Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

does adding an intake really give you more mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:51 AM
does adding an intake really give you more mpg?

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and my car is all stock except for some tint work and a mugen shift boot. I also have all-weather floor mats, courtesy of the dealership I have a SSM GD3 btw. Anyways, I've always thought about adding an intake/exhaust but ultimately decided against it since the hp gains seemed minimal and I'd accepted that my car was going to be slow unless I go FI or something. So I've been saving up money to upgrade my suspension, but while reading these forums I read somewhere that a member actually experienced more mpg with an aftermarket intake installed. If thats true, I may just get one since I've always enjoyed the gentle roar of my friend's intake on his prelude (i forget which brand it is). Also, I live in CA, and it doesn't rain that much, so would it be a problem having a CAI? I know theres the issue of hydrolocking, but i doubt there'd be a flood or anything....

Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
I always thought that intake = more air = more fuel mixture, but it seems like a lot of people are getting better MPG by adding an intake.

I'm personally rocking the stock intake with K&N Drop In Filter.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
im rockin the stock intake with k&n drop in. i also have a scangauge, i also get 45+mpg all day err day

Old 07-02-2009, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
cai ftw. it helps.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Ditto for me on the K&N drop in. Got 43 mpg on my trip to NYC to help my friend move, that was a LOT of stop and go from Queens to Brooklyn. If your looking to keep stock and get a bit more HP then check out the post from Oscar Jackson Sr. on spark plugs. Thats my next purchase.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
isn't short ram beteer for city driving fer higher temps...n cai for highway...i needa clean my filter...or just buy a new one here

Old 07-02-2009, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
count one more for the k&n drop in filter. i cut out all the baffles in the stock airbox for more airflow and it does help. i don't know if doing so increased hp but it's definitely more responsive.

i noticed a 2-4mpg gain since the drop in filter and airbox mod

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chaaree
count one more for the k&n drop in filter. i cut out all the baffles in the stock airbox for more airflow and it does help. i don't know if doing so increased hp but it's definitely more responsive.

i noticed a 2-4mpg gain since the drop in filter and airbox mod
The funny thing is that with my modded intake my MPG DROP...must be my driving

Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
The funny thing is that with my modded intake my MPG DROP...must be my driving
that could be it! i prefer engine growl over the radio sometimes

Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
again it comes down to how you drive, after I calmed down a bit after installing my intake I drove 'very economically' on the freeway, my previous best consistent rate was 5.9L/100km after installing the intake I held it on 5.1L/100km and even saw 5.0

Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
if you break it down to chemistry, having an intake that takes in more oxygen should give you more MPG. More oxygen means more gas is reacted and therefore you get more power, meaning you won't need to step on the pedal as much, saving u money. The problem with having very oxygen rich mixtures, is you start producing alot of NO2 and all the nasty stuff no ones wants your engine to produce. The downside of having low oxygen mixtures, is of course unreacted gas (which means losing $$$) but you produce mostly CO2.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:59 PM
that makes sense, also to those of you with an intake currently installed: do you find that the noise gets annoying sometimes? I ask because while I like hearing the engine growl haha, I don't want it to be too loud. Also, I am thinking about putting a filter into my car, which I saw in the Intake thread. Im thinking about getting the K & N one, since it seems to be the most popular. How hard is it to install it? I'm not very handy with cars haha

Old 07-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Well I installed my custom intake from Autozone today. I will modify it again tomorrow and will add another pipe. The noise is not that annoying except if you're in WOT but I prefer the quiet fit, its just my mind feels that it is more reliable with the stock air box because the car is quiet . I notice a little responsiveness and little increase in power but the car is still slow lol. Anyways I installed the SRI because I'm after the mpg. I know the intakes can get you more mpg because I used to have an accord with I/H/E and I'm getting good mpg from it.

I will surely monitor my mpg after installing the intake using the same driving style. I will report my mpg in here after 2 weeks.

Last edited by Black01; 07-04-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:15 PM
The funny thing is after installing my SRI, I almost pulled it out to install my stock air box because I am not used to the noise in the engine bay in the Fit. But my dad said to drive the car for about a few days and then decide I want to keep it on.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Your dad sounds like a very smart fellow.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Here's an initial update, I'm sure that I am getting better mpg but not sure how much yet because I've only gone one tank and drove the car with mix mild and hard driving but still got 41mpg which I normally get only when driving slow-mild style type of driving. I was able to pull 377miles in a tank and refilled with 9.026 gallons. Now with this second tank I will try to get 485-486miles in a tank riding 55-60mph which was my record in ECO Fit forum. I was able to achieve 45.xxmpg in a tank with a lot of effort in the process like running 50-55mph(or slower) in a 55mph road, FAS and P&G. I think 486 miles a tank is now possible without putting too much effort but I maybe wrong.

The only thing is that it is hard to keep myself from flooring the gas pedal to hear the sweet sound of the SSRI , power gain is noticeable with just adding the intake but not much. I will keep this thread posted with my test results.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Your dad sounds like a very smart fellow.
Yep he is smart and wise and he knows that the octane rating... nah nevermind payce!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I always thought that intake = more air = more fuel mixture, but it seems like a lot of people are getting better MPG by adding an intake.

I'm personally rocking the stock intake with K&N Drop In Filter.

I had better gas mileage with the k&N... however, from Gardena to Laughlin, my fit only spent 3/4 of a tank... Lots of hills, not bad...

Old 07-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi guys I'm delaying my report because my test failed due to its hard to keep my foot from squeezing the pedal and accelerating hard because that deep throaty sound from the SRI is addicting . I will try what i can get this week this week.

Last edited by Black01; 07-19-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:52 PM
haha i have the same problem

Quick Reply: does adding an intake really give you more mpg?