Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Big Resonators? Quiet w/o Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Big Resonators? Quiet w/o Cat?

So when i had my focus, it had a cat-deleting 4-1 race header. the focus' stock single resonator double muffler system was also replaced with a 2 inch catback that had a mostly worthless resonator (sound wise) and a single muffler.

My friends described it as broken, a low flying airplane, a weed wacker, and someone asked if i had skittles in my engine. Honda guys now that sound all too well.

Well after i got a ticket for my loud exhuast, i bought a FocusSport stealth resonator. it was 6 inch dia resonator that was probably about 18-20 inches long. After i put that resonator on my car, it sounded like the cat was back! the car was of bearable volume again, comparable to my cat back setup w/o the race header. Eventually the resonator did wear in and get louder, but it still didnt sound bad at all considering it had no cat!

Now im driving my Honda Fit and researching exhaust options, and i refuse to drive another low flying airplane. the tanabe medallion seems pretty nice and quiet, but all of the b-pipes ive seen have very small resonators.

Is there an option out there for a more substantial bolt on resonator? Maybe just custom Magnaflow or something? Or is the stock b-pipe effective enough to leave alone for volumes sake?

P.S. If anyone has any clips of a fit without a cat that either has its stock catback intact or doesnt sound like its running on skittles, let me know!

Old 07-23-2009, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...os-inside.html

This thread has videos of all the common systems.

I can share my experiences though.

Stock with just Axleback removed sounds good, tone is ok as is Db level.
Stock with just a Megan test pipe, tone is ok Db level is pretty quiet since the stock muffler quiets it a lot.
Megan Test pipe with no axleback, so only the stock resonator to quiet it. Tone is HORRIBLE and Db level is insane. Backfired like a shotgun and sounded horrid at WOT but I expected no less.
Full 2.5" Catback with Thrush chambered muffler - Tone is great and Db level is perfect since the cat is back on. Actually it is a little quieter than all stock with only the axleback taken off.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Next week I will have a sound clip of my car with a T1R Header, T1R test-pipe, Spoon B-pipe and Spoon N1 axle back.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM
spoon exhaust without cat, i would guess very loud hehe

looked through the exhaust vids, but no one has recorded the stock exhaust, or anything quiet, without a cat (that i saw). hmm if only i had a test pipe..