Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Anybody else have any problems with their T1R B-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Anybody else have any problems with their T1R B-pipe?

I was just wondering if anybody else here has had any problems with their T1R b-pipe, other than it hanging a little lower than the stock pipe.

On Friday last week (4/3/09), i missed work because when i started the car in the morning, i found out i had an exhaust leak. I've had the b-pipe installed for quite literally one year. i did not hit anything in the road, and i did not scrape the piping on the driveway or anything either. Everything was fine the night before when i parked the car on the driveway. When i started the car in the morning, it was obvious that a leak was present.

I listened to the sound and thought the gasket right after the cat was leaking, but when i jacked the car up, i found that the leak was actually coming from right behind that, where the first hanger on the T1R b-pipe is located. What happened was the hanger broke away from the pipe, and in doing so, took a dime-sized piece of the pipe with it. this left a dime-sized hole in the piping that i could stick the tip of my finger into. The whole weld just up and left with the hanger, which was still attacked to the exhaust bushing on the car. that's where all the farting and rattling came from. i called AJR to ask about it, knowing that at best, they'd want me to remove the exhaust and mail it to them, but i'd need an exhaust in the meantime. sure enough, that's what they wanted so i just told them i'd get the exhaust fixed/welded myself and send him pics for his reference. I only got a couple of bad pictures on the phone, because the tech at the shop took them for me. he didnt take any pictures of the hole (thanks very much...) but took like 3 of the broken hanger. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem, or hears any slight leaks from the welds on their T1R exhaust. The person at the shop added another piece to triangulate the failed hanger and so far so good.

I looked at pictures of other GD3 b-pipes afterwards, and noticed that all of the hangers on other manufacturer's b-pipes are not welded onto the tops of the b-pipes, but rather on the sides or the bottoms. any thoughts? should i worry about more hangers breaking off in the future?

J's racing's

Spoon's

and T1R's

The picture of T1R's shows all the pipes upside down from their actual orientation when installed, so the T1R logo welded onto the resonator is actually facing the ground when installed on the car (for example).

Last edited by doctordoom; 04-06-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
J_L
5 Year Member
Not good, I'm going to jack it up and do an inspection...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
you should check to see if any of the welds are cracked on the other hangers.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redrumm
you should check to see if any of the welds are cracked on the other hangers.
yea good thinking, that's exactly what i did. they look ok as of right now.