Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Short Ram Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Short Ram Intake Question

ok my question is, i ended up chopping up my hps CAI and made it shorter awhile back, i made it go to the side where it goes right beside the battery, ok now with that said i ended up changing it to the way they have it on their short ram kit where the pipping is very short, the throttle response is much better and the whole car feels better, now since i cant use the pipping to make it back to the CAI is it ok to run it that way or shuld i try to find some pipping to back infront of the wheel well, i just want to make sure it isnt going to ruin anything.

this is how i have it now

Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM
If there is a filter on the end of it, you're not going to ruin anything. Hell, if you want the ultimate short-ram just stick a filter on the TB.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
If there is a filter on the end of it, you're not going to ruin anything. Hell, if you want the ultimate short-ram just stick a filter on the TB.
ok good, i mean the turbo kits and super charger kits dont have cold air intakes they have the filter inside the engine bay pretty close to the engine heat so i mean nomatter what it shouldnt hurt anything, but hell i love the throttle response compared to the CAI, tooo much lag for me. thanx for telling me tho

Old 05-21-2009, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
I did the same thing and had the same results as you.... The throttle body is heated by hot water from the cooling system any way so the CAI is a bogus idea anyway.... If you want cooler intake, bypass the throttle body lines with a 3/8" brass air line splicer.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I did the same thing and had the same results as you.... The throttle body is heated by hot water from the cooling system any way so the CAI is a bogus idea anyway.... If you want cooler intake, bypass the throttle body lines with a 3/8" brass air line splicer.
ya i ended up just putting the filter by the battery to keep it away from the heat a little more, plus it sounds better and feels like it works better, its the exact same as all the short ram intakes they sell now anyways.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM
short ram intake

Well, over a year ago I was one of the first to buy SSI; great idea until it broke... messy plastic, I hope that they have improved on the design.
Well the first part of May: K&N. Spent most of yesterday mid morning doing the thing: poor fitment. Darn filter kept hanging up on the same piece of metal that the hood holder is near. Would have Fitted if I had hacked off a piece of metal:not!
Have sent them an e-mail, good company, and expect a RMA soon and will return. My son who works for Honda and I both think that IF I had opted for a mechanic to put in the filter would cost what ever the hourly wage is $85+ per hour. To take out the filter to clean would easily cost the same!
Poor filter design; no clearance what so ever!
And the strangest filter ever: large almost 4 inch opening. Could not put on anything else except maybe an Allison or whatever large truck intake! and I am not:

Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
There have been other complaints posted about the same product that you purchased.... K&N filters seldom need cleaning unless you live in a very dusty area. They still flow better than paper filters when caked up with dirt and aren't negatively affected by moisture.... I have used them for many years on cars and motorcycles.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
K&n filter

Yes, ok I use them on an AEM on my Accord and on my Fit as well. My prob is the "fitment" and design for the K&N Performance short ram intake. Very, very poor design: but they make good filters.
Thanks for the reply.
BTW, I just put the OEM chamber back on: took 15min... & am using K&N OEM replacement.