Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

New Filter = More HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 AM
New Filter = More HP?

How much more HP would a new/aftermarket filter give me? Maybe the K&N drop-in? Any suggestions/answers?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sam Misled
How much more HP would a new/aftermarket filter give me? Maybe the K&N drop-in? Any suggestions/answers?
I put the K&N drop in air filter in my Honda Fit. K&N does not guarantee any numbers in power gains, but their typhoon short ram system for the fit provides an increase of 5 hp. So the drop in filter can’t be that much if anything. However, I have noticed better throttle response and my gas mileage increased by about 1-1.5 mpg on the highway.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Sam Misled

from my understanding what builds hp in an intake is not the filter but, the technology/design of the system. therefore just adding a new filter will not help you lower temp or get more air in your system, but when you add a SRI or CAI you are actually redirecting the piping so that your moving the heat source (i.e. engine) away from the piping used to "inhale" the air to cool it off. Size along with design will make more hp as well (i.e. power chambers) they make more b/c they are bigger and can get MORE air to cool off along with less restrictions so air can flow better and quicker

Old 04-26-2008, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
when i change my stock air filter, i'll be using a k&n filter. just because it'll last forever. washing a filter>replacing a filter

Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
The technology of the system is the most important for increasing power and lowering the temperature of the air brought in. However, some drop in elements such as K&N, Mugen, and Spoon do promise more air flow because of the technology behind the filter element. Most aftermarket drop in filters will breathe better than the paper one from Honda. But don’t tell that to the Honda dealers, they will deny it until death to sell you another paper one.
But you are right; to get guaranteed power increases you need to go with a cold air intake, short ram intake, or power chamber. When my 60,000 mile warranty is up I will upgrade to the K&N Typhoon intake for a 5hp increase.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
^^^do a little search on the k&n intake,you may not want to get that one.

And also look up the "magnusson moss act".You dont need to wait until your warrantee is over,the dealer cant deny your claim unless they can prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of the problem.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
New Filter <> More HP