Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Next Level Performance...Tri-Phase Module

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
it's just a toggle switch with some resistors and nothing more. been proven many times. woo hoo for mental horsepower.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah after a quick google search the only info I could find on this thing (besides adverts for it) was forum reviews. The two positions of the toggle switch are just two resistance circuits. All this does is basically REMOVE one of the IMPORTANT corrections your ECU makes to determine the CORRECT timing and fuel delivery.

Basically, no matter what you think it did, it made your car run worse.

Sorry guys, I think you got taken....

Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
The thing that makes me scratch my head is that they never state exactly what it DOES on the website... and what do the switches do? And where are the dyno test sheets to prove these gains? So it alters signals (appears only to be wired into the IAT sensor, which has little effect on fuel and timing), and so it's "tri-phasic" or whatever. It claims 17HP, and increased fuel economy. If this were the case, why wouldn't Honda (or any other manufacturer) have done this from the start?

I'm really trying to be optimistic here, but it's starting to smell funny.

Nothing that alters only the IAT signal can add 17 Hp. The IAT sensor is part of the density adjustments (hence the speed-density fueling computer our cars use -- speed is calculated from TPS and RPM, density from pressure and temperature). Altering the inputs to your computer can be useful, but I don't see 17hp on a stock motor. The IAT sensor also has nothing at all to do with the AT shifts.

I really want this to be true, but I don't see it. Anyone have any more info on this? Maybe take one apart to see what it's made of?
from what I understood from the website's information was it makes the AIR/FUEL ratio be more closer to 13.0 (the 'safe zone' A/F ratio is between 13-15; don't quote me on that I just remember 13 as the low end for sure). And they say that if its closer to the lower end then you should theoretically gain some extra power. The unit does attach to the Air Intake Temperature sensor, and there was an explanation for that on the website too.

The switches have I,II,II for tri-phase. I think it is different modes (similar to Blitz Throttle controller). I am assuming in mode III, you will be real close to the 13.0 AF ratio, and when you are in mode I, you are a little further away from 13 but still lower than the AF ratio with stock settings.

As for 17hp gain.. I think the gain depends on the car. I'm pretty sure when they mentioned 17hp gain, they did it with a high end car. So if someone did dyno for the Fit we could put it in better perspective.

You are right it it doesn't directly have anything to do with AT shifts, but apparently the way the unit modifies the signals produced, it changes the CPU gear shift timing.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Well the car already runs in the mid to low 13 AFRs at full throttle, just like any N/A production car in the world. Plus, getting anything close to an accurate AFR requires WAY more than random inputs to the IAT sensor.

If you tell the computer that your intake temp is 25F, and it's actually 50F, and somehow you get the right AFR, what happens when it's 75F? You run rich. Way rich. What happens when it's -10F? You run way lean.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
Yeah after a quick google search the only info I could find on this thing (besides adverts for it) was forum reviews. The two positions of the toggle switch are just two resistance circuits. All this does is basically REMOVE one of the IMPORTANT corrections your ECU makes to determine the CORRECT timing and fuel delivery.

Basically, no matter what you think it did, it made your car run worse.

Sorry guys, I think you got taken....
lol if this is true, then this must be the mechanism I didn't quite explain/understand

Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Also, when you are at less than full throttle, your car is in closed loop. The fit ECU is extremely good at correcting fuel values. No matter what I do to my E-manage, it will always correct to 14.7 within a few seconds. I can only change anything in full throttle or in boost. Nothing more.*

*Until I get the F-manage, which allows you to trick your ECU into auto-correcting for whatever AFR you want!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
yeah i don't ever think i'd waste my money on something like this

Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
this is so freaking lame...I can't believe people fall for it....

Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
If you are in Texas, and get smoked by an old man in a silver Fit Sport, you will understand. There are now two people here that have installed one of these things, and can confirm that their cars have more power in the low to mid range, and all of the naysayers are people that have not purchased or installed one. It reminds me of people that say they hate Chinese food that have never eaten at a Chinese restaurant. You are obviously basing your opinions on here say, and not personal experience, and causing yourself, and others from benefiting from a positive improvement in performance, and driving pleasure.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
chinese food is a preference. Even if you don't like it, you can't deny that it's food and will make you full as such. What I'm saying is this product has all the signs of a scam. The website never explains the workings of the device, and the only "proof" of its effects are hand drawn "dyno" sheets collected from kindergarden class.

The placebo effect is strong with this one.. Also, if you think you're gonna "smoke" me with a resistor accross your IAT sensor, then you should check my sig again. If you still believe it, I've got a bridge to sell you LOL!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
it is a few resistors in a box. tricks the engine into running at cold air/cold startup parameters 100% of the time, the power difference you feel is similar to when you JUST start your car and hit it (compared to warmed up for a while). eventually the computer will learn the 'broken' IAT and you'll just be running rich all the time.

i fell for it in the late 90's. this isn't me being a jerk or saying you don't 'feel' any power or change, this is personal experience, and i admit i got scammed. you probably do feel a diference... but the car's computer will adapt for the faulty intake temp and you will eventually lose power and may even foul your plugs sooner than usual.

it sucks to think that you spent a lot of money on something that has been proven to be a scam; i suggest just trying to get your money back.

oh and those dyno charts are absolutely hilarious. some of the differences on the lines are like 30hp.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you are in Texas, and get smoked by an old man in a silver Fit Sport, you will understand. There are now two people here that have installed one of these things, and can confirm that their cars have more power in the low to mid range, and all of the naysayers are people that have not purchased or installed one. It reminds me of people that say they hate Chinese food that have never eaten at a Chinese restaurant. You are obviously basing your opinions on here say, and not personal experience, and causing yourself, and others from benefiting from a positive improvement in performance, and driving pleasure.
I am reminded that...

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

It doesn't affect us, Texas Coyote.

Later,
The Loxmyth

Old 11-17-2008, 04:00 PM
here ya go:

IAT Timing Tricker

99 cents at radio shack.

if anyone wants to try it, it will increase the fuel side of the air/fuel ratio, and might help if you run a lot of NA mods like intake and manifold. down side is, it will eventually do nothing as your computer compensates, and the extra fuel will make your plugs, sensors and cat go bad sooner.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
I am happy for you that you can boast of having "the most modified Fit in Michigan" but bragging rights aren't important to me. How much did you have to pay for in dollars for each horse power and your right to boast? My car is a econobox that is considerably faster than it was in the bone stock mode, and I have spent a little over $500 on it. Why don't you let me sell you a bridge?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by CTmatt
here ya go:

IAT Timing Tricker

99 cents at radio shack.

if anyone wants to try it, it will increase the fuel side of the air/fuel ratio, and might help if you run a lot of NA mods like intake and manifold. down side is, it will eventually do nothing as your computer compensates, and the extra fuel will make your plugs, sensors and cat go bad sooner.
Yup these things are bad for your car in the long run.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
17000+ miles, plugs look good, and still runs as strong as when I first installed it 26 months ago. If things change and I have problems, I'll let you know.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 PM
It makes your car run very rich. You're telling me that is not a problem?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Yep, those things are!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
It makes your car run very rich. You're telling me that is not a problem?
It is a lean burn engine, it makes the engine run richer than stock, not very rich at all really.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i'm just here to get in on the rofling because there's been a lot of it, and this is very rofl worthy.

Quick Reply: Next Level Performance...Tri-Phase Module