Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Turbo question/need answers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Turbo question/need answers

Hi, I made my fit turbo about 3 weeks ago. yesterday while on first gear, as i started to drive, there was a cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust. Then, once I parked the car I left it on Neutral and I revved the engine a little bit to about 3000rpm and it smoke once again. Then today I found a straight away and decided to floor it a little, I boosted it to 5psi, starting from 2500rpm to 4500rpm and two huge clouds of smoke appeared. 1 when I floored and the second when I shifted to third. I'm not sure if the smoke is white or blue since I have my windows tinted and I only had a quick glance. What should I do? What could happen? Which smoke is which? And any other question any of you might think usefull for me to know would be greatly appreciated. By the way, my car has factory setup, same injectors, fuel regulator and pump, and stock ecu, but it's temporary untill I install them and finish looking for the parts.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Banned
Your turbo setup may be screwing with the MAP sensor when the turbo produces boost over atmospheric pressure causing an over rich condition. Do you get a MIL (check engine light)?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by claymore
Your turbo setup may be screwing with the MAP sensor when the turbo produces boost over atmospheric pressure causing an over rich condition. Do you get a MIL (check engine light)?
LOL MIL...Claymore I thought you were going to ask him if he got something else hahaha.. in which case I need to make me a custom turbo that blows clouds of smoke out my exhaust

Last edited by Illusive; 04-03-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Um..the check engine turns on from time to time, but all i do is disconnect the battery, reconnect it and the check engine goes off. I also thought about the fact that my oil lubricating line to the turbine goes from the v-tec oil. Would it affect it because of this. I mean would it be better if I send it from the engine oil? or could I keep it at the v-tec oil?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned
The next time the light comes on you need to get the trouble code. Do you know anyone with a code checker? Maybe try an auto parts place some of them on the mainland will check them and give you the results for free.

Where did you tap the oil system to get that oil? I'm not quite sure what you mean by you are getting oil supply from the Vtec.

But either way that should not make your engine smoke if your turbo is in good shape.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Puertorican Jazz
Hi, I made my fit turbo about 3 weeks ago. yesterday while on first gear, as i started to drive, there was a cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust. Then, once I parked the car I left it on Neutral and I revved the engine a little bit to about 3000rpm and it smoke once again. Then today I found a straight away and decided to floor it a little, I boosted it to 5psi, starting from 2500rpm to 4500rpm and two huge clouds of smoke appeared. 1 when I floored and the second when I shifted to third. I'm not sure if the smoke is white or blue since I have my windows tinted and I only had a quick glance. What should I do? What could happen? Which smoke is which? And any other question any of you might think usefull for me to know would be greatly appreciated. By the way, my car has factory setup, same injectors, fuel regulator and pump, and stock ecu, but it's temporary untill I install them and finish looking for the parts.
could be one of many things.

first of all, you should have NOT ran stock ecu with boost as the ecu does not know what to do when it sees boost. which can cause serious engine damage. you should have at least gotten some kind of engine management that has a basemap for the setup. This is why a tune is so important.

-what color is the smoke?
if white, u either blew a headgasket and coolant is seeping thru.
if blue, u either have blown the rings, oil residue in the turbo, oil seals on the turbo blown, etc. basically, blue=oil, white=coolant.

If i were u, TAKE OFF THE TURBO! Put everything back to stock, and see if it behaves odd again. Just hope and pray that it was just oil residue.

If u dont want to take it off, do not run the car. Get a compression test done and post up results.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe have somebody rev your car and stand in the back and see what color the smoke is.
You can also smell it if your running rich.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 PM
About the rich and lean oil

A friend of mine told me that since my oil line to the turbine was coming from the v-tec oil crank then it would probably be lacking oil since obviously v-tec opens at about 4000rpm. And that he has his at the engines oil crank and he has no problems what so ever. So, idk, would that work? Also, another friend got into the car and told me that he could smell a whole lot of gasoline, so..i'm guessing there's a whole lot of gas and not too much oil whereas allot of air. So it could be everything you guys said or it could be a bad mixture, cuz I made the car turbo 3 weeks ago, but I first boosted it last wednesday and yesterday was the first time I had the smoke and I had'nt even boosted the car at all during the day. Also, I have an emanage blue that I'm going to install tomorow.

