenoir failed be cause it was not propely tensioned causing the bottoming stop to snap off and the tensioner unwound itself beyond the bottoming stop, causing my new belt to snap. I now have this fun little problem that when I give it full gas and in the higher RPMs a CEL will flash then go away, if it does stay I get a P0000 which I cant seem to find what it means any where. when the car does work right its a blast, when it has problems it pisses me off to know end.

about the AEM FI/C would that completely replace the super card?

Last edited by MNfit; 02-23-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought the Fit used a MAF... or does it use both? I wikipedia'd it and it said cars rarely use both. So what's the deal hear?

Quick Reply: KWSC - was it worth it?