Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Stainless Exhaust Yellowing, Burnt.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Stainless Exhaust Yellowing, Burnt.

I have a HKS Hi Power, and its been on for about 2 years. And I know stainless (or chrome?) exhausts, headers etc, whatever, tends to get a yellow, bronze goldish color after it gets old, from heat or whatsorts, like how it looks like in the weldspots.

The entire thing looks like it has a shade of gold/bronze, or is it just me? Its nothing big, but i was wondering if i can polish it out with anything.

On my other cars, I have used Brasso, and it got rid of some on the tip, but i dont think thats the same since it was on my mini and the tip might have just been the rich mixture in the carbueator.

Last edited by Jazz GD3; 08-09-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: "or chrome?"
Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
The yellowing is just the heat changing the molecular structure of the stainless. I have used scotch bright to remove the colors from everything that i weld. But the stainless will just turn the same color after awhile so you will periodically need to pull off the exhaust and shine it up.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Go buy a polish that is strictly for stainless It will make it look like new for a few months then youll have to do it again... Every few months its just what stainless does..

Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
The yellowing is just the heat changing the molecular structure of the stainless. I have used scotch bright to remove the colors from everything that i weld. But the stainless will just turn the same color after awhile so you will periodically need to pull off the exhaust and shine it up.
I tried it today, scrubbed it like it was a sink with Scotch Bright, but it still seems gold. It did get a lot of water stains and such off though, looks shiny. but still gold. Probably polishing with hand isnt enough?

Originally Posted by Dghboy
Go buy a polish that is strictly for stainless It will make it look like new for a few months then youll have to do it again... Every few months its just what stainless does..
Stainless Polish? The only polish I got was Brasso. Know any stainless polishes that I can buy? and where?

Hmm, at least its gold, and not. green.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazz GD3
Hmm, at least its gold, and not. green.
you could fab a copper exhaust if you want the green color. the stainless polish doesnt really work in that situation. the color is coming from the heat. you can use a steel brush to get rid of the color but it scratches everything and you lose that polish look. tell people your exhaust is gold.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
you can try mother's metal polish. from my own experiences, it works very well. you can get it at pep boy's, walmart too if i remember correctly.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
you can try mother's metal polish. from my own experiences, it works very well. you can get it at pep boy's, walmart too if i remember correctly.
yeah i have a lot of mothers stuff. I tried the mothers metal polish for my other cars and its a good.

I guess ill just say Im CRAZY. I got myself a gold exhaust.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
My Aspec midpipe is doing that but I like the color.
Not a big deal since it's under the car and nobody see it.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
yeah my aspec is golding also, only on the tip tho. The canister is still chrome, but a dull chrome cuz of the dirt. What i use is Eagle1 nanopolish for metal. It's INSANELY good at bringing back the color/life outta my exhaust and any metal parts.