Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

What happens to engine without TB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
What happens to engine without TB?

What will happen if the TB is not on the car, and the car's ignition kicks in?

will it redline? will it choke? will it shut off cause it went beyond the WOT?

I'm thinking of doing it on the fit to try different TB's since people are talking about just finding a TB with the same connector... but checking what it does would be nice.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:06 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i think the a/f would be too lean for the car too start. changing tb is a great mod if you can find the right one with dbw.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Saw a Toyota TB that had the same connector, but I don't know what model car it came off of, but it looks a tad bit bigger than the Fit one... but I think i'm just nuts.

I'll be going to the junk yard on Monday after work, I'll be in fremont, and I might as well stop by Hayward on the way back and check it out.

EDIT: The person showing it to me said it was from a TOyota, not sure what he may be thinking... someone must have labeled it wrong.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
Saw a Toyota TB that had the same connector, but I don't know what model car it came off of, but it looks a tad bit bigger than the Fit one... but I think i'm just nuts.

I'll be going to the junk yard on Monday after work, I'll be in fremont, and I might as well stop by Hayward on the way back and check it out.
bring a camera and take some pictures. i can fab up a spacer for the new tb bolt pattern so im not worried about that. it would help to know what engine the tb comes off too. thanks. hopefully there is something that will bolt onto the fit to make more power besides FI.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
bring a camera and take some pictures. i can fab up a spacer for the new tb bolt pattern so im not worried about that. it would help to know what engine the tb comes off too. thanks. hopefully there is something that will bolt onto the fit to make more power besides FI.

I just want to know how the DBW system works, and how it can be manipulated.

I want to try it for the B series engine conversion, but I don't want to build an engine at the moment, when I have no way to store and work on an engine.

I would love to see DBW kits for cars in general, the twitch effect is all in the ECU (look at how much lag you get from hitting a key on a keyboard.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:26 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I just want to know how the DBW system works, and how it can be manipulated.

I want to try it for the B series engine conversion, but I don't want to build an engine at the moment, when I have no way to store and work on an engine.

I would love to see DBW kits for cars in general, the twitch effect is all in the ECU (look at how much lag you get from hitting a key on a keyboard.
you would need a dbw ecu to do a conversion. blitz makes a throttle controller that jumps the gun and changes the signal sent to the ecu so it opens the tb quicker with less pressure put on the go fast pedal.
i really think a bigger tb is the only way to really speed up throttle response.
Feels built a s2000 track car that is running the infinity suv tb that is 80mm. im thinking the fit would do just fine with a tb about 55 to 65mm. any larger would just be a waste because of intake manifold size.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
you would need a dbw ecu to do a conversion. blitz makes a throttle controller that jumps the gun and changes the signal sent to the ecu so it opens the tb quicker with less pressure put on the go fast pedal.
i really think a bigger tb is the only way to really speed up throttle response.
Feels built a s2000 track car that is running the infinity suv tb that is 80mm. im thinking the fit would do just fine with a tb about 55 to 65mm. any larger would just be a waste because of intake manifold size.

Was thinking of using a custom Serial driver from my laptop to convert the signal to a reading to send to the TB, but hell, I'm still working on the AutoEnginuity ECU controller at the moment.

Still debating. But first things first, find one compatible with the Fit, so i have a base to work off of.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:45 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Was thinking of using a custom Serial driver from my laptop to convert the signal to a reading to send to the TB, but hell, I'm still working on the AutoEnginuity ECU controller at the moment.

Still debating. But first things first, find one compatible with the Fit, so i have a base to work off of.
we need to know what signals are sent through each pin on the stock fit's tb first to know whose tb will be compatable. glad im not the only one researching this. i need an electrical engineering degree to figure this out.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
we need to know what signals are sent through each pin on the stock fit's tb first to know whose tb will be compatable. glad im not the only one researching this. i need an electrical engineering degree to figure this out.
Trial and error works too...

HID programming for the AutoEnginuity's OBD2 controller is quite interesting, learning how to control HID applications via C#...

meh, a power meter helps too, it could just be checking the voltage across the bands to turn the butterfly, sort of like a servo...

