Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

should I swap out my stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 PM
should I swap out my stock exhaust?

hey guys, I have a 08 Fit Sport 5 SP and it is completely stock. I've had it for about 7 months now, and I am thinking about getting a new exhaust. I don't really know much about cars, so I figured I'd ask you guys for some advice. Are there any hp gains? Also, you guys that have aftermarket exhausts, do you find them to be too loud sometimes? I like the noise it emits, but some of my friends who have them make quite a racket. I looked at the youtube clips threads, and my favorites are the HKS and Spoon ones. Any recommendations? Thanks again!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I'd most definitely consider the amount of attention an exhaust gets as one of the things to think about when getting an exhaust. HP gains with an exhaust are pretty negligible so it pretty much rests on what sounds and looks good to you. I also liked the choices you brought up but I'm kind of leaning away from the canister look. I got a blitz realize tt catback for my other car and it's so sexy and low-key, 3" all the way back.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:02 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
IMO it really depends on how much money you want to spend. i would first start out with getting an air intake to help the fit breath better. then buy a progress rear sway bar cause the fit is designed to handle better than speed. then maybe consider exhaust to help it be more efficient but the full exhaust really doe not yeild high hp numbers.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 PM
the hfp isnt loud at all, i like it

Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
dont swap it out. unless you want less torque and more drone

Old 01-02-2009, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
dont swap it out. unless you want less torque and more drone
lol!
true

Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
im confused...less torque? could you explain that to me?

Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
more free flowing exhaust = less torque.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
honda wasnt ****ing around when they designed the fit. they didnt just throw that airbox on it. or the exhaust. that shit is tuned to work together. if it were "better" to have a fart cannon on the back, honda would have done that.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1WayFit
lol!
true
repped woot

Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
more free flowing exhaust = less torque.
I see, thanks for the clarification. How come people still get aftermarket exhausts then? I always figured that more air flow would be a good thing haha.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
hmm... IMO i think its better to drop it first with some nice lowing springs then jsut un bolt the muffler for awhile to see it you like it... then later Spoon or hks is a good choice =) other than that you can just get the HFP one that sounds nice too =)

Old 01-02-2009, 07:59 PM
honda wasnt ****ing around when they designed the fit. they didnt just throw that airbox on it. or the exhaust. that shit is tuned to work together. if it were "better" to have a fart cannon on the back, honda would have done that.
^^^^ So does that go for axle backs 2? or just full exhaust or even both, thanks for ur reply inadvanced

Old 01-03-2009, 05:37 AM
thanks guys for the replies. I guess i'll get some coilovers instead of an exhaust. I just didn't like the look of the stock one (looks like burnt metal) and I wanted a bit more noise, sort of like the 350z engine note haha. But I can't really stand the really loud ones, maybe I'll check out the HFP one. Do you guys know of any exhausts that aren't too loud?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by couragethedog
thanks guys for the replies. I guess i'll get some coilovers instead of an exhaust. I just didn't like the look of the stock one (looks like burnt metal) and I wanted a bit more noise, sort of like the 350z engine note haha. But I can't really stand the really loud ones, maybe I'll check out the HFP one. Do you guys know of any exhausts that aren't too loud?
It sounds for your purposes that exhaust would be a waste. Certainly you're not getting any power from it on this car.

I also didn't like the stock muffler - econobox pansy type of stuff. I really like stainless mufflers though many around here now consider them "fartcans" and out of fashion so to speak. Nonetheless I mod my car for me and I like stainless but I also didn't want anything loud or ricey sounding. You mentioned the HKS and Spoon both of which are going to be pretty loud. I went with the aspec axel back and love the look and the sound - pretty quiet but enough to sound decent.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Don't throw your money away. Unless you are using forced induction, an exhaust system is going to be more of a nuisance than anything.

I plan on reinstalling my factory muffler until I get the turbo kit. Why? Because I'm tired of the noise.

If you want noticeable improvements, here is what will make the car very fun to drive:

Lightweight wheels with good tires

Rear sway bar

Adjustable shocks (I would retain the factory springs IMHO) Your suspension needs room to travel for a reason, especially on public roads.

MFactory just released an LSD that is doing well from what I have heard.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
If you're afraid of it being too loud, i'd recommend an intake. It's loud only when you're heavy on the gas pedal, during light acceleration it sounds pretty much stock

Old 01-03-2009, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
First, what route do you want to go? Axle-back (muffler only)? Cat-back? Header-back? Full exhaust?

An axle-back setup, usually, will neither make or lose power. You're just replacing the muffler and all the muffler does is quiet the noise.

For reference: Exhaust Basics - Team Integra

And a freer flowing exhaust system won't lose torque, provided that the exhaust diameter is an appropriate size for the engine and application (i.e. turbo engines usually need bigger diameters, 3" being pretty common.)

Last edited by cojaro; 01-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Sorry, I don't really know what an axel-back, cat-back, etc is haha. I'm not too familiar with these terms. Anyways, I guess I'll hold off on getting an exhaust until later, when I plan on going FI. I only have about 750 miles so far, so it'll be a while. Maybe get an intake..
Nabisco: I had a few questions about your suggestions. Is a rear sway bar one of those big bars you put in the back? I saw a car with it, and it didn't seem practical (for putting stuff in the trunk). And when you say adjustable shocks, are you talking about say coilovers? haha im sorry but these words are so darn confusing! Speaking of confusing words, what does a LSD do? From what I think, it gives you more torque? Oh yeah and what are some good wheels? And which one of these mods would you suggest I get first? I'm a poor college student, so not exactly the best budget haha. I would like to go to an autocross event. Thanks! and sorry for asking so many questions!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by couragethedog
I see, thanks for the clarification. How come people still get aftermarket exhausts then? I always figured that more air flow would be a good thing haha.
people get exhaust because they want the angry beehive sound

Quick Reply: should I swap out my stock exhaust?