Last edited by Puertorican Jazz; 04-03-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Adding information, and one last thing
Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I know a lot of people will tell you differently, but a turbo setup really needs an independent oil feed. You will want to check your oil level, and take off your intake and check to see if you have a burnt smell coming from there. Also, check your charge pipe(s) to see if you have any residual oil building up in there. If you have an intercooler (and you had better), you can look for oil there as well. You need to have a wideband O2 sensor and gauge in your car if you don't already!!!!!!!!!!! You also need to do the proper fuel upgrades as well as a proper fuel map/tip sensor combo. I suggest a safc-2 or d-tech. You may want to run a 2-step for your boost control so you don't end up pulling timing on your top end of the R's and end up with knock.

My bet is you are starving your turbo of oil, and starving your top end of oil at the same time. You will be replacing the turbo, and your piston rings soon (for starters) i you don't wise up pretty fast.

long story short. Don't be cheap when doing a forced induction on a N/A car. Do the proper mods, or waste $16k on a car to torch.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Puertorican Jazz
A friend of mine told me that since my oil line to the turbine was coming from the v-tec oil crank then it would probably be lacking oil since obviously v-tec opens at about 4000rpm. And that he has his at the engines oil crank and he has no problems what so ever. So, idk, would that work? Also, another friend got into the car and told me that he could smell a whole lot of gasoline, so..i'm guessing there's a whole lot of gas and not too much oil whereas allot of air. So it could be everything you guys said or it could be a bad mixture, cuz I made the car turbo 3 weeks ago, but I first boosted it last wednesday and yesterday was the first time I had the smoke and I had'nt even boosted the car at all during the day. Also, I have an emanage blue that I'm going to install tomorow.
oil psi remains pretty high throughout. Its like this with all Honda's.

Like i said, get a compression check ASAP before even running your car again.

You should have installed the engine management FIRST and got a basemap made for it. I'm pretty sure u did some damage by now. boosting even 4psi untuned can spell catastrophic failure.

Cavie, safc-2/d-tech is less capable of tuning vs. emanage. Only fuel upgrade at this point are the injectors. And he would need the proper EMS to set the injector sizing.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 AM
my guess is bad turbo seal
did you tap the oil feed line by the Vtec solenoid?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
he can only hope its just a bad seal and nothing else. Its throwing codes, so its already affecting the motor in one form or another. It wont code for a blown turbo seal.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX

Cavie, safc-2/d-tech is less capable of tuning vs. emanage. Only fuel upgrade at this point are the injectors. And he would need the proper EMS to set the injector sizing.
Very true. I am used to dealing with my car. lol

Old 04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
you still make a good point though, NEVER cheap out when it comes to forced induction.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
you still make a good point though, NEVER cheap out when it comes to forced induction.
White smoke could be a blown turbo....with the lack of oil to the turbo...no?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
well, it really depends. You cant pinpoint it without removing the turbo and seeing if it does that on stock engine.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Not trying to steal the thread, but
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ogrammers.html

You never should run a NA car on forced induction unless you have a remap done for your setup. What happens is the computer will not be able to pull enough timing to reduce knock since it's underfueled. This makes pistons go bye bye. see if you can look up preignition or detonation.

Knock comes from two places, lack of fuel, or too much timing... that in mind you can just throw fuel at it to a certain extent, then you need to start dropping the timing down. very painful process that takes a long time to learn.

Here's hoping you didn't nuke the engine.

Last edited by alphaseinor; 04-04-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
WEll..

the car is drying up, all because the engine is not recieving enough fuel and therefore obviously it's burning up oil. So, atm the car is infront of my house w8ing for the injectors I ordered, 370cc. And once I install them, I'll put in the emanage.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
adding in bigger injectors wont automatically add fuel for you. if anything, it'll take away.

i hope u know what you're doing....

Old 04-05-2008, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
hardcore man. sounds kind of scary tho lol
i know sh!t bout forced induction btw

Quick Reply: Turbo question/need answers