Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

FI or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
FI or not?

So I've had my 08 fit for about 8 months now, and never have I been more sure that I made the right decision in picking the fit over the civic si. Now, I love driving down mountains and down empty parking lots because the fit is just like an oversized golf cart! However, I have felt the occasional pine for more power. I was looking at FI as a method to get more power out of the engine, my only qualm is that it is expensive. So since I know close to nothing about cars, I had a few questions. Which would be a better route for me, superchargers or turbos? I live in CA, which has super strict smog laws...Also, how much hp could I expect from N/A modifications? I want more power, but i'm on a tight budget..The only other thought I had was that I should save up my money and instead buy a used, high performance car like a miata and use the fit as a DD. However, I'm a university student at UCLA and i think it would be hard to have two cars....Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!! oh yeah my car is a MT, forgot to mention

Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
You have three production options;

1) T1R Turbo kit
2) KraftWerks Super Charger (KWSC)
3) HKS Turbo Kit

I don't think any of them technically meet CA smog regulations though, maybe the low boost KWSC kit?

Do a LOT of research before you decide

I will tell you that I did NOT want to go FI with my car and it has cost me a lot more cash than any of these FI systems trying to get a decent power gain out of it.

With that said my car has remained a reliable DD which uses regular gas.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-24-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
i love college
hks is carb legal fyi

Old 04-25-2009, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
nah if I were to do it again I'd keep it NA
FI creates too much problems.... I can say my car never runs right ... Always little problems here and there
and yes it coated alot of money

Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
My car runs perfectly, with the KWSC, I'd have to say if Honda were to make a factory FI fit, this would be close if not exactly the same as how it would. Nice smooth power transition with boost, maybe from the factory it would make a little less noise, but drives perfectly. The only thing I would say is that with the 5lb kit you might be stuck hungering for more power, but if you have a manual and get the 10lb upgrade you'll have the option for more power down the road. Also I think the KWSC might cost a little more out of the box, but ease of installation might save you on that end. Also customer service side of things with the Jacksons is awesome, and since you live in CA they are right in your backyard and will be able to help you out with any technical issues you might run into, in the situation anything might happen.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 PM
With my turbo, I run in to problems here and there. I just did a valve adjustment a few minutes ago, actually. I've gotta replace my oil return pipe, I need new engine mounts, and I'm gonna need a new clutch soon.

And after all of it, I still keep coming back for more. You really bond with your car more once you've bled INTO the engine. I'm not talking that pansy-ass scraping your hand undoing your intake clamp. I mean hardcore, punch a rocker arm and drip blood into your motor. I feel like we're brothers now.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
You really bond with your car more once you've bled INTO the engine. I'm not talking that pansy-ass scraping your hand undoing your intake clamp. I mean hardcore, punch a rocker arm and drip blood into your motor. I feel like we're brothers now.
+1 to that shiznit!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Dynamic Fit: Yeah, I've been looking at the supercharger as a better alternative to the turbo, but will the high boost kit still be carb legal? If it is then I'll probably look into that. And thanks everyone for your replies!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by couragethedog
Dynamic Fit: Yeah, I've been looking at the supercharger as a better alternative to the turbo, but will the high boost kit still be carb legal? If it is then I'll probably look into that. And thanks everyone for your replies!
From what the Jacksons told me they are going to be trying to get CARB certification, but I think it's a lot harder to get when you start changing injectors. At the same time if anyone would be able to get it to pass, it'd be the Jacksons. Also in all honesty, if you wanted to go back to 5 psi, all you would need is another Fit ecu to swap back to, your original injectors, and the plug that goes into the supercharger. If you just bought somebodys extra ecu, it would be easy to go back to 5 psi and still pass smog.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
You bought an fuel efficient vehicle...that's what it is. That's what it will always be with that engine. Now, granted, even with F/I it can still be fuel efficient, but there is a law of diminishing returns...the fit's engine is much like the d-series in relation to SOHC and displacement...they are made to be fuel efficient. So even with F/I, the results would not warrant the money involved.

You get sick of sacrificing ride quality and sound noise as well...take it from me. My integra is not my favorite car to drive. It's fast as hell but it's also very loud and rides very stiff with coilovers. Will never ever go all out like I did with that car again.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I read somewhere that the L-series was the actual official replacement to the D-series as announced by Honda...

As for fuel efficiency, I just filled up and made 37.4 CITY. I average low 40s highway. Let's see your sports car do THAT! HA!

About fully building a car up as mentioned above, I'm afraid I'm headed in that direction unfortunately. I just ordered Innovative "track" mounts, and I'm eyeballing the Exedy Stg2 3 puck clutch. After that I want a rear sway bar and maybe springs / struts.

I know everything I do from here on out is going to make the car less comfortable, but all the parts are SO SHINY AND COOL! LOL I'm like a 4 year old in a candy store. A really, really expensive candy store.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I read somewhere that the L-series was the actual official replacement to the D-series as announced by Honda...

As for fuel efficiency, I just filled up and made 37.4 CITY. I average low 40s highway. Let's see your sports car do THAT! HA!

I can hit those numbers in my integra. Most cars are tuned rich from the factory. When you get it tuned on the dyno, they are much more accurate fuel ratios.

I hit 40 mpg on the way home from my tuning appt....that's with 330 whp.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Well damn, way to burst my bubble LOL.

MPG is possible with all of our (mostly similar) little 4 cyl engines. It's all in the tune. I'd pay good money to see a mustang GT or firebird/camaro make 40mpg without rolling downhill.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Well damn, way to burst my bubble LOL.

MPG is possible with all of our (mostly similar) little 4 cyl engines. It's all in the tune. I'd pay good money to see a mustang GT or firebird/camaro make 40mpg without rolling downhill.

That, you will never see, haha. Some domestics still use pushrod technology...

Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I know, isn't it funny?

Granted, they can make power with pushrod engines. I won't argue with that, but overhead cams are a much more elegant solution. Not to mention pushrods are 50+ year old technology.

I still find it hard to believe some engines STILL use flat tappet cam followers, let alone pushrods! I mean, come on people. If a flat metal to metal friction surface isn't the first place to look to increase longevity and efficiency then I don't know what is.