Old 10-18-2008, 04:23 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Trial and error works too...

HID programming for the AutoEnginuity's OBD2 controller is quite interesting, learning how to control HID applications via C#...

meh, a power meter helps too, it could just be checking the voltage across the bands to turn the butterfly, sort of like a servo...
i hope you know what your doing cause when things get electrical i get lost. wish you were in the wa community so you could show me how to figure this crap out. let me know what you find out and what tb could work and i will figure out a way to mount it.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
i hope you know what your doing cause when things get electrical i get lost. wish you were in the wa community so you could show me how to figure this crap out. let me know what you find out and what tb could work and i will figure out a way to mount it.

I just do trial and error, I just make sure I know what the consequences of failures are. I don't want to kill myself, if you know what happens when something goes wrong, and it's not hazardous to health, it's worth trying it out.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:26 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I just do trial and error, I just make sure I know what the consequences of failures are. I don't want to kill myself, if you know what happens when something goes wrong, and it's not hazardous to health, it's worth trying it out.
true. i have not done any t&e tests but i have scanned alot of pcs to see what looks similar and i think the s2000 tb is closest. i think a honda dbw tb will do the trick but i just have to find which one.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
why don't you just take yours to a machine shop and have it bored out?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:23 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dank24
cause the fit tb is very sensitive to any type of porting.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I would suggest learning about how modern EFI works, before you start tearing apart your engine just to see if you can gain a single HP. If you don't know how the TB works, you should not be ripping it apart.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by dank24
So if you bore it out, what do you do about the butterflies being too small with the material from the TB being removed?

Old 10-19-2008, 03:11 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
it really makes no differance how much you bore it out because your intake system will only flow as much air as the smallest passage way allow. so you could bore out the whole intake manifold to say 55mm but it wont flow any more air if its sucking all that air through a 45mm thottle body butterfly. thats the best i can describe it.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Read up on it, but not sure what else to read up on.

all depends on the map installed depending on air fuel ratio.

At this point, I just want faster easier reaction, but without the blitz module. I would rather have my TB just be properly setup to where my foot should be.

foot all the way down, the TB should be at WOT.

Originally Posted by jvm051
I would suggest learning about how modern EFI works, before you start tearing apart your engine just to see if you can gain a single HP. If you don't know how the TB works, you should not be ripping it apart.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
hmmm... im not to sure what electronic fuel injection has to do with the throttle body. throttle body lets air in and not fuel. sure they work off each other to know how much air or fuel to put in the motor but we are concerned with letting more air in at quicker rates.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Read up on it, but not sure what else to read up on.

all depends on the map installed depending on air fuel ratio.

At this point, I just want faster easier reaction, but without the blitz module. I would rather have my TB just be properly setup to where my foot should be.

foot all the way down, the TB should be at WOT.
This is why I said to read up, with a DBW system, a different TB will not make a difference if it is not all the way open at WOT. The computer needs to be reprogrammed in order to have the butterflies all the way open. Also the throttle lag, and hanging revs while shifting need to be changed at the ecu as well. Since nobody is currently offering computer reflashing, the only option you have is the Blitz module. Even if you find another Throttle body that matches up, the computer is still opening and closing the TB. My previous car had DBW as well, and had throttle lag. Once I hade the computer reflashed, by a reputable Mustang tuner, the throttle lag was gone. With the same throttle body. Hardly anybody was offering aftermarket TB's for the 05+ Mustangs, because they did nothing, and some even lost HP. The factory piece was optimized for the car, and even up to around 500hp. I think the Fit TB is plenty big for your basic bolt on's and standard FI setups. Unfortunatly since we have moved on to a new generation of Fit and it was never designed as a performance car, I doubt anybody will spend any quality research time trying to tune the Fit. Kinda like why you hardly ever see dyno charts on aftermarket parts for the Fit. And the few you do are always so minimal, they could be variances from run to run.

Quick Reply: What happens to engine without TB?