Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Ingalls "STIFFY" engine torque damper

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 AM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
Ingalls "STIFFY" engine torque damper

Soooo .. tonight i finally got my "td" on ... with the assistance of "IamRay" and "nxtfit08" ... installation was a pain during the "planning" process luis dropped a spacer and a bolt into the engine bay which took a while to find it... ray was the designated instruction reader and luis was the handy man .. so i pretty much spectated and the did then did the adjustments to the "td" lol... first drive couldnt notice any difference in factory setting.. i then adjusted it so im guessing im around 13mm which is between track and daily ...

rolling in first if i stomp the gas i now break loose with no hop...

downshifting yields better response ...

when i pulse the gas my engine does have a seizure anymore...

i def feel like im gripping the road alot better...

u can hear a little noise when coming off the clutch (doing its job)

it feels more like an s2000 when coming out of first...

and im overall satisfied with the results i'll post pics tomorrow when its light out ..

and i'll launch it tomorrow to see what happens

not to shabby for a 1.5l and a $145 td

Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
hmmm.... i was always skeptical of these. i wonder how much of a differance there is between ingalls, spoon, and j's racing td?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 AM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
i looked at all of them and i like the way the ingalls mounts up ... not trying to take away from spoon or j's but i rather have my brackets mount up the actual motor and and motor mount instead of the strut tower and then the engine..

Old 11-22-2008, 12:47 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
there are pros and cons with engine torque dampers. the pros (as bistro has already stated) better grip to the road, less jerkyness etc etc. but the bad thing about having one is that you will wear out your engine mounts quicker. they look cool and they do the job but for all out performance and durability, id recommend stiffer engine mounts.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:49 AM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
there are pros and cons with engine torque dampers. the pros (as bistro has already stated) better grip to the road, less jerkyness etc etc. but the bad thing about having one is that you will wear out your engine mounts quicker. they look cool and they do the job but for all out performance and durability, id recommend stiffer engine mounts.

yea i kept all the oem bolts so when they go ill slap em back on and warrenty them suckas

Old 11-22-2008, 01:06 AM
^^^ they will fail with 36,002 miles on them. Haha

I had an ingalls damper on the civic. Before installation I had the motor mount inserts for about a year, which worked well, but they transmitted enough vibration to make the rear view mirror useless. Somehow the damper reduced that and made the mirror clear at all rpm except 1800. It also seemed to reduce "bucking" in 2nd gear when putting around the Walmart parking lot, and make a slightly cleaner shift into 3rd.

Difference in performance over the mounts was small, but it was an excellent companion to them by making the mounts more daily driveable and less annoying from vibration.

Guess I should mention it was about the same time I installed it that the screws stopped falling out of the center dash.