Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

AFE intake pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I actually like this intake a lot. Im thinking about getting it since my Aspec intake is barely hanging on... literally. (brackets are broken)

Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
It is true, no intake system or exhaust system alone is going to make any drastic change. Once you start adding a few things together you may start to feel something. You also have to remember this is an economy car, it wasnt meant to go fast or be powerful. All the bolt ons in the world for this car arent going to make it very fast at all. That being said, I got this intake system because of the facts mentioned here, plastic tube, heat shield, and this one uses a non oiling filter, so dont have to worry of the remote chance of anything getting gunked up from it (sensors or whatever).

I am going to look into doing something with this shield to improve access. I am going to also call AFE again next week to point these things out, see if they have any imput on it. The shield does also come in contact with the radiator hose, another thing that could be fixed when I take care of the other issue. Who knows maybe I can get them to send me a new sheild or something to play with.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
That is a sweet looking intake. It looks well designed for general flow and keeping the heat transfer to a minimum.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
i got the same intake and i think its pretty good for the money

Old 06-26-2008, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Have a call into AFE to talk to them about the sheild. Lets see if they call back!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I just put mine in tonight. Took a little longer than I expected since I was missing all the nuts in the kit. I found two in my stash of nuts and bolts and replaced one of the other bolts with a similar sized one I also had. Lesson there...never through a nut or bolt away, you never know when you might need one. Anyway, other than that it fit great, and since I have a manual the dip stick issue isnt an issue.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
nice intake I have the same one also and loving it.i want to know about the carb sticker too please keep us informed about it...

Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned
Rod-
In the SRI market, this one seems to be almost perfect in every regard except for access to imprtant stuff under the heat shield, and the CARB sticker. The CARB thing seems to be just a matter of time. Once applied, and paid for, it's up to the CARB to get around to issuing the sticker.

The sticker IS IMPORTANT to CA buyers. To buy my Fit, I sold my '97F-150 pickup with a K&N Typhoon intake, that HAD a CARB sticker. When I delivered the truck to the buyer, we took it together to his favorite Smog inspection station for the necessary inspection before transfer. The "smug", smog inspector took one look at the custom intake, and said "I can't pass that!!". I pointed to the sticker that he had ignored, and he went through the test procedure, and handed the buyer the copy of the report to the state, showing the passing data. He also said that this truck had LESS emissions than the last new (5 year old) F-150 that he had tested.

It is extremely unlikely that CA drivers will get pulled over for a speeding ticket and the cop also look under the hood for smog issues (unless you give him enough attitude to piss him off), but he has to be absolutely crazy to cite you for a custom intake. Might happen, but you really have to earn it with foolishness.

Last edited by manxman; 07-12-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Rod2Rice, did you ever hear back from AFE?
I'll be getting one of these intakes this weekend, and am just curious what they said.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
I did hear back from them, and their tech dept used a MT when they created this intake, so they had no idea about the issue with the AT. They didn't offer me any solution or anything. I ended up selling it, not for that reason just because it was a little loud for my taste, but if I had I was going to alter the sheild a little to gain access to the dipstick.

Two things I noticed after the intake was out and the stock box back in. There still is not a lot of room to get to the dipstick, and I have small hands and its still a bit of an issue. Second is that once the stock box and everything was back in, I noticed my intake temps were lower on my scangauge. I didn't have the gauge before I got the intake, installed it while I had the intake in, but I thought it was interesting the difference.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking about using some aluminum foil covered bubble wrap to insulate the sheet metal shield and direct more cold air to the intake.
It definitely is not a quiet intake under any kind of load. I like the sound when I'm driving hard, but when climbing a hill with a few people in the car, it's kinda obnoxious.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I know what you mean about the sound. If you want to wrap it up, get some heat reflective tape. I used the stuff on the CAI I had on my truck a few years back, wrapped the entire tube with it.

I'm thinking about getting some other cheap or homemade intake again, and maybe making my own shield. Got a welder for a gift a few months ago, and a friend is going to show me how to use it, so maybe this can be my first welding project, we'll see!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
wow pretty interesting intake there...

Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
you can thank me for that

they did the r&d on my car. my buddy u=is the tech there and i had a hand in the design. it was a tad bit different in the beginning, then i said a few things about the design.and there you have it

Last edited by gimme; 09-26-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
I have the AFE intake and I like it. The only time I felt it was too noisy was when I had a car full of people and was accelerating onto the freeway. I felt I had to make an excuse, I said it's really not working that hard it's just loud from the intake and exhaust.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I love how people talk bad about an intake and the "noise" it creates. Of course its going to make noise.
Turn the radio up.

I have this intake and love it.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
fitsportgirl - if you have the monies to burn, and are itching to mod your fit, then i/h/e start you off on the moding path. But if you are actually looking for some kind real HP gain, FI is the only way to go.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Agree on that!! Kinda hard to get real All-Motor power from an ''Economy minded'' 1.5l engine... Maybe somebody will show up with hotter cams and\or an ECU Reflash tuned for 92 Octane for that engine...?! But as for now, my mods are going to be Intake\Pulley\Headers\Exhaust in that order...

Marko!!