Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

AFE intake pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
AFE intake pics

Just put it in tonite. Only drove very little after so can't comment on how it performs yet. Things didnt line up perfect, but was able to push and pull to get it in. I also slit open some fuel line and put it over the end of the sheild right at the rad hose to avoid any issues there. I went with the dry flow filter. Its washable, but no messy oil to have to deal with.

Name:  IMG_0708.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  116.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0710.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0711.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  126.4 KB

Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Looks like a nice unit. Love the shielding to keep some heat away.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
noice! looks awesome! where'd you get that intake?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Got it from autoanything.com, hair over 150 shipped. Was best price I could find on it. I've used AFE intakes before and really like them. They seem to have the smartest setups in terms of the engine space that is available.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey Rod2Rice nice job on that install. I saw that same intake on anythingauto.com also and was interested in you opinion of it since you've had it for a while now. Any info would be appreciated. Any change the throttle response now compared to the factory setup? MPG improved? Any noticeable improvements that you would like to share? Anyone else have this setup? If so please share your experience with this setup also. Thanks.

Last edited by FitSportGirl; 06-17-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitSportGirl
Hey Rod2Rice nice job on that install. I saw that same intake on anythingauto.com also and was interested in you opinion of it since you've had it for a while now. Any info would be appreciated. Any change the throttle response now compared to the factory setup? MPG improved? Any noticeable improvements that you would like to share? Anyone else have this setup? If so please share your experience with this setup also. Thanks.
I have to say initial throttle response definitely seems improved, even moreso than when I had the K&N dropin in the stock airbox. I'll let you know mpg change if any after my next fill up, although I am not the best to go by for that, i usually drive pretty hard, but have been trying to be good to keep the mpgs up! I'll post back though on that.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
looks nice...kinda truck looking

Old 06-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
I have to say initial throttle response definitely seems improved, even moreso than when I had the K&N dropin in the stock airbox. I'll let you know mpg change if any after my next fill up, although I am not the best to go by for that, i usually drive pretty hard, but have been trying to be good to keep the mpgs up! I'll post back though on that.
Do you have any concerns about emissions issues with this air in take. I just need a little more power and am looking for the best way to get it with out messing up the integrity of the motor. I have not purchased the fit yet but will be in the next couple of weeks just need to make sure I can get out of the way if I need to! if you catch my drift. Thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned
I like the look and the materials used in this intake. One big question--- am I correct in thinking that you can't check coolant level in the overflow tank, or add coolant when low, or check AT trans fluid level with the dip stick, or add AT fluid when low, all because the intake heat shield is directly in the way?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
I like the look and the materials used in this intake. One big question--- am I correct in thinking that you can't check coolant level in the overflow tank, or add coolant when low, or check AT trans fluid level with the dip stick, or add AT fluid when low, all because the intake heat shield is directly in the way?
Hmm good question, I dont even know where to tranny dipstick is, or the coolant overflow. I'll have to take a look for those now. When this was going in it didnt seem to cover anything that the stock airbox didn't, as far as I know. I'll take a look under the hood and report back.

As far as emissions, I am not sure if this is CARB certified or now, I'll have to call AFE. They dont put the stickers in their box for some odd reason, you have to call to get one. Thats what I had to do when I had one of their intakes in my truck also.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned
Hmm good question, I dont even know where to tranny dipstick is, or the coolant overflow. I'll have to take a look for those now. When this was going in it didnt seem to cover anything that the stock airbox didn't, as far as I know. I'll take a look under the hood and report back.

As far as emissions, I am not sure if this is CARB certified or now, I'll have to call AFE. They dont put the stickers in their box for some odd reason, you have to call to get one. Thats what I had to do when I had one of their intakes in my truck also.
Thanks for checking Rod. In your photos, it appears that the front side of the heat shield attaches to, or rests against, the back side of the radiator support. The coolant tank is directly under the shield, and so is the trans. dip stick. With the stock air box in place, there is just enough room between the radiator support and the air box/intake tube to see and fill the coolant tank, and with difficulty, reach the trans. dip stick.

Re: CARB Exempt sticker-- if this intake is CARB exempt (extremely doubtful), it is the ONLY intake to have that status.

FitSportGirl- CARB rules only apply to smog inspection stations in California, so this intake would not be a problem for you in AZ under current smog laws. But who knows what the situation will be when your new car needs its first smog test?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Well got off the phone with AFE, they submitted for CARB status last year they said, but it takes 2 years to get it certified sometimes, so who knows. NY has pretty strict standards also, but I wont have to worry about emissions until May 2010 so I'd hope by then it is certified lol!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned
Well got off the phone with AFE, they submitted for CARB status last year they said, but it takes 2 years to get it certified sometimes, so who knows. NY has pretty strict standards also, but I wont have to worry about emissions until May 2010 so I'd hope by then it is certified lol!
Rod-
Thanks for the call to AFE and for reporting back. At least this company has filed for the exemption- Fujita has also filed. H-Fit is still thinking about it, and many other makers won't even bother.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Well you were right, the tranny dipstick is definitely not accesible. I am thinking maybe cutting off part of the corner of the shield under the filter to be able to squeeze an arm in there. The overflow tank is somewhat accesible, but cutting that corner off would make it even easier to get to.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned
That's pretty much what I thought from your good photos. My interest is high because of the poor or non-existent heat shields on all of the other SRI intakes, including the bad design of the K&N currently on my own AT Sport BOM.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:09 PM
So bottom line would you suggest this for a new fit owner? I need more horse power. Not a ton just enough to get out of the way if I need to. You guys are great thanks so much for the information.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FitSportGirl
So bottom line would you suggest this for a new fit owner? I need more horse power. Not a ton just enough to get out of the way if I need to. You guys are great thanks so much for the information.
If you send me a PM, I will reply with a truthful answer. Keep in mind that I do not own this intake system. I am an ex-auto mechanic, and have read most posts on intake systems that work on Honda Fits.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Banned
Rod2Rice-
Your AFE intake offers several design improvements over the other SRI systems. The heat shield is very well designed, and the filter is low enough so that water leaking in past the hood weather strip probably won't soak it. The unfortunate part of your system's design is the fact that you can't reach the trans. dip stick or add fluid. If you cut off the corner of the heat shield bottom panel, that should give you enough clearance to reach everything you need. Be sure to file the cut edge to blunt it so it won't slit your wrist when you reach past it for maintenance tasks.

I also suggest that you buy a sheet of 1/16" thick silicone rubber at your local ACE hardware store (plumbing dept.). If you rivet a piece of the silicone sheet to the bottom of the heat shield, it will replace the function of the metal piece that you cut off and will keep hot air from rising up into the filter. When you have to reach back for the dip stick, the rubber will just fold out of the way.

FitSportGirl- No after-market intake system is going to make much difference in the power of your Fit. None of them produce more than 5-7 hp, and most only do that at high rpm. Out of all brands of Short Ram Intakes, the AFE seems to be the lowest in price (aside from the really cheap eBay junk), and it has one more advantage. The intake tube appears to be made of plastic. That means that it won't absorb as much heat as the metal tubes used in the other brands. If you buy this one, you will have to cut part of the bottom of the heat shield away just like Rod.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for your honesty do you think that an intake, exhaust combo would work any better one over the other? Sorry for being a pain.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 PM
What do you know and is an intake system not the way to go

Quick Reply: AFE intake pics