Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

64mm Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Thats DBW? I can see a throttle cable bracket....
What the OP keeps saying is that the BMW TB is bolt on and plugs right up, right?

I just dont see how or why we havent got a year, engine type, or anything to help find this TB.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
*shrugs* MDX is supposed to be DBW

Yeah this stinks, we need more info

Here is aftermarket Mini-Cooper TB. I think is 62mm? I give up.....

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-27-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
What about this stock plate, can it be opened up to take advantage of the larger inlet and stock TB size?
Yo sell me the plastic section of your stock manifold. I was thinking of using a dremmel to widen the plenum if we can ever get an exact model to cross ref. I also tried looking for that part # that was originally postd and got a bunch of hits from europe. nothing for sure though.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
you would think after almost ten pages of replies on this that someone would make a throttle body for the gd3. manufacturers are dumb!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
i saw on king motorsports that they do TB porting with DBW. includes a new butterfly. but it is pricey and would be nowhere near 64mm.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
wonder if you could have weapon r custom fab up a new intake manifold to fit the bmw 64mm tb?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
wonder if you could have weapon r custom fab up a new intake manifold to fit the bmw 64mm tb?

why? so it could fit like crap just like there headers?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Does anybody else find it weird that a totally unrelated TB off a European car made 8 years ago would have the same plugs and size as the Fit?

Not saying the OP is full of it, but maybe what we are looking at is another Honda TB?

JDMish is going to look at a TB for an 08 Odyssey tomorrow; is a 64mm DBW. Checking the bolt pattern & plugs as well as general dimensions to see if it would be similar.

Originally Posted by kylerwho
I will have a chance to measure and see just how big the inlet is for the manifold hopefully this weekend. I think there may be some room to bore it out as well; here is a pic showing what it looks like now.

Originally Posted by leonine
Yo sell me the plastic section of your stock manifold. I was thinking of using a dremmel to widen the plenum if we can ever get an exact model to cross ref. I also tried looking for that part # that was originally postd and got a bunch of hits from europe. nothing for sure though.
Sure, if we can ever find this TB send me a PM and we can discuss.

This is the stock manifold inlet;

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-27-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
One last photo I snapped a few minutes ago;

I measured the bolt spacing, is about 64mm Square... I also see no plate. Without having the stock one on hand at the moment, does the WR delete the plate that the OP was referring to then?

Also, see the tabs on the top, I don't see those on the OP's Fit TB either... this is starting to sound like a giant hoax to me. Can the OP please post pictures of this installed on his car, please & thanks.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-27-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member

I measured the bolt spacing, is about 64mm Square... I also see no plate. Without having the stock one on hand at the moment, does the WR delete the plate that the OP was referring to then?
looking at that intake it would appear that you could modify neck and put a differant flange on to bolt another tb onto. i wonder if all dbw send the same signals?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
That is another good point, how can you confirm compatibility for interface even if the plugs match.

This whole thing is looking like a bust

Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 AM
So to the original poster, let me understand this. You installed a bigger throttle body, then added a reducer so it would match up with the stock intake manifold correct. So what is the purpose of a bigger throttle body if you are necking it down? You need to port match the intake Manifold. And I would think that 64mm is wayyy too big for a 1.5L engine. The Blitz throttle controler makes more sense, even at $300 if it allows the butterfly to completly open at WOT.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jvm051
So to the original poster, let me understand this. You installed a bigger throttle body, then added a reducer so it would match up with the stock intake manifold correct. So what is the purpose of a bigger throttle body if you are necking it down? You need to port match the intake Manifold. And I would think that 64mm is wayyy too big for a 1.5L engine. The Blitz throttle controler makes more sense, even at $300 if it allows the butterfly to completly open at WOT.
The OP was also saying the manifold inlet diameter was 51mm, so you could take advantage of that by using a larger TB.

Otherwise yes, the blitz throttle controller would basically do the same thing.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
The OP was also saying the manifold inlet diameter was 51mm, so you could take advantage of that by using a larger TB.

