Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Throttle Body Bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Old 03-26-2009, 08:24 PM
If you look closer it says that their 8hp gains are on a '99 camaro, on a Fit you'd probably only see 2-3hp, but if it says it gains power by reducing air inlet temperatures, i'd sooner upgrade the stock radiator fans than buy some unknown product on ebay.

On a side note, when did my rep go up to 274 i'm pretty sure a couple days ago it was at 0?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
You could probably get away with using it in Florida (I have my doubts as to the gains you would see), but if you live somewhere where the temperature goes below freezing you might get throttle body icing if you bypass the coolant loop.

Car manufacturers don't just pump coolant through the throttle body for the fun of it.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 PM
On a buddy's Tiburon, it did wonders... (Aluminum Manifold was way cooler after!)
On my Mazda's, it screwed the IAC pretty bad!!

The upper plenum on a Fit is plastic so i doubt it will give a lot of power... it's not like the air passing thru the throttle would overheat the intake charge like crazy... most likely the lower plenum if you see whay i mean... :P

Marko!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by JCLW
You could probably get away with using it in Florida (I have my doubts as to the gains you would see), but if you live somewhere where the temperature goes below freezing you might get throttle body icing if you bypass the coolant loop.

Car manufacturers don't just pump coolant through the throttle body for the fun of it.
I've had this done for years on my Prelude, on that car all it takes is a simple hose swap and a piece of cardboard to block the fast idle valve. Zero negative side effects, other than taking an extra minute or two to warm up in sub-zero temperatures. Even in (way) below freezing temps, no worries about TB icing or any of that. Daily drove the car through winters in NH, western NY, Michigan, and most recently CT.

The "anti-icing" argument never really made sense to me . . . the biggest danger time for a throttle body icing up would be when the engine has just started, and everything is ambient temperature. But if the engine is cold, so is it's coolant . . . so how does pumping cold coolant into the TB help anything? I guess coolant might warm up a little quicker than the rest of the manifolds attached to the engine - but like I said, I've never experienced anything negative by eliminating the feature, even in temps as low as 20 or 30 below zero fahrenheit.

Originally Posted by DOHCtor
The upper plenum on a Fit is plastic so i doubt it will give a lot of power... it's not like the air passing thru the throttle would overheat the intake charge like crazy...
Yeah, there's very little power to be found here - air passes through the throttle body & intake manifold incredibly quickly, it has very little chance to be affected by the temp of parts. That said, every little bit helps. :shrug: