Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Midpipe install problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Midpipe install problem

so i get the Fit on stands, un-bolt the axle back, wait 15 min. for the car to cool down (drove 15min. to my gf's parents' house to install cause i don't have any tools). problem is that i couldn't get the damn nuts off of the portion that connects to the cat.

tried wd40. increased my leverage. pounded on it with a hammer. used an impact hammer and got one off but couldn't arrange it to get the other two off -- almost rounded off one of the nuts so i stopped.

i've run out of ideas. either i start doing push-ups or i take it to a muffler shop and see how much they'll charge me for the install . i'm open to some suggestions, thanks!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 PM
this sounds dumb, but i have done it many a time, make sure you are turning the right way, when you get under there, upside down and everything sometimes it turns out your trying to tighten the bolts

with really stuck bolts you can sometimes try to tighten them a little first, and this will break them loose when you go to loosen them,
but i am a little suprised that you couldn't remove them with an impact wrench, that makes something sound off...

Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
hey, thanks for the suggestion. at first i was turning them in the wrong direction --haha-- but after i got the first nut off i was sure i was torquing in the correct direction (lefty-loosy / righty-tighty LoL).

i've removed air-tight nuts/bolts on my alltrac in most contorted positions so i'm not completely understanding why the Fit is giving me such a difficult time.

Originally Posted by m-man@sbcglobal.net
this sounds dumb, but i have done it many a time, make sure you are turning the right way, when you get under there, upside down and everything sometimes it turns out your trying to tighten the bolts

with really stuck bolts you can sometimes try to tighten them a little first, and this will break them loose when you go to loosen them,
but i am a little suprised that you couldn't remove them with an impact wrench, that makes something sound off...

Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I recently removed my cat-back. The bolts/nuts were all rusted and tough to remove. I didnt use any type of lubricant, I used a hammer and wailed away.

They slowly backed off.

Id like to know how you got the impact in there? Impact gun Im guessing?
I had no room to fit mine. Couldnt even get an air ratchet in the area.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
i had problems too..but i just used a rigged breaker bar( my 1 ton jack poles) and just attached it.

it was hard..but i got it off.

the top bolt right?

Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Go to your autoparts store and pick up some PB-Blaster, it is hands down the best product ever. WD-40 is shit compared to PB. I used it on my header install and got the bolts off the stock header like butter.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
breaker bar ftw

Old 06-07-2008, 01:25 AM
J_L
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Go to your autoparts store and pick up some PB-Blaster, it is hands down the best product ever. WD-40 is shit compared to PB. I used it on my header install and got the bolts off the stock header like butter.
x2...PB Blaster is the best stuff for breaking through rust.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'm going to look into the PB blaster product that you're recommending.

Ray
I was only able to remove the bottom nut with the impact gun, i almost rounded off the 2nd nut trying to force it off. there's no way i was going to get to the top one with either the impact gun or air ratchet

worst case scenario, i'm going to take my car to a muffler shop and have them remove the nuts. my mid-pipe came with a new set of hardware so if anything happens to the Honda nuts/bolts, i'll have the 2nd set as insurance.

thanks again, everyone. i''ll post a new vid into the Exhaust Clips thread as soon as i get the mofo on.

Apexi WSII + Megan Mid-Pipe

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 06-07-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
you could use one of those swiveling adapter things on the impact gun to reach in there too.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Metal expands when it is hot. So I recommend to wait till the cat really cools down then try it.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Retired Moderator
When I had my B-Pipe installed, they had a tough time getting the same bolts off. To make it easier, the muffler shop just heated up the bolts with a torch and they came off like budda

Old 06-07-2008, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
these people are f'ing crazy. they want to charge me $40.00, i'm not asking to have the mid-pipe installed just to remove a few stubborn bolts.

i went to 4 different muffler shops and they all gave me the same price. i'm going to drive to "tha' ghetto (van nuys, LoL)" and see if i get better prices there.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
*LAUGHS* That sucks.

Just get down there and get dirty. Theyll come off. Im a little guy and I broke mine loose.
I did that double wrench trick. Put the first wrench on the nut/bolt, then connect another wrench on the open end of the first wrench.

Should be plenty of leverage.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Maybe some thread locking fluid was used on the bolts.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
no homo, finally got those nuts off

jacked up the Fit, slid under the passenger side, got a little angry, then flexed a little muscle. I got close to rounding off the top nut, but got lucky and broke it's bite on the bolt. since the car was already on stands, i went ahead and changed my oil too.

initial impressions, the exhaust is definitely louder; not much, but enough to let me know it's there. i can't say i feel an hp increase, but i did notice that i'm now able to accelerate uphill lower in the rpm band when i previously couldn't.

outdoor rev
YouTube - Honda Fit - Apexi World Sport 2

short jaunt around the block
YouTube - Honda Fit - Apexi World Sport 2. Short drive

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 06-08-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added videos
Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Yep, I remember it being really hard to remove when I installed my T1R pipe. I jsut put a long extension and a universal joint, it eventually came out.