Otherwise yes, the blitz throttle controller would basically do the same thing.
the idea sounds good on paper but it seems like you are just bottlenecking all the potential air that could be pushed in. Even if someone could fab up an intake manifold to match the tb you are still stuck with the small intake ports on the head. There seems like there is no winning with the L15. Hope the head is a little more breathable and able to port and polish on the 09 so we can pull a switch-a-roo.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 AM
I'd hate to burst your bubble, but the 09's mostly have the same head except for different valvetrain. They wouldnt modify where the ports were which limit the heads ability to be ported. The idea of using a bit larger thottle body does seem like a great idea though. I was thinking it over and one could believe that the ideal throttle body size would be like 60 mm with the most being 62. 64 is way to big and your probably beginning to slow down the velocity. a 60 mm tb would have a plate size of 52 to 53 mm and would be ablolutely a great combination. A hondata style gasket could easily be fabricated up from plastic found at a hardware store and even 53 mm to the 51 mm opening on the intake manifold in 2 mm plastic would not create too much turbulence. Plus the added isolation of heat from the tb to the intake manifold. This excites me even when I dont have my 09 yet. I will be more than willing to start experimenting.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member

Also, see the tabs on the top, I don't see those on the OP's Fit TB either... this is starting to sound like a giant hoax to me. Can the OP please post pictures of this installed on his car, please & thanks.

Here's my picture again!!!!
I didn't think it was so difficult let you to understand...

1. I don't know the exact car year and engine type because I bought TB in a junkyard, as I wrote...
2. I'd like that all of you understood that there isn't only this TB that can be fitted instead of stock...
3. If someone thinks that 64mm is great on 1.5 engine, well I run it on a 1.3 engine!!
4. Fit intake manifold seems to be a bit different from mine and TB too...
Before changing your TB body with another you have to check if it's Bosch, Delphi or other
Anyway the most important thing is it's voltage: TB goes from 5v (closed) to 0v (fully opened). If you measure this values with a multimeter you'll realize that TB controller is a hoax!!!
5. Regarding matching intake manifold with TB it isn't said that it's the right thing because you have also to consider Venturi effect. My guess is to change only TB and don't touch anything else.

Maybe most of you are skeptical about this mod because haven't ever changed a TB before and aren't familiar with electronics, but once you'll put a larger TB on you won't take it out anymore!!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
maxbore.com will bore out your oem DBW tb for about $120. of course it won't be anything close to 64 mm.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
Alf, could you show me a breakdown of these parts? Not to devolve the thread from everything already discussed, but I'm just curious to see the lay of the land step-by-step. Being a civil engineering major, we types love layouts and diagrams and such.

Things I'm most interested in are:
Air intake diameter
TB diameter (on the intake/filter end and the manifold end)
Spacer/reducer that you use (and diameters)
Intake manifold (if different from stock, or perhaps difference between 1.5 and 1.3).

(diameters being internal, by the way).

Sounds interesting and not too difficult. Plus, imagine what the KWSC might gain from a larger TB

Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kmdebit

Things I'm most interested in are:
Air intake diameter
TB diameter (on the intake/filter end and the manifold end)
Spacer/reducer that you use (and diameters)
Intake manifold (if different from stock, or perhaps difference between 1.5 and 1.3).

(diameters being internal, by the way).

Sounds interesting and not too difficult. Plus, imagine what the KWSC might gain from a larger TB
I posted all photos I have... I summarize:

- TB diameter: on the intake/filter end is about 67mm. Inside (as shown) is 64mm. Air filter pipes are 64mm
- At the beginning I used spacer TB, then I built a conical reducer (it's 1 cm thick) inside the TB from 61mm to 51mm (the inlet diameter of intake manifold)
- Fit Intake manifold seems to have the same diameter of mine, but different gasket. My Jazz has a ring gasket.
Then it's different the way you fix the TB to the intake manifold, but this doesn't matter.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
im sure most of these people want a write up that better explains everything.

most people work off pictures and explanations rather than you explaining what you did with no pictures.

if this is easy for you, than you should do a write up and step by step process.

Quick Reply: 64mm Throttle Body