Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

64mm Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
Im sure he was. Bases are slow. :-/
Yeah almost positive it was a base, it sure sounded like he was redlining the hell out of it. Poor guy He got burned by an econobox. lol

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-26-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
if the plenum is ultimately 47mm all you will get is slightly quicker response and you'll have to use less pedal input for for the same airflow.
Right, let me pull out my manifold from storage and take measurement to verify... back in a flash

EDIT: Sorry, I went down looking for it and just realized it is in my offsite storage

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-26-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I am pretty sure the Fit uses a combination of the MAF and the 02 to do fuel adjustments. I have a feeling you would end up running way too lean, for the same reason I was running lean when I installed my intake manifold. you should run a check on your AF to see what it turns up.

BTW I can assure you the WR intake manifold is worth it I recently out-pulled an RSX with no problem with an extra 200lbs of gear on the back of the car (in a safe controlled environment in case anybody... especially mods were wondering)

I will measure the inlet diameter of the WR intake this weekend, also have an opportunity to measure the stock manifold tonight to verify the claim it is a 54mm opening.
I've never seen a MAF in pictures of your Fit!!! Nowadayd every car then uses lambda sensor to do fuel adjustment (short and long fuel trim, to be precise). I think you are a bit confused about maf and map. If this is your car I can't see a maf installed!??! Map is the sensor right after TB (feels the absolute pressure of intake manifold...)

My car doesn't run lean cause I have a fuel pressure regulator to 3,8 bar!
Anyway I think you have to consider fuel adjustment when you modify your car...
My impression is that you haven't ever tryed a bigger TB. I assure you go faster with stock intake manifold and 64mm TB than with WR intake manifold and stock TB....
I don't know the stock intake manifold inlet diameter, because I haven't measured it. My engine is 1.3, while Fit is 1.5; so maybe yours is larger.
But one thing is certain: its diameter can't be bigger than your TB diameter. Otherwise you should use an adaptor....

PS: I don't sell TB, so I'm only reporting my experience. Then if other people prefer spending 500$ instead of 75$, I don't care: everyone is free to choose!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
Qoute" PS: I don't sell TB, so I'm only reporting my experience. Then if other people prefer spending 500$ instead of 75$, I don't care: everyone is free to choose!!! "

wow! wats up his butt?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alf74
I've never seen a MAF in pictures of your Fit!!! Nowadayd every car then uses lambda sensor to do fuel adjustment (short and long fuel trim, to be precise). I think you are a bit confused about maf and map. If this is your car I can't see a maf installed!??! Map is the sensor right after TB (feels the absolute pressure of intake manifold...)

My car doesn't run lean cause I have a fuel pressure regulator to 3,8 bar!
Anyway I think you have to consider fuel adjustment when you modify your car...
My impression is that you haven't ever tryed a bigger TB. I assure you go faster with stock intake manifold and 64mm TB than with WR intake manifold and stock TB....
I don't know the stock intake manifold inlet diameter, because I haven't measured it. My engine is 1.3, while Fit is 1.5; so maybe yours is larger.
But one thing is certain: its diameter can't be bigger than your TB diameter. Otherwise you should use an adaptor....

PS: I don't sell TB, so I'm only reporting my experience. Then if other people prefer spending 500$ instead of 75$, I don't care: everyone is free to choose!!!

Ok, but doesn't make sense that it would affect anything other than throttle responce unless you somehow upgrade the manifold It would feel faster off the line, but ultimatly your HP would be unaffected. I would put the WR Manifold up against a throttle body upgrade anyday.

Maybe I am screwing up terms, but I thought he MAF is located in front of the TB on the air intake. You can see it sticking out of the Fujita intake close to the battery. I am under the impression that once air enters the manifold the pressure is not measured by the ECU.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-27-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
To be precise:

Intake manifold inlet diameter is 51mm
TB stock plate is 45mm
TB stock diameter is 53mm
Interior diameter of my new TB (64mm) should be about 61mm (the side in contact with intake manifold)

I wish it's more clear now...

Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Stock plate is smaller? Interesting, that alone could be a nice area to upgrade.

I am tearing apart my car maybe maybe this weekend, I will have a first hand look at this animal and take lots of pictures.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, but doesn't make sense that it would affect anything other than throttle responce unless you somehow upgrade the manifold It would feel faster off the line, but ultimatly your HP would be unaffected. I would put the WR Manifold up against a throttle body upgrade anyday.

