Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Keep OE Muffler, Toss OE Resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Keep OE Muffler, Toss OE Resonator?

OK, it's a long shot, but has anybody ditched the OE resonator and kept the stock muffler? What I'm talking about is replacing the mid pipe and resonator with straight pipe and running through the stock muffler... what's that sound like, and has anyone run it on a dyno to see what difference it makes? Seems like the resonator is the first spot downstream of the cat to free up some HP, so maybe it's worth it. The stock muffler is so light, there's not much advantage in losing it for weight, but the pipe is small. Anything that opens up the system seems like it would be good.

I think this is something I may play with, but thought I'd ask the question first...

Thanks,

HF

Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
j's racing exhaust. half *or less* the weight of the stock piping and more noise than you could ever want :P

Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
The titanium construction is nice, but the $675 price tag is not. I'm sure I could live with a steel or stainless part and spend the remaining $600 on gas for the rest of the year...

Sound-wise, I'm not looking for loud, but not expecting OE levels of quietness, either. Just curious to see if anyone has done this swap, since quite a few folks have tossed their OEM muffler.

HF

Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned
I'm not sure the resonator is going to have enough of anything to really slow down your exhaust, but if you're going to run a new pipe you could always open that up a bit (it wouldn't take much size to get it done) and throw in an aftermarket resonator so it still takes the buzz out of the tone...

Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I'm guessing the resonator is pretty much straight-through, but it is the first restriction that the exhaust sees on the way out. If I went to a 2" straight pipe, there wouldn't be much restriction until it got to the muffler. Could be that the stock muffler relies so heavily on the resonator to cancel noise that it would sound like crap. Just the resonator sounds decent it seems, maybe just the muffler would, too.

HF