Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

DC header Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
DC header Installed!

I just got done installing the DC Ceramic coated header, took about two hours start to finish. Would have been less eccept I had to stop and feed my daughter supper. A monkey could install a header on this car, it is that easy to do. As long as you have a few basic tools you can do it, trust me. I have only taken the car for a five minute shake-down thus far so I'll wait until I get home tomorrow to give my impressions. Right off the bat though the engine feels a little more "flexible" like it has a few more horsepower everywhere on the tach. From about 2500 up to 4500 in particular, the car feels a little more eager to pull in a higher gear, for example cruising at about 40mph in fourth, you can stomp it and actually get something besides engine noise. As for noise, I haven't noticed a single decible of increase with the header on ( I have a stock b-pipe, catalyst, and Tanabe Touring Medallion AB) The exhaust note does sound deeper, more full, with less reedyness at full throttle though. We'll see how she does in rush hour traffic tomorrow, but so far I couldn't be happier

Old 11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
yeaaaa thanks for rubbing it in!

enjoy !

Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Oops and I said I wouldn't didn't I? Anyways, after driving it to and from work today heres my review. There isn't a large power increase to be had from this header alone, I'm glad I already had a CAI and an axle-back before getting the header. There IS more power however, I notice it the most in the things the car can do now that it couldn't before. For example, I can now accelerate from 50-70 in fifth gear and actually PASS someone on a two lane road, versus needing a two-gear downshift before. The car is much happier climbing the mountain in top gear at 60 mph also. I was wrong about the exhaust not being louder, it is, just not in a bad way. I think I actually heard the Tanabe for the first time this morning when I pulled out onto the highway! Me likey very much. Now I need a Blitz TC of course.....

Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 PM
nice! Sounds worth it. Now I must decide...DC or Weapon R grrr

Old 11-21-2008, 04:48 PM
I should add that I ported the header last night before installing it. I not sure it made any difference at all, but i figured f-it I have the time and the grinding stones so why not. I ended up using my air powered die grinder after starting out with the Dremel. You could do it with a Dremel, it would just take about six weeks....

Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
thats for the review!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats man.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Took the Fit to the eastern shore (of MD) to visit my folks for Thanksgiving. On longer highway speed trips the DC header really comes into its own. Passing power is noticeable better in top gear, and accelerating BACK to highway speed from 40 or so is quite a bit easier. Best of all, the Fit seems better able to keep itself at 75 through the ups and downs of interstate 70 between Hagerstown and Baltimore. This is fully loaded with me, wife, daughter, a range bag with about three hundred rounds of ammo, and all our assorted crap. Got 38 MPG going out and 40 coming back (had to take it easy on the return trip, cops EVERYWHERE)

Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Nice!

I really like your setup. I'm seriously considering doing the same to my fit. Could you elaborate on the sound of the car at different times - cruising at 35mph, 60mph, and 80mph? Also at WOT? Also, where did you purchase the Tanabe exhaust and the DC header?

Thanks,

Cpirnie

Old 12-13-2008, 12:47 PM
At lower speeds you can tell the difference in volume more than at highway speed. At 70 to 80 there really isn't much to hear unless you add throttle. I personally hear the A spec CAI more at WOT. At around town speeds the combo of the Tanabe and the header gives the Fit a nice deep grumble that is missing in the stock car, especially when you downshift to slow down for a light or traffic. I found the Fit sounded rather "industrial" when it was stock, kinda like a large vacuum cleaner. What I like best about the sound is that it never sounds "ricey" no matter what speed you drive, it never draws attention to itself, which is exactly what i was after. I mod on a rather thin budget, so I bought everything except the A-spec from members here in the classifiied section. Theses guys shed car-parts like Elizabeth Taylor shed husbands so its a good way to get stuff for cheap. Hope that helps!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help oh Great Pumpkin! That sounds sweet. You're right on about the stock fit sounding like a huge vacuum cleaner! LOL.

I'm seriously considering the tanabe exhaust. Now to troll the classified section for parts...

Thanks again!