Maybe I am screwing up terms, but I thought he MAF is located in front of the TB on the air intake. You can see it sticking out of the Fujita intake close to the battery. I am under the impression that once air enters the manifold the pressure is not measured by the ECU.
I don't really understand what you're saying. The thing that sticks out the Fujita intake, close to the battery, is air temperature......
It's really a basic concept, but you should try this TB to realize that not only throttle response but also Hp will change..
Then you should even know that if you increase lenght or diameter of your intake manifold you'll affect respectively low or high rpm (this is the case of WR intake manifold!)
I don't want to be polemic.....

Old 08-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned

Nick- You don't have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. You and the rest of us with USDM Fits have MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensors.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Nick- You don't have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. You and the rest of us with USDM Fits have MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensors.
Right, ok not a MAF offically; but the IAT determines the mass based on temps and throttle position does it not?

I guess what I am asking is if the ECU uses the throttle position in any way to determine fuel delivery.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-27-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by alf74
To be precise:

Intake manifold inlet diameter is 51mm
TB stock plate is 45mm
TB stock diameter is 53mm
Interior diameter of my new TB (64mm) should be about 61mm (the side in contact with intake manifold)

I wish it's more clear now...

With those numbers, if the head can flow accordingly it sould be good about a 4-5% increase in powerprovided the inlet flange in the plenum does not cause too much turbulance. ifit can be opened up to matc the new TB then it should provide noticable gains up to th flow limits of the head. So this would reduce all intake bottlenecks up to the one "absolute limiting factor" of port size/head flow. if it does work this could be a VERY significant bang for the buck modification.

It would increase throttle response, reduce pretty much all intake airflow restriction. with the downside of making it slightly harder to maintain speed since the car would be more sensitive to any pedal input.

Last edited by Injundon; 08-27-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
With those numbers, if the head can flow accordingly it sould be good about a 4-5% increase in powerprovided the inlet flange in the plenum does not cause too much turbulance. ifit can be opened up to matc the new TB then it should provide noticable gains up to th flow limits of the head.
What about this stock plate, can it be opened up to take advantage of the larger inlet and stock TB size?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
edited post above to clarify that

Old 08-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by jits14
Based on some research on ebaymotors, it isn't this part model and corresponding bmw fitments. If you notice, the front looks a little different and the plug is different.

BMW 330i 01 - 05
BMW 330i 06 - 06 Cpe and Conv
BMW 530i 01 - 05
BMW X3 04 - 06 3.0L
BMW X5 01 - 01 3.0L
BMW X5 02 - 03 3.0L
BMW X5 04 - 06 3.0L
BMW Z3 01 - 02 3.0L
BMW Z4 03 - 05 3.0L

Our Part # : 337-60815-K70710
Our Inventory Notes : 3.0L,AT,RW

the ebay picture could be wrong though...

It seems like its only the 2.5l one if someone can find a picture of it, but it might be a european version. I searched the bosch number the OP posted and it pulls up all european models like the alfa 156 and some audi models but its all in foreign languages.

As per 2 sites I looked, the 3.0L Z3 motors part number is;

The 2.5L
Is the same number but ends with a 4.

They both look pretty similar.

Im still waiting on an exact car year and engine type.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 PM
I am all up for this if I could also get an exact year and model. All of this makes sense. big throttle body would no doubt add maybe a 5%increase of power or less.

I believe it is false to say "faster throttle response would not mean HP was added" especially on changing a part like the throttle body. Now if you changed and upgraded the intake manifold, throttle body, and have an intake. that would be a great investment.

bigger throttle body, upgraded intake manifold would go great with KW supercharger....making me drool...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
As per 2 sites I looked, the 3.0L Z3 motors part number is;

The 2.5L
Is the same number but ends with a 4.

They both look pretty similar.

Im still waiting on an exact car year and engine type.
What about the Audi's mentioned? If so, I would suspect VW would also carry some of these TB's then as well.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
tagged for interest....

Old 08-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Not sure? Id just like to get some actual info from the original TB posted in this thread.
I think if we got that small bit of info a cross reference could be done?

It seems like the OP ignores each question about the year and engine type though.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah I am getting nowhere with this;

The MDX has a 64mm DBW throttle body as well, any chance this would have similar plugs and bolt center diameter?

Pic of actual MDX TB

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-27-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Here is a side by side;

Quick Reply: 64mm Throttle Body